Volvo XC90 Car Problems

Audio System Problems May Be Due to Software Issues on Volvo XC90

Problem Description and Solution

Problems with the audio system have been reported. There are software upgrades available that will address certain issues. Problems unrelated to software issues will require standard repair procedures.

(91 people reported this problem)

Problem Data

RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 113,849 (25,000–204,784)
6 model years affected: 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, more2008, 2009

Not Your Volvo XC90 Problem?

Brake problem? Or maybe a faulty head gasket cylinder?
Learn About Your Car Problems
Search For a Specific Car Problem
Viewing 1-20 of 46 comments
My CD player (6 disc) just stopped working. The CDs will not come out at all. The radio is functional but the CD player failed shortly after I purchased the vehicle (used) in 2012 with 66,000 miles.
My CD's are stuck in the player I have tried everything to get them out with no luck I have read all the things that people have tried to do to get them out and I still have had no luck. I am hoping there is a recall on the cd player because this shouldn't happen to so many people with the XC90 I have the 2004 which I purchased used and the cd player worked for over 2 years before this happened. I am hoping I will read somewhere that Volvo will replace the unit free, I keep trying????
Radio comes on for about 5 minutes and goe out..I park my car and come back in 30-45 minutes the radio come on,but goes out in about 5 minutes...
On my XC90 with a 6-bay CD changer, the CDs suddenly began to jamb. Over the next few months / miles, the CD player quit working altogether, though the radio worked fine. A Volvo tech I spoke with stated that this is a common problem with this model car, and recommended a particular shop in town make a specialized repair, rather than replace the unit (the latter option would have cost $1400US). I followed his advice, and had the CD player repaired at Kurtz Car Stereo in Traverse City, MI for $298. The problem they found was with the elevator and carrier system within the CD player itself, in addition to having a faulty power supply. The original parts were rather frail and prone to failure, so the "fix" is one they have used very successfully on dozens of XC90s, at a fraction of the cost of replacing the whole unit. A word of caution: before trying to buy a used CD player on-line thinking it will solve the problem, please be aware that your car's alarm system may not recognize a "new" replacement radio / CD player and promptly disable the vehicle's electrical system so you won't be able to start your car. Might be better, faster, cheaper, and much more effective to have your system's player repaired in-place. I have had no issues with my repair, and have enjoyed flawless performance from this fix.
My Premium Audio system is not responding to keystrokes on the controls.
It only loads disc into Tray 2, doesn't eject when you push the button. doesn't switch from Radio to CD mode unless at random, volume controls are unresponsive at best (both for the dash and steering controls.

Do I have to change the unit to maintain an unbroken experience of the best sound experience available which is currently experienced at irregular intervals when the 2004 XC90 decides to intermittently blast premium sound out of its speakers.

The volume control response is important as the high decibel constitutes a nuisance to my upscale neighbours. Let me quickly add that I'm using this SUV in Nigeria and any solution proferred should take consideration of the distance.
6 CD player stopped working, also cannot get the surround sound to work or the dolby3, only the bass treble, and balance, I guess they dont make em like they used to. Really irks me cause it cost alot to replace, I hope this software update works...
Six disc player will not eject my discs (I was able to finally get one out). It will occasionally play one CD that is stuck in there but it says it is in slot 5.... then 2.... then 6 but plays the same song. Mostly get the Disc Unreadable error or the Deck error.
CD player has taken in 6 CDs and won't play or eject any of them. Radio station selected is lost when car is shut off.
When the car is restarted the radio defaults to 105.3.
Not fixed yet.
The radio did not shut off when we turned the car off. Had to remove the fuse to get it to turn off. placed fuse back in and now the Prologic screen will light for a second or two when you push the power button. Or occasionally, as you are driving, the CD player will power up and start playing, you can not control volume or remove CDs it just plays... then all of a sudden, it will switch to radio and you can control volume and change stations.... then when you turn the car off... it is dead until next time. Very sad that Volvo dumped such a complicated and unreliable system onto the public without providing technical support and being responsible for cost.