Mercedes-Benz E350 Problems

Rough Shifting of Automatic Transmission on Mercedes-Benz E350

Problem Description and Possible Solution

Vehicles equipped with a 7-speed automatic transmission may develop a rough shifting condition, most commonly going up from first to second gear and going down from third to second or second to first gear. Our technicians tell us this is due to an internal component failure. Mercedes has released updated parts; the transmission will need to be removed and disassembled to complete the necessary repairs.

(223 people reported this problem)

Mercedes-Benz E350 Vehicles With This Problem

RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 70,287 (3,000–222,000)
10 model years affected: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, more2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Not Your Mercedes-Benz E350 Problem?
Brake problem? Or maybe a faulty head gasket cylinder?
Learn About Your Car Problems
Search For a Specific Car Problem
Viewing 21-40 of 125 comments
Trans. does not up shift from first to second and third to forth smoothly. Also,rough down shifting from forth to third, third to second too. Car has been in to Mercedes for this problem 4 times and problem continues to occur. Service Teck tells me all E350s with 7 speed auto.trans. do it. also, car does not respond immediately when gas is pressed when coming out of a turn. Transmission also seems to hunt for the proper gears at times. Obviously I am not happy with this problem.
I do not have an explanation to why is my E350 donw shift from 4 to 3 with a kick in the back....What sould I do, ignore it or have it fixed and at what rate HELP!!!!!
Brand new 2013 E300 4mtaic. Hard shifting running either up gear or down gear. Transmission also seems lost at times unsure at what gear it should be in.
Most noticeable when slowing down then having to quickly speed up. Transmission seems to make a very harsh downshift into 2nd. Noticeable mostly in E mode vs S mode.
Just bought this auto used.30,000 miles. Transmission on 3 occasions has been stuck in 2nd gear. Had to limp home or to area to stop and cut car off and then restart and problem corrected itself. Once dropped from 3rd to second with a clunk..no warnings ever. There needs to be a recall petition on these transmissions!I love my car with exception of this problem. How many have spent thousands on repairs? Interested to know. If MB issued a repair part and is aware..why does customer have to pay to have transmission pulled? I have owned 6 MB, this may be my last if dealer won't take czre of it.
I'M SCREWED... JUST BOUGHT CAR... EXPERIENCING TRANSMISSION ISSUE AS DESCRIBED - I JUST KEEP CLEARING THE CODE, DON'T HAVE $$$ TO WASTE REBUILDING THE TRANS AT THE MOMENT. FML
Transmission shifts rough from 1to2and3. When driving very slow and trans changes from3to2 and 2to1 it down shifts very hard. You can feel it inside the car.
mine is a 2004 (the pulldown menu doesn't have options older than 2006) E500. This problem is something that Mercedes Benz knew about shortly after they put out the 7 speed transmissions. It's a faulty sensor and requires a new valve plate. The transmission does NOT need to be pulled in order to fix. Don't let anyone tell you any different. However, it is a part that must be synced with your transmissions serial number and can only be done by a dealer.

The problem is temporarily remedied by turning the car off and back on which resets the sensor. Left alone, this problem WILL leave you stranded on the side of the road. Mine was just towed to the dealer for repair. The estimate is $2177.00.

This bad sensor should have been a recalled item but it wasn't.
Not fixed to-date. Now at 10,000 miles. Slams between 1st & 2nd (up & down). At times 3rd to 4th as well. Not constantly. Have it back in to the dealer five or six times, number seven scheduled. They say software but never believed that.
from second to first gear a shock and up hill a strong bump or shock.had to replace the sensor of first gear plus disc of first gear and hooks had to open transmission. high dollars $2,600.00 us
I read the problems many people have with transmissions and I can relate to it. My Mercedes Transmission had being repaired twice. The first time, they couldn't find the problem. When the car completely failed in first gear, I had to towed it to Mercedes Benz Service. They want 8,000 to change the transmission but, we made a deal to repair the internal components including the board. That is the failing part. The car worked well for 10 months then started it again. For the second time. on the 13th month the car transmission stop working again. the same problem, sticks on first gear. Services charged me 3,000 to do the same, replace the internal components and told me there where no guarantee, to get a new car instead. So I am waiting for this year to pass, car drives very well in comfort. I don't use Sport cause it cause the transmission rough shifting sometimes. They know, I repeat, they know there is a problem with the 7 speed transmission, is faulty. I will change my transmission for a newer one at the end of this year.
Dealer says needs to be replaced at cost of $350.00. Not covered under warrenty according to dealer
This issue has been going on for a while now. I've took it to the dealership several times with no resolution. They stated the vehicle needs a new transmission shifter module and esitmated the cost to be around $1300. From all of the responses on this same issue it looks like this should be a recall that MB should take care of themselves.
rough shifting-- high rpms dragging into lower gears and dropping from 3rd to 4th --- dealer said they '''updated'' the computer system=-- picked up yesterday --- still happening
Rough downshifting. Was alerted by friend that he had same problem and dealer verified the problem that will be fixed under warranty. Love the Bluetec engine.
I was driving home with heavy traffic on freeway,
I had hard shifting from 2nd to 3rd and check engine light was on so I took the dealer and they found code u0101 (miscommunication ?) and Technician said that It needs to be replaced TCM unit and re-programmed so I did that...
Still the same... AND Technician said I got a drive few hundred miles to break in?
for learning process....???
I was having problems with ongoing "rough shifting transmission" for at least a year. Car was diagnosed several times at MB dealership within the last year without any mention of a transmission problem. My car was diagnosed two weeks ago again for "rough shifting"; so now I was told by MB that II the transmission is totally gone. Repair options at this point is a $6500 re manufactured transmission or a $10,000 rebuilt transmission with all MB parts. Currently weighing all my options for the best case scenario.