Car Problem Reports

Dodge Ram 1500 Rerouting Ignition Coil/Spark Plug Wires Can Solve Misfire/Surge Problems

Dodge Ram 1500 Problem
21 Reports
Me Too

Model Years Affected: 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004

Exhaust & Emissions Affected: 5.9L V8

Average Mileage: 182,883 mi (117,986 mi - 330,000 mi)

Verified

On the 3.9L V6 and 5.2L V8, rerouting the ignition coil wire and spark plug wires can help solve a misfire and/or surge problem that occurs at approximately 45 mph. A service bulletin was published that outlines the specifics of the repair. It states the rerouting procedure should be performed before other repairs are done for misfires, surging or spark knock.

• , , 173,000 mi

My truck has a loss of power and falls down to about 1300 rpm while I am going at cruise speed(not using cruise) and has a serious lack of power and doesn't respond to the throttle like it should.

• , , 230,000 mi

Truck will shudder or hesitate at any speed.

• , , 117,986 mi

I own a 97 conversion van B1500, 3.9L, this van I own it since 1998, and it always, always had misfire on bank, Surged at 55mph, loss power at low speed, non responsive at times, shift between gears bucken and surging, I has replace the motor after over 2000.00 ran good until warranty ended since then I've replaced TPS, CPS,Cam sensor, Both 02 (up and down streams), coil, wires , plugs, injection #3 and #5, Transmission pressure, transductor,fuel pump and sending unit, Kat, both banks intake gaskets, ECM and all fuses relation to duty run, I had it with this van in 2002 so I installed a Jasper long block, 3.9L, and a rebuilt Transmission with a new matching ECM. Ran good until last spring and am having the same troubles PO300, PO301,PO303,PO305,PO132,PO204 and PO0205, as I sat looking at the engine looking at the code reader comparing in the manual I start have flash backs of the trouble this dodge been, don't know why I wish to fix this thing it is a nightmare and a money trap, think I park it and drive the silverado

• Yes my truck 2000 5.2 liter dodge 1500 will crank but when you turn off and try crank again it takes 3 hours before it cranks again

• , , 128,000 mi

miss firing in high gear and when your going uphill

• , , 164,200 mi

Same problem as far as the surge goes.

•  Rookie

surge problems losing power bad