Chrysler
Sebring
214

Automatic Transmission May Have Shifting Problems on Chrysler Sebring

Problem Description and Possible Solution

The automatic transmission can develop problems like erratic shifting, rough shifting, or delayed gear engagement. Repairs for many of these problems are outlined in service bulletins.

Problem Data
RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 119,428 (16,000–216,000)
16 model years affected: 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, more1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010
214 people reported this problem
Comments
Viewing 1 - 20 of 85 comments
when car is cold slow to go into gear, have to rev engine and then jerks into gear. Made a whinning sound as well, flushed trans and replaced filter and fluid. This seemed to fix the sound but still slow to shift into gear when cold.
Right now my 2006 Sebring is stuck in my driveway. I cannot get the gear shift out of Park. The car starts with no problem, I put my foot on the brake to move the shift, but it doesn't move!!!!!
the car jumps after coming to a stop. the car will not shift sometimes until
i turn the engine off and restart the car
My Daughters 2004 Sebring won't engage in any gear when it starts getting cold roughly 38°. it will eventually go into gear if you sit with it in reverse or D long enough. We had the transmission fluid changed & a complete flush to no avail. We haven't had it repaired as of right now.
Car runs fine but when getting up to speed past first and second gear either 3rd or fourth gear slips and the car revs up and won't shift anynomre.
around 34,000 it started jumping at stop lights and stalling. now at 65,000, the check engine light will intermittently come on and the car will not shift any higher than third or forth.
Never shifts the same some times it has a delay when coming to a stop sign and will have a harsh shift starting again
found my gear shifting to be a linkage issue covered under a 2000 recall from Chrysler. Problem solved, no charge
Paid for rebuilt transmission and it still "downshifts" from D to 2nd gear, sometimes will not go forward but will drive in reverse. Too many miles I guess.
Transmission started acting up with first cold spell this year... when engine is still cold, the tranny is slow to engage when shifting into drive, and slips out of gear when coming to hard/fast stop on highway...

Haven't taken it in as of this posting....
I'm parked in my driveway that's at an incline now I can't put the car In Any gear everything is running good