Mercury Cougar Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your Mercury Cougar
- Battery Light Due to Damaged Alternator Wire Harness Connector
- Blown/Cracked Head Gasket Can Cause White Smoke From Exhaust
- Check Engine Light on Due to Clogged EGR Passage in Intake Manifold
- Plastic Intake Manifold May Crack Causing Coolant Leak
- Loose/Worn Inner Tire Rod Ends Can Cause Steering/Tire Wear Problems
- Flower Hill Automotive (301) 685-0948 | 19.3mi
- Coho Automotive LLC (571) 358-8099 | 19.75mi
- Scott's Specialties Inc (301) 563-9796 | 20.65mi
- Marv & Mikes Transmission & Auto Repair (301) 637-4993 | 20.98mi
- Adrenaline Automotive (301) 640-5604 | 23.16mi
- Precision Tune Auto Care (703) 468-4903 | 18.83mi
- Winkler Automotive Service Center (301) 258-2774 | 17.37mi
- Hillmuth Certified Automotive of Gaithersburg (301) 547-3338 | 20.09mi
- Cardinal Plaza Shell (703) 349-4624 | 22.86mi
- Convenience Car Care Center (703) 594-4027 | 20.27mi
Mercury Cougar Problems
The battery light may illuminate on the instrument panel because the alternator wire harness connector is damaged. A new connector kit is available and should be installed to correct this concern.
White smoke coming from the exhaust could indicate that a head gasket has blown or there is a cracked cylinder head. Our technicians tell us that removal and inspection of the cylinder heads will be required to confirm a crack is present.
The Check Engine Light can illuminate with codes due to the lack of EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) flow caused by the intake manifold passage plugging up with carbon and oil. The EGR valve has to be removed and the passage cleaned thoroughly. Partial restriction of this passage can cause Smog test failures for the NOx emissions without causing a drivability symptom.
Mercury Cougar Questions
Starting up the car is fine. It is when I'm coming to a stop and then pressing the gas to go when I get a sputter then it stops. When I crank it up it won't start, until I put the car in neutral and move the car off the road, that when I start it up and the car comes on.
they also removed only 1 spark plug....
I just need to take the inner door part on the driver side door and I can't find what screws i need to un-screw to take off the inner panel
Mercury Cougar Recalls
Mercury Cougar Reviews
CAr runs fine while idleing and you can even drive it as long as you excelerate slowly.if you press the gas pedal to go faster the car boggs down and has extremly low power. has all new spark plug,wires and air filter.we had a mechanic ? look at it and he said all catalatic converters were stopped up so I unbolted the exhaust from the car and stll bogged down every time the gas was pressed. do ...
I have a 1993 mercury cougar xr7. my dashboard lights and tail lights just recently went out, all my other lights work perfectly fine. i've checked the all the fuses and bulbs. Any suggestions on what it could be or how to fix it?
I bought this car at 112,000 miles. I absolutely love it. It is very dependable, comfortable, drives wonderfully. I have had no real problems with the car. I will drive it till it dies!