Reviews for Mazda Miata MX-5 years:

Mazda Miata MX-5 Reviews and Owner Comments

Mazda Miata MX-5Owner Reviews (33 reviews)
    Visitor, Dayton, OH, February 12, 2013 10:02
    My 1999 Miata has been my only vehicle for 12 years and I have to say it has been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. When I bought it in 2001, it had just under 16k miles on it. It now has just under 90K miles on it. Other than regular maintenance, it has not had any major problems until now. The water pump is about to go out and that can a major expense due what it entails to get to it and other parts you may as well replace while you're at it. But hey, my parts aren't as young as they used to be either. The only real complaint I have about owning this car is that it drives horribly in the snow. Having said that, I highly recommend this vehicle. Its definitely gets attention!
  • 2010 Mazda Miata MX-5
    Visitor, Pittsburgh, PA, January 11, 2013 10:33
    My 2010 Mazda Mazda has been going dead again and again. The dealer initially found a short in the computer codes but needed to have me run it with the trunk light off to isolate the problem. When I brought it back they denied a problem and have not fixed it despite multiple visits and calls to Mazda. My Christmas Present was a set of jumper cables to keep in the truck of this car with only 17,000 miles on it. Mazda apparently makes defective cars now and does not back them up.
    Visitor, Waikoloa, HI, November 21, 2012 09:44
    I purchased my MX-5 new and for the most part it has been great. I have 18,000 miles I seem to have the same problem as others. The check engine light is on some of the time and the Dealer charges $92.00 to clear the error, several times! there is never anything wrong or so they say. There must be an electrical problem because the battery goes dead after sitting for a few days. It's a fun car and it is a shame the Dealer won't try harder to get so of the issues resolved. I more I read what others have as problems the more I see a pattern of similar issues. COME ON MAZDA GET WITH IT, IF YOU WANT LOYAL CUSTOMERS
    Visitor, San Diego, CA, August 20, 2012 14:45
    I love my 2006 MX - 5 with only 13,00 miles with one exception. Every since I bought the car I have had a check engine light that always seems to be lit. The car has been taken to the dealer for repairs numerous times. They have said i did not replace the gas cap twice, replaced the gas cap, replaced the gas filler pipe; but the light is still on 60% of the time. Now It has failed its Calif. emissions test, not for emissions, but a computer glitch related to a sensor. Mazda has denied my emissions warranty.
    Armydicked, Elk Grove, CA, May 23, 2012 01:40
    When you steal a car from the street, it is called Grand Theft Auto; When you steal a car from a dealer, its called being a SHRUDE Operator!!! I stole my 1999 Miata. At $4K, 97K miles, flawless motor, interior/exterior horrid top, it was a good buy. But when someone cut the top on the dealer's lot AND it was replaced by the dealer's insurance AND they only wanted $4K for it---Stick 'em up, here's your money. I enjoy cheating stupid people---its just what I do. Like paying $150.00 for a signed Suwada in Museum Quality framing (it was marked down 6 times from $1,500.00). I can not express the joy in my heart when, having bought the Litho and put it in my car, the saleswoman and MANAGER chased me down and offered me $300.00 on the spot to give them their litho back. Tower Lithos is out of business now (any wonder why?!!!) BACK TO THE MIATA REVIEW. Ladies & Gents---this is your Commuter Car/Weekend Bomber. At 58mph (5th Gear/3K RPMS) I routinely get 29-34MPH---that's hybrid territory for a 12 year old car!!! This is a backyard mechanic's wet dream-plugs are on top of the manifold, alternators can be changed in 4 minutes or less (if you put spark plug paste on the Ibolt), the car will go 300K & pass smog, you can drive it with one finger because it is PERFECTLY balanced, 12 years old and it still is a babe magnet, etc. etc. Wanna save money for your retirement? Drive into any Fast Food window and open your car door---them quarters add up and you are so low to the ground that all you have to do is sweep your hand to scoop up the change!!! You can park on a postage stamp, turn on a dime and it fits in tight places ( I'm a fan of things that fit into tight places...) NEGATIVES: If you are OLD, FAT or over 6', this is NOT YOUR CAR!!! Sorry!!! Take the bus!!! Want to know what it was like being a JEW under the Spanish Inquisition? Drive a Miata over 100 miles without a stretch break and tell me about your back or your kidneys!!!
