Volkswagen
Jetta
570

High Mileage Automatic Transmissions May Have Shifting Problems on Volkswagen Jetta

Problem Description and Possible Solution

Shifting issues due to internal problems in high mileage automatic transmissions can be difficult to resolve without transmission replacement.

Problem Data
RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 128,303 (10,000–274,000)
23 model years affected: 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, more1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
570 people reported this problem
Comments
Viewing 1 - 20 of 281 comments
the car jerks when shifting between 2nd and 3rd shifts - doesn't transition between 2nd and 3rd shifts smoothly
Originally started at highway speeds above 60 mph after car was running about 45 minutes. Engine would race and transmission would down shift to 2nd and lock there until car brought to a halt. Often the car would be turned off for a few minutes, then would reset. The car would then shift properly at local town driving speeds. Now the transmission appears to slip in third or when car is moving around 35-50 miles an hour on the local roads. NO PROBLEM with slipping on take off and the shifting generally shifts normally. If you back OFF with the gas it generally reconnects and the apparent "slip" catches and tork is resumed. When I originally had the problem I immediately dropped the pan, and changed the fluid and screen. THERE WAS NO BURNING SMELL WITH THE OLD FLUID, and the pan and magnet was VERY clean too! It is NOT currently throwing a transmission code. I wonder IF this is a tork converter problem, a sticking solenoid, or maybe even a throttle body problem. I realize the milage is high but the fluid has been changed regularly and it is never beat on. ANY SUGGESTIONS???
Slips between 3rd and 4th gear. Will rpm high then jerk into gear. But other times it goes normal. Maybe something other than transmission--maybe sensor???
Automatic TDI
First few minutes driving after sitting for several hours/overnight, the car has trouble shifting in low gears: 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd and sometimes when has shifted up, will slam back down to high rpm in too low gear.

Once it's worked out the kinks, it shifts smoothly with no problems. It does seem to take a really long time for the temp gage to warm up past dead cold mark, and once it's warm it has no problem.

When won't shift, will rev WAY up before finally shifting up. Sometimes I'll creep along at 10-15 miles an hour till it shifts. Sometimes I'll try driving with RPMs up around 4000 or 4500 till it slams up to next gear. I'm afraid I need a new transmission but am going to try just replacing thermostat first.

Do people respond to my post or is this just a place to post problems but no one actually gives feedback? I can't figure out how to respond to other posts or see what feedback people with my same problem are having.
had car serviced, code cleared went away, car shifted fine, after 25 miles when check engine light went back on, the car lost overdrive again, any ideas? if tranny needs to be replaced what should job cost
Car jerks when shifting from first to second gear. I'm told I need a new transmission, but of course the warranty expired!
I have an automatic jetta and car remains in neutral when shifting from park to drive. If I press the gas, car will go forward, otherwise it doesn't move (or slides on a hill)
Getting harder and harder to shift from P to R or D, and takes times actually shifting while already IN D position for about 3-6 seconds!
I have a 2006 2.5 automatic transmission jetta. At about 110,000 miles it began to jerk when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear and 2nd to 3rd gear. At 120,000 it would not shift out of 2nd gear after about 20 continuous minutes of driving. I have been told that the cost to fix it is greater than the value of the car at this point and to get rid of it ASAP.
Car began shifting into gear at 4100 rpm. So at around 30 mph but will downshift at a normal time just a little rougher then before no solution yet help.
Transmission won't go into reverse. Took it to the dealer and they said it was toast. $5600 for new and $3400 for rebuilt with no warranty. I took it to a very reliable transmission shop 4 WEEKS ago. The quoted me $2434 including tax to repair. After 3 weeks of them telling me that they fixed it, drove it and and then it started throwing codes and wouldn't go into reverse again. They say they have replaced everything and last week said it had a bad ATM unit on computer. $657 from the dealer + $120 labor. They took it to the dealer who ran a diagnostic and said the car was fine. He did a refresh of the computer for $90. STILL NO REVERSE! I've paid the shop over $1900 so far and have had no car for a month and they have no clue. Any Advise that I can pass onto them or for me would be much appreciated. By the way, I purchased the car 4 weeks and 1 day ago. It drove fine until I had it for just over an hour! Buyer Beware!!!
PLEASE HELP ME. So I have a 2003 Jetta 1.8t, just hit 120,000.. About a year ago, the shifting was getting funky for example, when I would go to accelerate on the gas, the rpm meter would shoot up but the car itself would not actually accelerate. Unfortunately, I don't know any VW mechanics or specialists, so I took it to a few different body shops, each one telling me I needed a new transmission. After all the hassle and it sitting in my driveway for 8 months, I finally caved and then took it to a VW dealership in September 2014 with roughly 115,000 miles on it, and they said it was NOT the transmission but some sort of censor for it, and because I love the car so much, I had it replaced for $1,500, with a 12,000 mile/1 year warrantee. I've had the car back since October and everything was perfectly fine up until last week when it started doing the same exact thing with the acceleration issue and then the check engine light came on, which freaked me out. I took it back to the same dealership and they told me I needed a new transmission completely..asking a ridiculous $5,000 but I did not fix it, it's outrageous. Had to tow it there and home and today I took it for a spin AND IT WAS FINE!! No check engine light either. I'm not fully understanding the issue at large.. my neighbor/mechanic thinks its a computer issue or some sort of external issue... I know nothing about cars in general so I don't know what to think. I'm afraid of driving it because I don't want to get stuck and towed again... Can someone PLEASE try to help me out here??? I have not changed the transmission fluid since I got the car so I think that needs to be done but will that fix the "problem" I've been having? I just don't understand how something was replaced and was working great, if not better, and all the a sudden, this happens. I would like to salvage the car because part of me does not believe it will be a $5,000 job, that is just ridiculous. I don't even know if I fully believe I need the whole transmission replaced.. I'm racking my brain around this and trying everything I can to get some legit answers and insight and I wish I had a VW specialist to summon. I am lost and confused, can someone please try to help me out here?? It would be MUCH appreciated!!
My car shifts hard after it warms up...but it doesnt do it all the time. I just bought it from a used car place. Do i need a new transmission?
My 99 Jetta Started shifting at Higher RPMs (4000+) for all 3 gears. Need a mechanic to look at it. I have no idea why it just started. I had the transmission fluid changed last year.
Same problem...has problem wth R and D jerks while transitioning from gear to gear......I've had my jetta for 5 months now and It has been trouble since the first week.....