Abnormal Noise From Driveline on Ford Escape

An abnormal noise may develop from the transfer case. At this time parts are not available to repair internal damage to this type of transfer case, replacement is the only option. It is not uncommon for irregular tire wear to cause a similar noise. Diagnoses should be performed to confirm the actual cause of the driveline noise. Tire noise can be reduced by rotating the tires at least every 5000 miles.

RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 108,983 (50,000–155,000)
Drive Trains affected: 4WD, Automatic Transmission
9 model years affected: 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005, more2006, 2007, 2008, 2011, 2013
33 people reported this problem
Viewing
of
problem details
2008 Ford Escape - 4WD 67,380 mi,
Noise from the transfer case. Have been told it would have to be replaced at the cost of $3000.00 dollars. Ford Motor Company will not help in any way. Because there has not been enough complaints about this problem. As for me and my family we would not recommend buying a Ford product at any time in our lifetime.
2005 Ford Escape - 4WD 109,000 mi,
Same here. Transfer case. Awd. Still making payments on it to. Waiting to see how much it's going to cost. Single and only income. Seriously have no money to fix it or buy a new car.
2005 Ford Escape - 4WD 120,000 mi,
Sounds like rolling metal in transfer case/PTO. And trans fluid leak comong from left side of trans where axle shaft goes into transmission.
Toothed gear in the transfer case could break loose on it's shaft. It creates a loud noise. Ford doesn't sell internal parts for the transfer case, only seals. Unfortunately you need to replace the entire transfer case. Make sure your wheels/tires are the same size and rotated in every oil changes. Even a small difference on the tires overall diameter will put lots of stress to the transfer case.
TRANSFER CASE - CAN BE REBUILT... IF YOU TAKE IT APART YOU CAN GET NEW SEALS IN THE USA BUT NOT IN CANADA. MY MECHANIC IN DOMINICAN REP - WHO WAS AMERICAN. REBUILT THE TRANFERS CASE. THE PART THAT WENT WAS A GEAR ON A SHAFT - HE HAD IT RE-LEVELED AND PRESSED AND WELDED AGAIN AND MACHINED IT. WHICH COST ONLY 20 BUCKS IN THE DR. BUT WILL PROBABLY BE 200 IN THE USA. THE BEARING WERE EASY TO FIND AT A LOCAL BEARING SHOP AND WE USED VOLVO PREMIUM GASKET SEAL WHEN WE PUT IT BACK TOGETHER. NOTE- DONT BE CHEAP AND TRY NOT TO BUY THE SEALS - IT DIDNT WORK. I BOUGHT THEM AT FORD FOR ABOUT $150. ITS BEEN 2 YEARS NOW AND ITS STILL A SOLID REPAIR. IT TAKES ABOUT 12 HR LABOUR AND 3 HOURS TO REBUILD THE CASE WHEN U HAVE THE PARTS- AND YOU WILL DEFINITLEY NEED TO USE A LIFT..
2008 Ford Escape - 4WD 152,000 mi,
Everything was fine and all of a sudden a bang car would not move easy the was able to crawl home with what sounded like pennies in a coffee can, was told transfer case needed to be replaced. coming at a bad time financially got a used one with 24K on it..... think its going again
2011 Ford Escape - 4WD 64,000 mi,
Transfer case is junk, needs new one. Ford has a problem!
2003 Ford Escape 150,000 mi,
What gear should I put my ford escape2003 in when needing 4 wheel drive.
2005 Ford Escape - 4WD 130,000 mi,
I have road noise on my 06 Escape. When I replace the tires it is almost gone. The noise gets so bad I would bet my 25 year auto repair reputation (if I didn't know better) that it was a differential problem. I went so far as to take the cover off the diff. and found nothing. I just live with it since I know that on mine it is tire and road noise.
2005 Ford Escape - 4WD 141,253 mi,
I had everything new put on my truck. I was told that the trasmissin transfer case was broken. I called every where to check out the price for a new trasmission. The price is the price of a new car. I just paid my car off
Dealer can't part. It's been 4 weeks now and part is still on back order.
2005 Ford Escape - 4WD 140,000 mi,
had to replace rear diff assy
heard a loud pop next day sound like a bunch of rocks rolling around loudly somewhere in the engine mechanic couldnt find problem noise stopped week later vehicle barely wanted to mantain speed and got really loud as if i was on a flat with a bunch of rocks rolling inside mechanic said something came loose got lodged and cracked my transfer case tire good and transmission fluid good now its sitting at shop waiting to get fixed need new transmission after seeing all these complaints think il just let dealership have it and il get something better
2008 Ford Escape - 4WD 125,000 mi,
Noise when foot off gas coming from engine. Then metal grinding noise with car lurching, failing to accelerate or maintain speed normally. Had it towed in case I was damaging the engine more by driving it. Took it to local shop and they said it is the transfer case. Range is $3-1,400 depending on if I buy a new or rebuilt case.
2005 Ford Escape - Automatic Transmission
A few months ago I noticed a low roaring noise and think it is the driveshaft carrier bearing/ support. My 2005 Ford Escape has 318,200 miles and I had new tires put on today.... The technician confirmed my diagnosis of the carrier bearing after he had done the road test... I'll try to replace it next week
2008 Ford Escape - Automatic Transmission 98,000 mi,
2008 Ford Escape has transfer case leak in seal. Sounds like a common problem with this vehicle. Anything I can do other than pay the $1400 it costs
high pitched whine (loud) especially at around 60-65 mph. replaced transfer case
2007 Ford Escape - 4WD 128,000 mi,
Loud noise coming from car had a repair shop look at it they lifted it up on there hoist said it either had to do with the all wheel drive or the transmission
2004 Ford Escape - 4WD 78,000 mi,
A clunk when putting into reverse was told it was the 4wd transfer case
2008 Ford Escape - Automatic Transmission 50,000 mi,
2008 Mercury Milan Premier AWD. Sounds like the oil is out of the transfer case. I tried to drain/replace but there is no drain plug! I did manage to get a pint of 75-145 Synthetic gear oil in there but it still makes noise. The fill plug was caked with sludge so I can only imagine what the bottom of the case is filled with. Looking for a used one with low mileage.