Cooling System Problems Cause Head Gasket Failure on Subaru Legacy

The head gasket has a high failure rate due to cooling system problems. Subaru is aware of the problem and has extended the warranty to 8 years/100k miles on many vehicles.

RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 108,277 (36,000–183,000)
Engines affected: 2.5L 4 Cylinder, 2.5L 4 Cylinder Turbo, 3.0L 6 Cylinder, 3.6L 6 Cylinder
11 model years affected: 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, more2002, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011
44 people reported this problem
26 people shared problem details
2003 Subaru Legacy- 2.5L 4 Cylinder
First time, it was a slow oil leak. The second time, the A/C went out while driving and, 10 min later, the check engine light went on. The tow truck guy found a large puddle of liquid under the car when he picked it up. The mechanic that did the work the first time couldn't believe it happened again since he thought Subaru fixed the issue. It is mind blowing to me that, regardless of who does the repair or how many miles are on the, that they won't stand behind their product on a known issue. They are happy to help me buy a new car (of course). I have been a loyal Subaru owner since 1984. My solution will probably be to not buy another Subaru, not because they aren't good cars (most of the time) but because they aren't the company they used to be. Customer service, to me, can right any wrong.
2011 Subaru Legacy- 2.5L 4 Cylinder80,000
coolant pressure blows off res. cap and shoots coolant all over engine. does it spuratically.
2011 Subaru Legacy- 2.5L 4 Cylinder95,000
Subaru told me that the warranty is only for 60,000 and it has not been extended for the 2011 legacy.... Less than 4 years only and the repair cost about 3000...
2001 Subaru Legacy- 2.5L 4 Cylinder99,995
I saw small amounts of oil on driveway. Took it to the dealership, got an estimate of 2000 oe so to fix. Called Subaru Customer Service , a week later I got a call that it was covered. Subaru covered the entire cost of replacing both head gaskets. Made me happy.
2010 Subaru Legacy- 2.5L 4 Cylinder80,000
Has been overheating weeks apart and coolant pressure blows off res. cap and shoots "Subaru super" coolant all over engine. Hoses are good, heater core fine. Had the radiator, thermostat, radiator cap and fan switch replaced. Still the blinking red light persist (2 days after the repairs). It was Tested for HG leak and mechanic says head gasket is not blown and compression is good. Going back to the shop again!!! First and likely last Subaru.
2011 Subaru Legacy- 2.5L 4 Cylinder60,000
Overheats in weather over 90 degrees after highway driving. Usually 5 to 10 minutes after getting off hwy.
2001 Subaru Legacy- 2.5L 4 Cylinder139,835
Head gaskets began to leak at 139,835 miles...have had issues with the cooling systemsince the head gasket recall.
2001 Subaru Legacy- 2.5L 4 Cylinder85,000
The local Subaru dealer- Spurr in Brockport NY- the head gasket was leaking and my repair costs would by $1000 plus so I took it to a local mechanic who researched the issue and told me Subaru had issued a large number of repair bulletins on this issue and although they did not do a recall often fixed it at no cost. He suggested I call the Subaru regional rep and I did. Twenty minutes later I got a call from Spurr offering to fix it and no cost, which they did. I will buy my next car from Van Bortel Subarun in Victor.
2008 Subaru Legacy- 2.5L 4 Cylinder79,000
Mechanic stated that there was a head gasket leak and needs to be replaced. Work hasn't been done yet. Cost: $2,995.00.
2003 Subaru Legacy- 2.5L 4 Cylinder100,000
Oil keeps going down but no drips on garage floor. Just had the oil service and was told that it needed a reseal and coolant getting into the engine.
2011 Subaru Legacy- 2.5L 4 Cylinder
2011 Subaru Legacy- The cars temp gage would turn red here and there, loss of coolant thru overflow here and there, only overheated one time, filled with water to take to Subaru of Bedford, told me it was wire harness 800 bucks, changed thermostat, told me it was then my fuse box and wanted 1100 for that which I knew was not the cause of heating and cooling so I sent car back to where I got it and they couldn't find the problem either but told me was not the fuse box. They sent it to another Subaru dealer in Brunswick and they said heads are blown. 58 thousand miles so lucky for me it's still under warranty and won't cost me another 2000 bucks! I got it used in Nov 2015 and it still has temp plate on it because it has been in the shop more than we have been able to drive it. Never another sub!!! Bad choice!! I'll stick with Chevy or Ford next time around.
2007 Subaru Legacy- 2.5L 4 Cylinder139,000
On 11/19/15, I purchased A 2007 Subaru Legacy 2.5, 4 cylinder Sedan. The prior day I smelled a funny mist that I thought was antifreeze...They said it was corrected....2 my heater wouldn't work for 5 minutes....the dealer's mechanics said it may be a heater core....next day car ran hot....it was discovered to be the head gasket....They still trying to fix car....I've been out of a car for 20 days....
2008 Subaru Legacy- 2.5L 4 Cylinder42,000
Well-maintained Subaru Legacy had both head gaskets fail. Cannot afford a $3,000.00 fix. Would never recommend a Subaru to anyone and will never buy another one. Subaru knew of faulty head gaskets and never rectified the problem.
2000 Subaru Legacy- 2.5L 4 Cylinder125,000
I have a 2000 Subaru Legacy and its overheating I was told it could be a head gasket I put coolant in and it must burn it off or going somewhere keeps overheating right away after I put coolant in its un drivable
2006 Subaru Legacy- 2.5L 4 Cylinder99,000
Dealership said that the head gasket needs to be repaired/replaced?
2006 Subaru Legacy- 2.5L 4 Cylinder70,000
Had to replace head gaskets on my Outback,I complained about something smelling hot around 20,000 miles. Will never buy another Subaru. Something always neeeds to be fixed.
2011 Subaru Legacy- 2.5L 4 Cylinder100,562
I had the same issue with the car leaking oil and found that you cant use aftermarket oil filters. Everyone that i tried would leak. I ended up taking my car into a subaru dealership to have an oil change and i havent had a leak since.
2001 Subaru Legacy- 2.5L 4 Cylinder110,000
I had to pay to have it repaired. I will never buy another Subaru
2008 Subaru Legacy- 2.5L 4 Cylinder142,000
I have not been able to fix the problem, as the repairs and labor for the head gasket situation are out of my budget.
2000 Subaru Legacy- 2.5L 4 Cylinder125,000
overheat, $2500 fix, new timing chain, tune up, oil change etc.
Head gasket blew, and water mixed with the oil.I am told that I should have all gaskets & seals...
My vehicle is a Legacy Outback. Some times I smell a burning smell. Some times it smells like o...
Engine overheats and antifreeze is lost through the overflow. Have replaced head gasket, water...
I loose about a quart of oil every 3000 miles. Can I ignore the leak and keep topping up? The...
If i continue to buy spark plugs, replacing the damp oil ones the car will start. If i need a...