Stalling Due to Failed Crankshaft Position Sensor on Cadillac DeVille

The crankshaft position sensor may fail causing the engine to stall intermittently, the Check Engine Light may or may not illuminate.

RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 24,782,829 (11,000–2,147,483,647)
Engines affected: 4.6L V8, 4.9L V8
12 model years affected: 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, more1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005
118 people reported this problem
71 people shared problem details
After start up my 2003 Cadillac DHS vehicle will run for about two miles depending on speed then just shut down. Car will restart immediately and run perfectly. However it may intermittently shut down any time even in high speed traffic. Mine shut down on the parkway and I was almost rear ended by an 18 wheeler. This is very dangerous and I believe that the National Highway Safety Agency should be notified. This vehicle should have been recalled by Cadillac/GM regardless of age or mileage. This vehicle and this problem is very dangerous. I am going to complain to dealer and contact GM. Someone is going to get killed and I don't want it to be my wife and kids or yours.
60 people like thisFlag inappropiate
Pull up to stop and the engine shuts down. Then I have to restart engine.
18 people like thisFlag inappropiate
My car dies at lights and sometimes while driving but restarts right away
16 people like thisFlag inappropiate
2001 Cadillac DeVille137,000
car intermittantly turns off restart is fine then wont occur for a few days doesnt seem to b any rhyme or reason to it
12 people like thisFlag inappropiate
It shuts off sometime and u just restart it and it drives really good is this a serious problem because it drives smooth whats the cost for this to get fix crankshaft sensor
12 people like thisFlag inappropiate
2004 Cadillac DeVille145,000
misfire, rough idle, replaced crank sensor and fixed intake air leaks.
11 people like thisFlag inappropiate
2000 Cadillac DeVille126,000
on freeway in fast lane car just shut off, had to use emergency side, then restarted and had to rocket on freeway. very dangerous.
9 people like thisFlag inappropiate
2002 Cadillac DeVille140,000
My car continues to jerk and almost goes dead when stopped at a red light.
8 people like thisFlag inappropiate
2003 Cadillac DeVille100,000
engine stalls.........driving, idleing.........must stop vehicle & restart
6 people like thisFlag inappropiate
1995 Cadillac DeVille- 4.9L V8150,000
while on freeway after a few miles my car died and would not restart
6 people like thisFlag inappropiate
Is it the crankshft sensor or camshaft sensor
1 person likes thisFlag inappropiate
Sometimes when I go to start itit dosnt want to start and its hard getit started then at times it starts fine butata lightor at randommoments it just turns off.
2002 Cadillac DeVille196,000
My 2002 Deville cuts off in traffic. It starts back up, but this is a serious problem. My mechanic doesn't know where to start.
1995 Cadillac DeVille- 4.9L V8113,000
when i turn the key on my 1995 cadillac deville i get nothing please help
1 person likes thisFlag inappropiate
engine stall's sometimes at idol. no dash lites come on.
1 person likes thisFlag inappropiate
the car will just shut off and this was fixed by a dealership...who can I repot this to.
1 person likes thisFlag inappropiate
I used online research to troubleshoot the issue. I ordered the part and replaced it myself. It was a pain to replace !
2003 Cadillac DeVille2,147,483,647
I have a 2003 Cadillac CTS. It has off and on just turned off while driving it. Most times it turns itself back on but sometimes we have to restart it. I thought the key recall was the problem and was thankful when u had that recall taken care of. But it had happened since then. It's very scary to loose power steering and brakes while traveling on 95 or any other road. I also feel like it's a life and death situation and it needs to be recalled!!!
i have changed the ignition coil packs and the spark plugs due to the codes sadi misfire in banks 1 and 2 but now the crankshaft sensor code pops up and mechanics say there are two but need to replace the camshaft sensors also..what a crock of sugar honey ice tea.
My car just turns off/stalls without warning. It always is when my foot is off the gas. It has happened mostly while at a stop or coming to a stop. It has always started back up but the problem is getting worse daily and a check engine light sometimes goes on. This is very dangerious as it happens enen while turning corners. I could get rear ended. I quickly put in neutral and it starts back up while I am still rolling around the turn. i am afraid the dealer will charge me for thing I do not need.
where is the crankshaft positioning sensor
The steering wheel position sensor may fail, resulting in the service stability message being d...
I just need to know which cylinder is the #1 in a 4.9 litre engine in a 1991 DeVille Thanks, B...
where is crankshaft position sensor in a 1991 cadillac deville