PCM/TCM Software Updates May Address Shifting Problems on Dodge Charger

Problem Description and Possible Solution

If you experience rough shift and/or shuddering during gear shifting, software updates to the powertrain control and transmission control modules (PCM and TCM) are available which may address these problems. On higher mileage vehicles, a mechanical failure may exhibit similar symptoms. Proper diagnoses should be performed before any repairs or software upgrades are attempted.

Problem Data
RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 82,725 (4,000–190,000)
Drive Trains affected: 2WD, AWD, RWD
7 model years affected: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, more2010, 2011, 2013
75 people reported this problem
Viewing 1 - 20 of 41 problem details
Sometimes, not every time my car will shudder when starting out from 1st to 2nd. If I slow down for a stop sign or light and I don't come to a complete stop and then take off it slips or skips then catches and takes off. This is all at very slow speeds by the way, no abuse of components.
At least once a week while driving my 2006 dodge charger lose's power. I can only go 25 to 40 mile's. It will also roll back when in drive like it's not in gear.
The car will change into 1and2gear but when it suppos to change in 3rd gesr the car don't want to change into 3rd gear
ECM/PCM Replaced, problem still the same, engine shuts off when idling, transmission doesn't go into gear, Dealer can't seem to locate the problem, afraid to have an accident. taking it back to the dealer.
My 08 charger does the same, I can be going 70 and all of the sudden my speed start dropping down to like 20 or 30 mph..still need help on this problem
I noticed that once in a while the ignition seemed "stuck" but it would happen once every few months. Then a couple of months ago it started shaking when in park or at a red light. Now, its shuddering when im trying to gain speed between 30 to 40 or on the highway. I bought it used with 34000 miles from a reputable dealership in January of 2011, I wonder if they sold me a lemon.
Had the TCM/PCM software update a month ago due to check engine light on and it just happened again 1/10/11. I was accelerating at low speed and it shuddered from 1st to 2nd and I got instant RPM drop/power loss until low RPM, then back to normal acceleration. Car drives ok but I'm taking back to the dealer for service.
It seems the shudder would happen at slow speeds, 10-15 mph when rolling thru my subdivision. It almost feels like the MDS is kicking on, and the tranny is at too high a gear (3rd, when it should be in 2), and the engine struggles to get up the small incline in my neighborhood, before it will downshift. My PCM just got flashed at the dealership a couple days ago and I believe it may have fixed the issue. I am going to pay attention to it now to confirm.
transmission will not go into any gear forward or reverse
Intermittent hard shifting from 1st to 2nd, or exactly at 10 mph, very similar to report #3. Mechanic reset error message in computer but it is happening again.
shudderring feel when shifting from first to second gear
I have a brand new 2015 Charger SXT Rallye 6 cyl. When accelerating from an incomplete stop, about 5 mph it lags when downshifting from 2st to second. I have had the software flashed, the valve body replaced then a brand new transmission. AND the problem is back again after 3 months. Currently at the dealer again. Apparently this is a very long term problem with Chargers. I'm wondering if this is just the V6 or the V8 also. Looking to get my money back using the lemon law. Very frustrated in my brand new car.
When getting on the express way my 2006 dodge charger v8 hemi stalls in 40 and the rpm go up to 4000 and i push the gas and in sputters feels like a jerking feeling then it goes back to like nothing was even wrong at the same time my headlights shut off when driving.
Torque converter clutch shudder at cruise and during downshift. Started after engine removal rebuild reinstall. 15,000 miles driven on rebuild is fine. Doesn't shudder when in manual tcm downshift.
Needs a new ecm computer
My Charger is an AWD 5.7. It shudders and clunks when it down shifts. Took it to dealer and they said they could not find the problem. I am going to go to another dealer.
about one week ago i started to feel a jump in the tranny at slow speeds. now everytime i take off from a stop sign or light i am physically being thrusted forward as the car shifts from 1st to 2nd gear. the car decides what it wants to do on its own, no driver input needed. sometimes it starts accelerating rapidly and other times it acts as if my foot isn't even on the accelerator. i have noticed if i put the accelerator to floor while taking off it helps...sometimes.
rough shifting 1st to 2nd gear. jerky feeling
I got my transmission service last week and the check engine light is reading the same transmission codes I had serviced. Transmission control malfunction lost connection with ECM/PCM & a connector issue & a 3 gear issue. car did fine the first two days now it's back to driving slow some time the engine shuts off after I start it up when backing it up it may shut off or wating @ a red light