  • 2008 Mazda Miata MX-5
    2008Miata, Porter Ranch, CA, April 03, 2012 13:26
    My miata 2008 auto transmission. On the transmission fluid pan has 2bolts, one is for drain and the other one is check fluid level and refill fluid. Is this right story???
    Visitor, Myrtle Creek, OR, March 08, 2012 11:31
    I bought my '90 Miata new. It has been and still is a great car. Currently has 86k miles on the odometer. It has never had mechanical problem in all those miles and 22 years. I replaced the top about 2 years ago. New top has glass back window (much better than original). I only wish I had paid an extra $1,400 for the removable hard top the dealer had at the time.
  • 1997 Mazda Miata MX-5
    Visitor, Saint Petersburg, FL, January 13, 2012 12:15
    Bought my '97 M Edition this summer. My Mom had the original year for 11 years and I had the chance to drive it often and I fell in love. I became hooked on convertibles when I was 8 years old. No I wasn't driving (haha). My Dad's best friend used to take me for rides in the hills of San Francisco and Napa in a '67 MG. Talk about Heaven. My Limited Edition had 164k miles when I got it but had been well maintained. It's my only car. Right now I have a valve lifter issue, but come to find out, there's all kinds of stabilizer bars on the under carriage, a racing clutch and the great roll bar that came factory installed. I just might change my name to Mario Andretti!
    Visitor, New Brighton, PA, January 11, 2012 19:46
    I have owned British sports cars off and on for the last 45 years. My last being a 1980 MGB that I re-did. When I retired I wanted to road cruze but was a little hesitant to travel far in the MG. I ran across a 1996 MX5 in great shape and fell in love. I sold the MG and settled in driving the Miata. It's a great little car that handles very well, corners nicely and has just enough power. At 65000 miles I replaced the timing belt ,water pump and brakes. This is a car that I would be willing to drive cross country ( a consideration ) and not have any qualms at all. Overall the Miata is a great sportscar that is reliable and very fun to drive
  • 1992 Mazda Miata MX-5
    Visitor, Rancho Santa Margarita, CA, December 16, 2011 17:12
    I've owned a 1992 mx5 for 10 years, I'm the second owner of the vehicle. I bought it with 65,000 miles on the odometer, it now has 230,000 miles on it and still runs strong. I live in Orange County, ca not far from Laguna Beach and use this car for weekend running around and love it. I can't say enough about this little car, and can't seem to let it go, that's how much I enjoy putting around in this little race car. Plain and simple, it's economical, and mostly, reliable.
  • 2008 Mazda Miata MX-5
    Visitor, Dorchester, IA, October 16, 2011 10:35
    I bought new,love the performance and handling, oem battery (panasonic) lasted only 2 years, and drainage tubes have plugged, filling the footwells with water.These tubes are located under the roof when retracted, and plug easily with debris from trees, etc. Dealer charges 800 bucks to clear them, seems there are no permanent solutions available.You can try using a trombone cleaner to shove stuff down, and if you can get past the one way valve, everything comes out a hole on the underside of the frame.Really mickey mouse system. maciron9@hotmail.com
    Visitor, Neskowin, OR, October 04, 2011 15:26
    I'm the original owner of my '96 miata, and I love it. Originally it was just a summer car in Vermont, but now out here in Oregon it's my everyday car. 170K miles, and have only had one set of brake pads and the clutch replaced(clutch #2 is coming soon unfortunately), no other maintenance except for oil changes. It's losing oil somewhere and the interior could use a major refresh, but no big deal. I'm going to hate having to give this car up some day!
  • 1997 Mazda Miata MX-5
    RocketDad, Huntsville, AL, June 13, 2011 11:07
    Bought it with only 9800 on it in NH 11 years ago and drove in NY and now AL. Fantastic car. Have 75000 mostly city miles and do expected maintenance and always change oil every 5000. Did timing belt and water pump as a precaution due to age at 60000. (once you do belt may as well pull water pump). Other than that only brake slave cylinder has failed and exhaust due to salt in NY. No other failures at all, I did replace the plastic rear window for looks. Buy one of these and you will smile every day.
    Visitor, Hartford, MI, March 20, 2011 11:47
    I did a lot of research on this particular mx5 before looking for one. It has surpassed my expectations and I love to drive this car, especially with the soft top down. After six months of looking at other sports cars, Mazda was the best choice. To drive one is to want one.
