1997 Mercury Cougar Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your 1997 Mercury Cougar
- I have a major oil leak, drips continuously when car is running,
- Passinger seat in my car will not move,its electrical, the up & down buttons
- what else could be wrong, new fuel pump n filter, new modular, new plugs
- Why does GPS pop out of cig lighter every few seconds after plugging it in?
- I REPLACED COMPLETE FRONT END NOW I HAVE NO HORN AIR BAG LIGHT STAYS ON FLASHES
1997 Mercury Cougar Problems
The battery light may illuminate on the instrument panel because the alternator wire harness connector is damaged. A new connector kit is available and should be installed to correct this concern.
White smoke coming from the exhaust could indicate that a head gasket has blown or there is a cracked cylinder head. Our technicians tell us that removal and inspection of the cylinder heads will be required to confirm a crack is present.
The composite (plastic) intake manifold may crack near the thermostat housing and cause a coolant leak. Ford released an updated manifold that was reinforced to prevent a recurrence. No recall was issued for this problem but Ford did extend the warranty to seven years on some models from the date of purchase.
1997 Mercury Cougar Questions
check and add oil continuously, leaks from front of car
It seems to think it is heating the cig lighter
NO CRUSE CONTROL ALL SO