Problem Description and Possible Solution
An illuminated Check Engine Light
could mean that the intake manifold control lever is broken. An updated intake manifold should be installed.
Problem DataRepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 89,333 (45,000–159,000)
Engine affected: 2.0L 4 Cylinder DOHC
6 people reported this problem
I have two focus SVTs a 2002 and a 2004.
I had the infamouse IMRC code on both of them.
When I started the car I could hear the IMRC start and then release.
After some searching on the internet I worked up rnough knowledge to decide to attempt to fix it,
this is what I did and found out
1) the IMRC on a taurus or contour 32 valve is the esame as a focus SVT with the exception of the cable that attaches to the runner control piece on the intake. You can remove the cable and replace with your SVT cable if needed.
2) check the little button on the IMRC manifold t see if it is broken off
If it is go to ebay or tousley ford and order the cover remove the clip and cap and fixed
3) if the cap is good carefully remove the cable Crawl nder the drives side fender look up and remove the 3 bolts retaining the IMRC ( for ease of access to the cable remove the airbox and battery tray.
4) the IMRC can be disassemble without unsoldeing anything I posted how to accomplish this on the focus website.
5) once the circuit board and motor are removed take a fingernail emery board and carefully run it between the contact points until you think you have cleand suffucientlly between the contacts.
6) replace the motor and circuit board and carefully reseal aroounf the outside of the connector and metal housing and also arounf the cover.
7) carefully reinstall the IMRC on the fender, hook up the cable and ENJOY
I have done this on 3 different IMRCs and to date they all still function as good as new.
when i bought the car it had the check engine light on, the guy said it was because the dsi cable was broken, so he replaced it and the the light came back on later down the road. the reason it came back on was because of the dsi actuator the box that controls when to pull the lever open. i replaced it and now my cel is off
There is a rattleing sound. I made a linkage support that will hold the lever to the ball on all 6 butterflys. But noise is still there. Do i have to make my own linkage design for it to stop or what.... For what a new goes for, i can design a better one....