Convertible Top May Have Problems With Micro-Switches/Potentiometers on Volvo C70

The convertible top may have problems with the micro-switches and potentiometers that help control the raising and lowering of the top.

RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 96,240 (14,500–200,000)
10 model years affected: 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, more2002, 2003, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010
82 people reported this problem
Get Your Car Fixed at a RepairPal Certified Shop.
We certify shops based on expertise, quality work, and verified customer reviews
Viewing 1 - 20 of 51 problem details
Convertible top started to go back and then stopped 6 inches from the widnscreen. Manually cranked it back to close and now won't work and the system keeps dinging all the time. Can anyone offer a suggestion?
The problem I've run into was mentioned in passing in this feed, but I'm not sure about what to do next. The roof on my girlfriends car is closed all the way, but the sensor doesn't seem to realize that and the ding ding ding is driving us up a wall. I tried to find the fuse for that particular sensor and pull it but had no such luck. I tried to find the push button on the roof to try and jam it closed to stop the alarm but had no such luck there either. Is there anything we can do to get that thing to quiet down? It seems like a form of Chinese drip torture!
2000 Volvo C70 106,400 mi,
we just bought a 2000 volvo c70 ,,,,the convertible top goes all the way down but not completely so the hard part is straight up and stuck....then if you push the button for the top to go forward it only makes it too the front with about four inches to go but doesnt make it ,,it stops......bummed out...
the roof storage area on my c70 will not open manually by cranking with the tools supplied and will not open with the switch so how do you get into it
2010 Volvo C70 95,000 mi,
Convertible top will not respond to the button for opening it up. Still not fixed.
2001 Volvo C70 124,000 mi,
top locked in closed position but convertible light and chime alarm goes off incessantly when driving the car. dealership does not offer any definite options to diagnose and fix the problem.
2000 Volvo C70 121,000 mi,
top wont go down
2007 Volvo C70 78,000 mi,
My hardtop will go down but the car does not recognize that its down, and the warning sign say top is not fully down.
2002 Volvo C70 82,700 mi,
I also had this problem with the top stuck between up and down. Had to manually lower the top into storage area. During the manual closing, I noticed two small broken switches on either side that appeared to have broken off the lift arms. Took vehicle back to dealership, they mentioned nothing about micro-switches or potentiometers but rather told me that I would have to purchase both a left and right "tappet" that allegedly are broken, at a cost of almost $3,000. Then they would be able to determine what else would be required to "fix." I paid them to raise the top, lock it in place and disconnect the switch and chime so that no one would lower the top again.
2000 Volvo C70 85,000 mi,
top stops short about 4 inches from completed closure.
2000 Volvo C70 110,000 mi,
Micro Switch on Drivers side was broken causing a problem with the first phase of the top opening properly.
I had one of the two potentiametes replaced and have had problems with it ever since ie: wont complete its cycle when putting back up so the light and ding sound is on. Also after the volvo dealer so called fixed the potentiameter the top doesnt work up and down complete and wont fix it for me after I spent almost $1,000!!
1998 Volvo C70 14,500 mi,
this vovo is the worst car i have ever owned do yourself a favour never buy one
2001 Volvo C70 110,000 mi,
2 things Convertible top went down won't come back up. Change battery in car radio won't come on reading code when code is entered it still doesn't work.
2000 Volvo C70 74,000 mi,
top wont close all the way.
2002 Volvo C70 74,000 mi,
I had to replace the top and once I replaced the top I had issues with it closing properly into the trunk. One of many problems with this beautiful looking car. Will never buy another one!
1999 Volvo C70 98,000 mi,
Top gets stuck half way up
2004 Volvo C70 115,000 mi,
Switch to raise and lower roof is not working properly, and doesn't work at all after I had to manually close the roof. Now the alarm won't shut off when I drive the car, indicating the roof is still open.
2004 Volvo C70 120,000 mi,
starts to lower and stops
1998 Volvo C70 90,000 mi,
just got this car and the top does not go down and the buzzer is constantly buzzing!