Audio System Problems May Be Due to Software Issues on Volvo XC90

Problems with the audio system have been reported. There are software upgrades available that will address certain issues. Problems unrelated to software issues will require standard repair procedures.

RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 109,927 (25,000–204,784)
6 model years affected: 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, more2008, 2009
57 people reported this problem
The nation’s largest network of independent repair shops certified for expert training, quality work and fair pricing
Viewing
of
problem details
2005 Volvo XC90 148,252 mi,
Shuts off on its own; on-off button has no effect
2004 Volvo XC90 155,000 mi,
Radio stopped working altogether
2003 Volvo XC90 81,600 mi,
My CD player (6 disc) just stopped working. The CDs will not come out at all. The radio is functional but the CD player failed shortly after I purchased the vehicle (used) in 2012 with 66,000 miles.
2004 Volvo XC90 99,400 mi,
My CD's are stuck in the player I have tried everything to get them out with no luck I have read all the things that people have tried to do to get them out and I still have had no luck. I am hoping there is a recall on the cd player because this shouldn't happen to so many people with the XC90 I have the 2004 which I purchased used and the cd player worked for over 2 years before this happened. I am hoping I will read somewhere that Volvo will replace the unit free, I keep trying????
2008 Volvo XC90 112,588 mi,
radio won't stay on beyond the start screen
Radio volume goes load and moves to back speaker. We can't control the volume with the control knob.
Radio comes on for about 5 minutes and goe out..I park my car and come back in 30-45 minutes the radio come on,but goes out in about 5 minutes...
the cd player stopped working and im unable to retrieve any cd's either. can only listen to the radio.
On my XC90 with a 6-bay CD changer, the CDs suddenly began to jamb. Over the next few months / miles, the CD player quit working altogether, though the radio worked fine. A Volvo tech I spoke with stated that this is a common problem with this model car, and recommended a particular shop in town make a specialized repair, rather than replace the unit (the latter option would have cost $1400US). I followed his advice, and had the CD player repaired at Kurtz Car Stereo in Traverse City, MI for $298. The problem they found was with the elevator and carrier system within the CD player itself, in addition to having a faulty power supply. The original parts were rather frail and prone to failure, so the "fix" is one they have used very successfully on dozens of XC90s, at a fraction of the cost of replacing the whole unit. A word of caution: before trying to buy a used CD player on-line thinking it will solve the problem, please be aware that your car's alarm system may not recognize a "new" replacement radio / CD player and promptly disable the vehicle's electrical system so you won't be able to start your car. Might be better, faster, cheaper, and much more effective to have your system's player repaired in-place. I have had no issues with my repair, and have enjoyed flawless performance from this fix.
2005 Volvo XC90 94,000 mi,
Radio/stereo/backup assist shut off and on intermittently.
2004 Volvo XC90 100,000 mi,
Radio and CD player work intermittently. It is as they are possessed.
2004 Volvo XC90 145,000 mi,
Premium sound system works intermittently. Most often not at all. Have found no oddity remedies.
CD player has taken in 6 CDs and won't play or eject any of them. Radio station selected is lost when car is shut off. When the car is restarted the radio defaults to 105.3. Not fixed yet.
2004 Volvo XC90 64,000 mi,
6 CD player stopped working, also cannot get the surround sound to work or the dolby3, only the bass treble, and balance, I guess they dont make em like they used to. Really irks me cause it cost alot to replace, I hope this software update works...
2004 Volvo XC90 75,000 mi,
Six disc player will not eject my discs (I was able to finally get one out). It will occasionally play one CD that is stuck in there but it says it is in slot 5.... then 2.... then 6 but plays the same song. Mostly get the Disc Unreadable error or the Deck error.
My Premium Audio system is not responding to keystrokes on the controls. It only loads disc into Tray 2, doesn't eject when you push the button. doesn't switch from Radio to CD mode unless at random, volume controls are unresponsive at best (both for the dash and steering controls. Do I have to change the unit to maintain an unbroken experience of the best sound experience available which is currently experienced at irregular intervals when the 2004 XC90 decides to intermittently blast premium sound out of its speakers. The volume control response is important as the high decibel constitutes a nuisance to my upscale neighbours. Let me quickly add that I'm using this SUV in Nigeria and any solution proferred should take consideration of the distance.
2004 Volvo XC90 149,000 mi,
Channel loss
2003 Volvo XC90 95,000 mi,
CD player (single CD) is inop.
2005 Volvo XC90 150,000 mi,
Radio not working at all
2005 Volvo XC90 120,000 mi,