Mercury Cougar Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your Mercury Cougar
- Battery Light Due to Damaged Alternator Wire Harness Connector
- Blown/Cracked Head Gasket Can Cause White Smoke From Exhaust
- Check Engine Light on Due to Clogged EGR Passage in Intake Manifold
- Plastic Intake Manifold May Crack Causing Coolant Leak
- Loose/Worn Inner Tire Rod Ends Can Cause Steering/Tire Wear Problems
- When changing the crankshaft and camshaft sensors is it necessary to time it?
- On an 2002 Mercury Cougar what make the fuel pump come on?
- If the shop I took my car to drive it off the lift are they liable for the damage. After I left the alignment place my car started making a weird noise when I turned took it back and it was the ctrl arm on the front pass side also if thy brk prts do Ipay
- will not start.
- What's the Cost to replace power steering pressure hose at a shop?
Mercury Cougar Problems
The battery light may illuminate on the instrument panel because the alternator wire harness connector is damaged. A new connector kit is available and should be installed to correct this concern.
White smoke coming from the exhaust could indicate that a head gasket has blown or there is a cracked cylinder head. Our technicians tell us that removal and inspection of the cylinder heads will be required to confirm a crack is present.
The Check Engine Light can illuminate with codes due to the lack of EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) flow caused by the intake manifold passage plugging up with carbon and oil. The EGR valve has to be removed and the passage cleaned thoroughly. Partial restriction of this passage can cause Smog test failures for the NOx emissions without causing a drivability symptom.
Mercury Cougar Questions
new: battery,alt.,starter,ignition module,all relays in engine compartment( battery starter alt.,fuse link wire);locksmith confirmed the (PATS)is working
I know the Distributor mounted TFI causes this, But the TFI is mounted on the radiator on the 1988. What can cause this problem?
Mercury Cougar Recalls
Mercury Cougar Reviews
I have a 1993 mercury cougar xr7. my dashboard lights and tail lights just recently went out, all my other lights work perfectly fine. i've checked the all the fuses and bulbs. Any suggestions on what it could be or how to fix it?
CAr runs fine while idleing and you can even drive it as long as you excelerate slowly.if you press the gas pedal to go faster the car boggs down and has extremly low power. has all new spark plug,wires and air filter.we had a mechanic ? look at it and he said all catalatic converters were stopped up so I unbolted the exhaust from the car and stll bogged down every time the gas was pressed. do ...
I bought this car at 112,000 miles. I absolutely love it. It is very dependable, comfortable, drives wonderfully. I have had no real problems with the car. I will drive it till it dies!