High Mileage Automatic Transmissions May Have Shifting Problems on Volkswagen Jetta TDI

Problem Description and Possible Solution

Shifting issues due to internal problems in high mileage automatic transmissions can be difficult to resolve without transmission replacement.

Problem Data
RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 148,691 (68,000–274,000)
14 model years affected: 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, more2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010, 2012
80 people reported this problem
Viewing 1 - 20 of 43 comments
My dads Jetta just started giving him tranny problems. Its a TDI and has automatic tranny. It was driving fine the night before and today he asked me to check it out. It shifts out ok until overdrive. It stays in third gear and sticks. It is the first problem he's had out of it at over 270,000 miles! Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Automatic transmission lurching when shifting from 2nd to 3rd.
Woke up this morning, and the TDI won't shift into gear. No warning signs at all. Drove fine last night.
My jetta TDi is an automatic and i love it but everytime i put it in gear it grinds and then when im driving sometimes when the gears shift the car will jerk forward. any advice?
At fist car did not want to shift from 2-3 or 3-4 getting on highway. Then other morning it would not even shift out of 1st. Was reading online how ma y people have this issue and it says to let car "warm up" so yesterday I allowed car to "warm up" for 5 min (it is end of June) the no issue. However this morning I got in car started (did not allow to idle) and BOOM didnt want to shift out of 1st again!!
Today was a rainy day. Car began to take off in second gear, although I can manually downshift and start in first. Will not shift unless it take my foot off the pedal momentarily over 42mph, after which it will shift
into third gear, but will downshift back to second if I slow down below 40. Haven't tried to coax it into high gear on the freeway. Also, if I shift into neutral, I used to be able to shift back into gear, but now have to touch the brake. Had codes read, they were 722 Vehicle speed sensor, and 730 Incorrect gear ratio.
Took my 2001 VW Jetta,TDI, 1.9 liter, to the dealer to fix the problem of the car holding back when I accelerated from a stop. When it finally engaged, the car then lurched forward. Cars behind me had to brake because my torque? diminished and then suddently took off.

I took it in several times, and each time, they said they could not replicate the problem (this was before the 100,000 warranty ran out and I wonder if they even drove it). The situation worsened and I should have been on their doorstep each week until it was fixed; when I came to a stop (this was after 100,000 miles), the car would roll backwards if I took my foot off the break. Also, in my driveway, the car would roll back (drive is on an incline) as soon as I took my foot off the break. I took it back after the problem got so bad that I was afraid to accelerate in the snow because of the car rolling backwards and my having to aggressively accelerate in the snow.

The dealer first thought it could be a valve body; turns out that didn't resolve the problem. So, they installed a remanufactured transmission. I will be returning to the dealership because whenever I try to accelerate, the car is an extreme dog, especially at cold start-up. People behind me get extremely irritated because the car barely moves forward. I have had the car back from the dealership for only one week. I will be sitting on their doorstep until I can reasonably drive it after an almost $4,000 bill. The current mileage is 124,200. I have to report that they have tried diligently to remedy this (after the warranty); however, I have a sneaky suspicion that they knew what the problem was when I explained it before the warranty expired when they said they test drove it--and just plainly didn't want to take care of it. So, I was stuck with the bill. Will try to contact VW Headquarters to see if they can partially defray the bill.
High rpm and doesn't shift correctly between 45-60 when accelerating to merge onto freeway. I read and I'm hoping fuel filter change can fix it. Not sure I will let you know. I had most of the problems people are speaking of on here after having intake manifold cleaned it fixed most of the problem. It was so caked there was barely whole the size of a pencil
when accelerating from a stop the car needs time to get into gear before moving forward. If we try to accelerate before you feel it in gear the engine will race and go nowhere.
When I shift into reverse or drive in the morning or the start of starting my TDI, it fails to move and jerks a little and I usually have to shift my gear all the way down then up to drive for it to properly be in drive...this problem started recently and my car runs fine once it starts working in the right gear. what could be the problem?
I am having a similar issue. Car was driving just fine, got off the freeway to pick up friend from airport and came to a stop. Once I accelerated, the car almost tac'd-out before shifting from 2nd to 3rd. This has been repeating until car was shut off for about 30mins. Issue occurred again the following day.
while driving I stopped on the side of the road to look at map. I placed the shifter to park. Then the trans started to rock back and forth then the trans lights on the dash started flashing. I could put the shifter to drive and it was stuck in first gear. So I shut off the car and looked around the trans and saw no leakage so. I started up the car and trans went back to normal. But now al I can do is go in reverse to get out of the garage then put it in drive and it runs fine. But when I need to shift back to reverse it starts surging again and that's when the lights start flashing. But every time I shut off the car it goes back to normal.
Jumps when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Sounds and feels like i ran over a pot hole when it happens.
slipping in between gears or hard shifting.
shifting problems and trouble codes po 768 763 773 785 748 758 753
Sporadically fails shift into reverse after sitting idle for period of time. Bad condition for parallel parking.
able to put the car in "drive" it goes shifts to next gear ....has hard time going into the next gear and it doesn't get in "drive"
I have the problem being discussed here. I took it in and because it was just over the 5 year, even though it's still under 100,000 miles they would not warranty the transmission. I called headquarters, they wouldn't give a discount for the fix either. This is a known problem by VW.
They know they put inferior transmissions in their vehicles and refuse accountability for that decision. I hesitate to have the transmission replaced because if the same type goes back in it I am no better off and it will fail prematurely again. That's a lot of money to spend.
Rough shifts, won't reverse sometimes
Iurches forward between 2 and 3 gear