A catalytic converter converts the harmful exhaust gases produced by the engine into less harmful emissions before they leave the vehicle’s exhaust system.
Symptoms of Catalytic Converter Problems, Wear or Failure
- Check Engine Light may illuminate
- Vehicle may fail emissions inspection
- Exhaust gas may have unusual smell
- Vehicle may lack power
Test a Catalytic Converter
Testing a catalytic converter is performed by a professional technician. Testing is used to figure out why a catalytic converter has failed. For a lack of power concern, a back pressure test should be performed to check for a plugged converter.
Related Repair Advice
- Catalytic converters are vehicle-specific parts. We recommend using a high-quality new part, which is required by emissions control programs in many states.
- It is very important to have the shop identify why the catalytic converter failed. Failure is almost always due to another problem, which if not resolved, will quickly ruin a new catalytic converter.