Hyundai Santa Fe Problem Report

Hyundai Santa Fe Engine May Stall or Fail to Start Due to a Failed Crankshaft Position Sensor

(116 reports)

The crankshaft position sensor may fail, causing engine stalling or a failure to start. Replacement or the failed sensor will commonly correct this problem.

While driving my car around 25mph, without warning it suddenly died. Luckily I was traveling on a street that did not have alot of traffic and I was able to get my vehicle off of the road. I waited about 30 minutes, and then it started. This is my only vehicle, and I am a single mother with 4 children, so over the course of the next couple of weeks I continued to drive it, only when absolutely necesary and each time (approximately 7-8 times)the same thing would happen. I began to troubleshoot the problem online, and learned that other people were experiencing the same problem. The most troubling issue is that even when people have replaced the crankshaft position sensor, often times they still experienced the same problem or worse yet, their car would not even fire up. (and these were the lucky people that hadn't already spent alot of money replacing parts that didn't solve the problem either.) So I am really confused as to what to do from here......I cannot afford to take it to the dealer, which i was told that it will run about $300.00 to replace the cps, and then it still not work. After learning that so many consumers were having this problem,I am very dissapointed in Hyundai and they aren't doing anything about it! -
While driving along the engine "hiccups" just once. It doesn't do it everyday, just once in a while.To make a long story short, the "crankshaft position sensor" was bad. The sensor costs about $60 and is very easy to put in.(less than an hour) The wires rot on the sensor and touch each other causing a signal loss from the sensor. By the way; crankshaft sensors usually don't throw a code. -
On Feb. 2011 my engine began stalling and jerking until it turned off. Engine light immediately went on. Took it to dealership and was told a cylinder was misfiring and the program "computer box" was updated. Since then my engine drives and sounds like a pinto, loud engine accelaration and rattling under hood. AGAIN, October 2011 engine began stalling, jerking and would not accelerate past 10 miles and hour. Engine light turned on again. Again had towed to dealership and was told TWO cylinders were misfiring. Dealer kept my car for 6 days. I was told they were working with Hyundai Tech Line which was explained to me by service manager that usually problem has to be a bigger issue for his dept to contact 'tech line'. Again was told program 'computer box' was replaced with new version and that problem was fixed. I'm deadly afraid to drive my car on long trips, given that I am a single mom and both times this issue occurred at night. SOMEONE NEEDS TO HELP! -
Driving down road and all of a sudden the car just shut off. From the stopped position I put the car in park and tried to restart it. The car would start up fine but roughly 4-7 seconds later the car shuts off by itself again. From what I've been researching the Santa Fe's have a faulty "Crank-Shaft Sensor" in which it makes the SVU just shut off while driving. The manufacture knows of this problem but continues to ignore any and all permanent solutions. This problem isn't the worst part though! The worst part is having to pay anywhere from $300 to $500 to have it fixed. -
engine stalling while driving -
Driving down road and dies. Then will start and run for a few miles. Changed the fuel pump and worked fine for two weeks then died again. Was told it was the crankshift position sensor, replaced that and now will not fire at all -
car shuts off and will not restart -
This 2010 Santa Fe went in for its very first oil change at 1100 miles, and they reported this issue right at the dealership, as the car began to run roughly right in front of them. Imagine, a brand new car! Shame on Hyundai for having this issue for 10 years and not fixing it! This is my first Hyundai automobile. Hmmmm....... -
stalls 3or4 sec after starting. -
Replacing the crankshaft for the 2nd time this year -
same problem going down the road at 55mph and car just cuts off, would not start back up. had to waite 1/2 hour before it would start up, made it home. went to auto zone hooked it up to the machine and it saids it is the crankshaft sensor $90.00 + tax, now i need a diagram on how to replace it. going to try to fix it myself i don't have $300.00-$500.00 to replace it. this is really bad of hyundai for not putting a recall on this. alot of buyers are complaining and nothing is done. maybe when these buyers don't re-buy hyundai they will know why!!! you are suppose to stick by your vehicles and what you sell. fix the problem. you should pay for all these parts and labor. how would you like it, to be broke down on the side of the road with your family and children in 100 degree weather. not so cool. hyundai you better wake up. -
engine shuts off while driveing also parked at times won,t start -
Car stalled, lost power and died, needed to replace crankshaft sensor -
engine continually stalls when slowing down or at a stop although they aare still trying to diagnos problem and yet to arrive to answer. -
The car jerks and turns off while driving. I've had the coils, timing belt and crankshaft position sensor replace, but the car still continues to jerk and occasionally turn off while driving. I am paying the car off to a financing company, and cannot return it. I called Hyundai USA to complain, to no avail. I only drive the car within a 2 mile radius from my home, where the car still misbehaves at 30 mph. I have no clue what to do with the car! I love the space inside the car, but hate that it doesn't work! arghhh! -
Vehicle jerked and then the engine stopped as I was trying to pull over to the side of the road. I was able to get the crankshift sensor (and timing belt) fixed after a week of trying to find the problem and the correct part. Then about a year-and-a-half later, it happened again. I had the faulty part replaced only to find that a month later, my engine is bucking like a bronco - but not all the time. I am waiting to find out how much this is going to cost me now... -
Engine stalls when pulling out from a stop sign, or may hesitate when driving down the road. -
We had the crank shaft sensor replaced a year after buying it, and now 8 years later it needs to be replaced again. And thus isn't a recall? ! Seriously :( -
similar issue..Purchased as second owner in 05 with only 35,000 miles. 2009 catalytic converter replaced crankshaft sensor and timing belt replaced. since then had all sensors replaced within the past year 2012-2013 I've now had crankshaft its self replaced 3 times. April of this year my timing belt prematurely snapped damaging engine. Had to have intake valves replaced and sealed...I love stick shift Santa Fe but now at just 114000 check engine light came on again this time saying po101 Mass air flow which was also just changed within the past year. starting to feel Hopeless at 114000 I should be able to go another 100,000. 2014 back in the shop again throwing 5 codes ~ Jenny Melgar -
Starts and then stalls seconds after. Does a weird shuddering right before it stalls. Abbout 300 dollars to fix at the mechanic. Said its the crankshaft sensor. Just had both fuel sensors replaced 1 month ago. At this point seriously peeved because I got stuck with my kids in 90 degree weather and had to get towed to the shop. Wtf? Hyundai fix this problem now. -
I have had it diagnosed at least 3 times, including once by Hyundai Dealership. Codes for Camsh...
Original problem: Vehicle heats up and does not restart. After two hours vehicle would restar...
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/...
Changed out battery. Due for AZ emissions 2 days later. 02 Heat Sensor & Evap sensors showing N...