  • 2004 Mazda Miata MX-5
    Visitor, Effort, PA, March 08, 2011 09:36
    This is the first Miata(2004) I have ever owned. I was always afraid to do do-it -self add-ons with my other cars. Not so with this one I have put on a dual exhaust( approx. 45 min.) I have had the entire dash out and back again. Everything seems to be 10mm to 13mm sockets. As far as driving. I love it. There is nothing like crusing along main street or on a country road with the top down and tunes going.
    patrick mannion, Capitola, CA, November 19, 2010 17:43
    As the former owner of half a dozen British sports cars, I came across a great deal on a high mileage slightly beat up Mazda Miata. What a surprise! After doing several minor repairs and catching up on neglected maintenance by the previous owner I started to drive and enjoy my Miata more and more. I asked myself the question do I want to work on my British cars during the week so I could drive the car at the weekend, or drive a convertible any time I wanted. The Mazda has the soul of a MG or Triumph with Japanese reliability. I have put up nearly 180,000 miles not one ounce of trouble. It is a car I know I could get in and drive across the country in the morning if I had too. With minimum care these cars are fun, reliable, economical, cheap to maintain, and a great second hand bargain. Zoom Zoom for ever!!!!
  • 2007 Mazda Miata MX-5
    zoomzoom, Morgan Hill, CA, November 12, 2010 09:06
    We have low mileage on this car, around 5000 at this time. Everything has worked great so far and have had no problems with it. We have the retractable hard top and love it. Gas mileage is around 30 to 34 highway.
    Visitor, Bowling Green, OH, September 06, 2010 21:59
    still running strong at 269K+ miles. love this car to death ... dealing with a lot of rust issues though
    Visitor, Mountain View, CA, August 03, 2010 12:46
    Bought the car at 35k mi, now has 78k mi. Aside from regular maintenance, this car has been extremely reliable. Idle droop occurred at ~50k, fixed by cleaning the intake manifold. Torn lower shift boot found at 60k which may be contributing to some shift notchiness, but I bet it still shifts better than 95% of all cars out there. Other than that, nothing but miles and miles of smiles.
    Visitor, Fort Collins, CO, July 31, 2010 20:17
    I have owned my 90 since 95. When I bought it it had 30,000 miles on it, now has 130,000. Love this car. Do the scheduled maintenance and give it the TLC it deserves and these cars will be there for you. Radio is a problem, had to replace it in 2001. Paint peeled starting in 1997, have talked to other owners, same problems. I am 6'3" with a 32" inseam and 300 Lbs, this car fits me better than most cars out there. I have major back problems and I can sit in this car much longer than any thing else I have ridden in.
  • 1995 Mazda Miata MX-5
    Visitor, Papillion, NE, July 28, 2010 07:16
    I have owned a 1995 Miata since my divorce in 2005. I wanted something sporty and economical but only had $3,800 to spend. I got the best of both worlds with my Miata. The ladies love it...well most of them. Can't please everyone. I have never replaced the brakes when I get them checked the shop says they are fine. It had 60,000 miles on it when I bought it. It now has over 191,000 miles on it and running good. I have replaced the master and slave cylinder, new drive shaft (can't replace just the U Joint),new exhaust regular oil changes and today for the first time the thermostat is being replaced (running hot). It will be hard to give this car up so I will give it to my son when he graduates from High School. I will probably end up getting a newer Miata 2005? I would love to test drive a new 2010 Miata but I would fall in love with it and would have to sell my new Harley. Love Miata!
  • 2010 Mazda Miata MX-5
    Visitor, San Juan, PR, July 19, 2010 18:15
    stop light in retractable top always with humidity.Anyone with this problem?
  • 1994 Mazda Miata MX-5
    UnKnown Name, Peoria, IL, June 29, 2010 10:52
    I loved my 94 miata. It had about 60,000 miles on it and was still like new. Whoever owns it now probably thinks the same.
    Visitor, Harwood Heights, IL, June 27, 2010 08:09
    1996 Miata bought new and follwed maintenance schedule. Very reliable automobile. Recently (2010) found that some tire manufactures are no longer have available the 14 inch tires in that size.
    atlast, Fort Mill, SC, May 25, 2010 18:46
    Red soft top 5 speed and 34,000miles - no problems great car. Have also had oil services. Replaced Air filter with K&N after 1000miles. Original tires.
  • 2000 Mazda Miata MX-5
    Visitor, Sevierville, TN, April 22, 2010 00:37
    Fabulous car. I've had it ten years now and (besides break ins) never any trouble. A bit too slippery in fresh snow, but it corners like a train and stops on a dime. A flashlight deals well with the lack of a trunk or glovebox light. Wish I had a real spare instead of a doughnut. Now I am looking for the 60,000 mile service and replacing the timing belt. I love my car!
