Acura
RL

Engine Stalls While Driving and Will not Start on Acura RL

Problem Description and Possible Solution

The 1996-2006 Acura RL may have issues with the fuel pump and fuel injection relays.

These relays send power to the fuel pump and fuel injectors when the key is turned to the “ON” position. So, when they fail, there is no electrical current to the necessary fuel system components to send fuel into the engine, causing engine stalling or failure to start.

In this situation, there are many other possibilities, so testing components is vital for time and money savings.

If the relays test bad, they must be replaced with relays specific for that circuit.

To help prolong the life of your under-hood electrical components, ensure the lid for the fuse block is closed, and any factory sealing material is correctly installed.

Problem Data
RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 184,018 (110,000–250,000)
11 model years affected: 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, more2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006
34 people reported this problem
Comments
Viewing 1 - 9 of 9 comments
My 1997 rl cut off several times abruptly while driving (not while slowing down) within a couple of weeks. Whenver it happened, I pulled over, turned the ignition off, and it started back up with no problem. Then, today, it wouldn't start at all. My mechanic checked the fuel pump fuse on the inside, and then changed the fuel pump relay next to the fuel pump and the car started fine. A couple of days later it began cutting off again, and now won't start.It sounds like its out of gas, but it isn,t. What could you suggest
My car was driving just fine when I went shopping one day. When I came out of the store it wouldn't start. It was acting like it was out of fuel but I had a full tank. I had it towed in to the dealer{the only shop that could get it done that day}. I was told it was the relay sensor and it would cost just over 300 dollars.
My Rl would just crank! I had the batt disconected for a week and just reconnected it the car started right up. Any suggestions guys?
Acura RL occasionaly cuts off. On restart it goes as usual. This problem happened last summer and now again once, so far, this summer
Car stop while driving, would not start back, sounds like it was out of gas. Relay had burn marks, cost $200 for repairs