Auto Systems and Repair: Catalytic Converter
Symptoms of Wear or Failure
- Check Engine Light may illuminate
- Vehicle may fail emissions inspection
- Exhaust gas may have unusual smell
- Vehicle may lack power
Related Repair Advice
- Catalytic converters are vehicle-specific parts. We recommend using a high quality new part, which is required by emissions control programs in many states.
- It is very important to have the shop identify why the catalytic converter failed. Failure is almost always due to another problem, which if not resolved, will quickly ruin a new catalytic converter.