  • 2001 Mazda Miata MX-5
    tskipper, Wilmington, NC, November 09, 2009 03:28
    My Miata is an SE model with a 6 speed manual trans. It has 17,500 miles on it (Garage Queen). The only problem I've had is the clutch (chudders) and I can be difficult to shift into 5 and 6th gears at times. I replaced the trans. fluid with synthetic (Red Line) fluid. I also replaced the clutch fluid (SAE #3, brake fluid) and bleed the line. This has greatly improved the trans. shift problems. The original owner had not taken the car in for any recalls nor done any maintenance except for oil changes. I purchased the car in 2008 and everything was OER and stock. Love the car plan to keep it for my grandson (1yr old).
  • 2002 Mazda Miata MX-5
    plushee, Brentwood, NY, August 11, 2009 08:29
    this is another great miata, my second since its debut . i drove my '90 for 13 years, 318k miles. my '02 has 150k on it, no problems. we're going for another 300k. i am doing brakes alot (maybe i'm hard on brakes)
  • 1995 Mazda Miata MX-5
    rrusson, Deerfield Beach, FL, June 05, 2009 11:41
    Still going strong after 15 years, but various electrical systems are starting to fail. It's been a really fun and inexpensive ride. Very easy to maintain and the handling is amazing for the price.
    not happy, Buffalo, NY, March 08, 2009 17:15
    The finish has been poor from the start. Mazda dealer did some polishing but I would expect perfect from a NEW car. 3 batteries in 2 1/2 years even with a smart charger over 36000 kms on car. I have 4 cars and 2 motorcycles and I dont have anywhere near the problem with them. there is a gremblin in the charging system and Mazda wont acknowledge that there IS a problem. my 2 cents.
  • 1991 Mazda Miata MX-5
    Stevelovescars, San Jose, CA, October 06, 2008 13:40
    I've owned my 1991 Miata for ten years and am the second owner. I have owned a lot of cars over the years, before and since the Miata, but this is the only car I have kept for a long time. I simply cannot bring myself to sell it. It requires almost nothig yet gives back so much. It's fun, economical, nearly bulletproof (only problem to date other than maintenance was a power window motor... not bad for a 17-year-old car). If you are looking for a fun commuter car, a used Miata cannot be beat. If you are looking for a low-cost way to star racing, a Miata is terrific. The only downsides are really just inherent with light-weight sports cars - noise at highway speeds (I used foam earplugs on a cross-country trip), lack of storage space (but actually not bad for a car like this... I can fit a golf bag in the trunk or 5 large grocery bags), and a choppy ride.
  • 2004 Mazda Miata MX-5
    The Miata Guy, Thousand Oaks, CA, September 26, 2008 11:43
    My 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata is my fifth Miata in 10 years. Every time Mazda upgraded the car, I traded up. The Mazdaspeed has a turbocharged engine, numerous suspension upgrades, and other go-faster goodies. It was sold in limited numbers for 2004 and 2005, and in special colors. Every Miata I've owned has been almost flawless in terms of reliability. My 2001 had a transmission issue fixed under a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB), but otherwise no problems with any of them. One warning, however. Two of my Miatas have been broken into by a thief wielding a knife, and replacement tops for the Miata are not cheap, so I strongly recommend garaging the car overnight or buying the optional hardtop. As for size, I can fit a briefcase and an overhead compartment rollaway or garment bag into the trunk. Also, I'm 6'0", I weigh 250 pounds, and my inseam is 33 inches. I fit into the Miata perfectly, though will admit that if I were an inch or two taller there's no way I'd be able to drive this car. Miatas are not fast in a straight line, not even my turbo. However, they can blaze down a canyon or country road with the best sports cars on the market. In terms of steering, brakes, suspension, and transmission, a Miata is a pure sports car. Top down on a warm summer evening, there's nothing this side of $40K that can touch it for pure, unadulterated driving enjoyment (except maybe a Honda S2000). If driving fun trumps practicality and you can live with a two seater, the Miata should be on your list.
  • 2007 Mazda Miata MX-5
    Guido, Elmwood, IL, September 15, 2008 19:16
    This is a great little car. I have the Hard top convertable and it is great. Gets thirty to thirty two MPG. I had a MGB before but sold it. I am very glad I have this new Miata and I love it!!