Mercedes-Benz ML500 Problem Report

Mercedes-Benz ML500 Stalling and/or "Crank no Start" Due to Failed Crankshaft Position Sensor

(33 reports)

The engine may develop a stalling and/or no start condition due to a failed crankshaft position sensor.

I had same issue with engine stalling after driving fine for a few minutes, up to an hour. I'd park the car, start again to drive, and engine stalls as soon as I am stopped at a light or stop sign. It will only crank but not start after this happens. I called for a tow, and before tow arrived, it restarts (only to stall again after driving about 2 miles) After researching issue, I had my crankshaft position sensor replaced. Happy as can be, drove towards home, only to have car stall AGAIN. However, this time it will restart, but as soon as I try to put it into drive or rev the engine in park, it stalls. Called a mechanic to help pull codes off computer (both times check engine light is illuminated), it says bad crankshaft position sensor. WHAT? So my mechanic drives it to his shop, but before arriving it stalls on him. Sitting at the side of road, he decides to check his work on crankshaft position sensor replacement from yesterday. With engine running he tries to feel for wire/sensor. It stalls as soon as he touches the wire. He restarts car and wiggles the wire again, and low and behold it stalls. Conclusion is that the sensor is probably ok, but the wire connector is bad. He is in the process of repairing wire now because MB wants $900 (yes with eyes wide open and jaw dropping) for the entire engine wire harness since they don't sell just the connector. Will update after repair to verify that was the issue. -
Car stalls frequently, usually at intersections of heavy traffic, hard to start. Starts sometimes after 20 to 45 minute cool down. Was diagnosed by Mercedes Road service person, and myself since I had one replaced in my 2002 S450, as a crankshaft sensor. The Mercedes dealer charged $120 to diagnose the problem even though I informed them of the situation. It appears the Crank Shaft Sensor is an ongoing problem across some years and models. The ML also needs a Power Steering Pump, quite expensive. I read on the Web that, for some reason, Mercedes uses "Cheap" motors. I feel a prestigious company like Mercedes, recognize chronic problems and subsidize the repairs in some fair fashion. -
replaced crankshaft position a few months ago and now it is happening again. -
Crankshaft Position Sensor Failure, $380.00 to repair at dealership -
Had to replace crank sensor and fuel pump after vehicle died at intersection. Cost to repair $1250! -
I am in the UK and I have a CLS 500 It only has 70,000 miles and has been routinely serviced I had trouble restarting the car on a few occasions recently and one day and noticed a warning symbol. I called my garage who said it sounded like a sensor problem and to bring it in for a test. Before I could get to the garage the car failed again in Central London and I had to have it towed by the AA .The AA man new immediately what it was; a failed crankshaft sensor . Similarly my garage, who replaced the sensor, had seen repeated similar problems. What was evident was that failure of this particular sensor is an apparently regular occurrence and what is more annoying is that it is failure of a device meant to protect one from more significant engine problems. I have two issues with Mercedes: 1. as this particular device has no function other than to warn of other potential problems and had never previously been activated why did it suddenly fail and cause me to be stranded in what could have been a dangerous situation 2. As the AA and my garage were aware of the problem with this particular sensor Why had no recall been issued by Mercedes or at least an advisory , They seem to be able to send out plenty of marketing collateral -
Typical symptoms- car stalling. -
UPON EXCELLERATION, THE CAR STALLS WHEN PRESSING THE GAS PEDAL. THIS HAPPENS OFTEN. -
Engine stopped running on freeway Restarted after 15 minutes stopped again after 5 minutes running. Ran codes found failure of the speed sensor .R&R part cleared codes all good. -
problem started leaving work, motor stalled . pulled over, then engine cranked several times and restarted after a few times. drove about 10 miles to my home. the next day however, drove a few times and vehicle drove fine. after it sat about another 4 hours i needed to go to the pharmacy, so went to start and all that took place was just crank , but no start. a half hour later, it started. i ran inside the house to grab my phone to go and discovered the motor had stalled again. after another 10 min. i checked the fuses, all was well. i then proceeded to trouble shoot. then located the fuel filter located next to the gas tank. tapped a few times, tried to start. it started. i backed out of my driveway to turn vehicle around and backed into the carport. after putting into park the motor stalled before i turned the key to the off position. -
car would not start. 2hrs later it started. I took it to Dave's Foreign Car Repair He fixed it for$378.79. Hope it works a while. Seems like I am having a lot of problems. the car has been taking very good care of I bought it new for my wife. -
Just purchased, haven't been give. It yet but already they've delayed by a week to sort this issue -
A week earlier the engine cranked a little long but started. The CEL came on but when off when I turn off and back on again. Today engine cranks and would not start. OBD-II code P0335. -
To begin with, the problem which involves the battery & (we were told)the crankshaft sensor, & later told, was due to corrosion on the battery posts, has not been diagnosed or fixed after two trips to the MB dealership. We were told at the last visit that the next thing they would try would be replacement of the battery casing and of the generic battery for an MB battery at a cost of over $700. We are NOT going to do this. The car has run on good non-MB batteries for 10 years. The battery is not holding a charge. The MB mechanics determined THAT much but found nothing that was drawing off the battery. Not sure this is related but about 7 years ago, the navigation unit stopped working; the radio and CD player soon followed. For the past 4 or 5 yeas the airbag light has been on; the MB mechanics checked the airbags & determined them to be completely functional, but the light comes on whenever we drive the car. The recurrent battery issue is typically heralded by the key not working to open the car door (but not always). The battery can stall when the car is running, when it slows in a parking lot or after it has been parked - for 5 minutes or overnight. It is completely unpredictable - nut once it's dead now, it's dead. We're on our 3rd battery in about as many months. I don't think the MB techs we see have a clue what's at the bottom of this. To me the car is a lemon and I love the ML's. This is my second. The first, a 2000 was 100% reliable. -
Car would crank but not start. removed key and it started the second time. Took it to independent mechanic who pulled the code and said it was the crank position sensor. $400 repair incl labor. -
Ingine abruptly stalls at intersections....requires couple of restarts to start the engine. -
while driving on the freeway the engine just cut off pull over to park try to restart the car.i...
The mass air flow (MAF) sensor may fail, resulting in drivability issues and/or illumination of...
An engine oil leak may develop from the oil level sensor. Replacement of the leaking sensor wil...
has engine oil leak, coming from top/front of engine