Isuzu Reviews & Ratings

Read real experiences from Isuzu owners like you.

Isuzu (84 Reviews)
Overall
I bought mine new in 1992. Its still my favorite, most dependable car after 215,000 miles in Alaska. I did have to rebuild the transmission at 163k but I run 4 wheel drive all winter.

It is important to do the regularly scheduled maintenance and all fluid changes. Heavy 4 wheel useage will require packing (greasing) the front hubs at least annually.

I really wish I could buy a new one.
My dad bought me this car used. I love it but its a money pit. There are always problems. It 's nice on the inside and out I just wish it would work regularly. I will not be buying any Isuzu's in my future.
excelente the only problem i have is vibration from the compressor or ac.
Love my Isuzu. Have taken very good care of it and it has paid me back as an outstanding vehicle.
nothing fancy but solid good truck, great mileage for the era. Not as good as a ranger but WAY better than that piece of crap tacoma I used to own. Toyota targets people who know absolutely nothing about cars and then throws around the word reliable....NOT
I have had this Isuzu since November of1991 it has been real good suv it has 300002 it now getting weak now but I'm still driving
For a 26 year old vehicle that had spotty maintenance till now, this truck is easy to repair, so worth the investment and worth buying new parts 1 by 1. I just want to know how to get above 20mpg gas milage.
very good vehicle. i don't regret buying it(used for 1800 bucks. I would do it again). great 4wd, beast in snow(with all-season tires); but... gas mileage stinks(avg 15mpg); expect to have to replace a lot of wear parts(mine were mostly the originals) starting at about 170,000. if you get one, be sure to get the thing completely lubed(inc front bearings packed), and probably timing belt replaced as well ASAP. easy DIY's: brakes, shocks, radiator, fan clutch, oil changes(inc rear diff and x-fer case). not so easy: front diff gear oil change, exhaust flex pipe, muffler, valve cover gaskets, alternator. difficult to impossible for most DIY'rs: timing belt, pulleys, and water pump; trans filter(x-member bolts will snap). now at 190,000, i'm thinking it's closing in on engine overhaul time(not smoking at all, but valve chatter and piston slap getting worse, and I don't want to change the valve cover gaskets)
Having owned 100's of cars and trucks in my lifetime... this Isuzu I-290, a Chevy Colorado knock-off, is the BIGGEST PIECE OF CRAP I've ever owned!
tengo una isuzo trooper 95 no harranca me moja las bujias de gasolina
ya cambie modulo tampoco sigue igual
the brake light comes on and it is losing brake fluid somewhere been checking for it but cant seem to find a leak anywhere. it pulls to the left.
I bought this SUV in spring of '08, she only had 40,000 miles on her. This has been the best vehicle I have ever owned, still looks gorgeous and drives like a caddy! However, this past year and with a now 122,000 miles she having issues, mostly electrical, but if I'm not replacing one headlight or tail lite, and engine light now on, something to do with some idle "what what", now must get that repaired, all and all for 8 yrs old, she's still the best and also.....she's paid for too!
BOUGHT IT NEW IN 2004, ONE OWNER, 94k MILES ONLY, ALL SERVICE AND MAINTANENCE PERFORMED ON TIME, WHAT'S HAPPEND - POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE PROGRAMMING ERROR. CODE P0602. IZUSU SERVICE HAS REPROGRAMMED IT AND DID EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO MAKE THIS JUNK ALIVE FOR A LITTLE BIT, VEHICLE HAS DIED IN SECONDS COUPLE TIMES ALREADY ON HIGHWAY, STREET, PAID MY $$$$ TO TOW TRUCK DRIVER, THIS VEHICLE JUST PIECE OF ....
have nothing but touble with pickup 2006 Isuzu, light's,brake's interior,noise from dash board,engine light's stay's on, seat belt light stay's on spent over 1,000 on it to get it fixed and when we left, light,s were still on
my ascender has has problems with two throttle body changes, recalls, two bad ignition switches, gear box, air conditioner blows through only two vents. and dealer changed sensors so many times so cincinnati now has no dealers after all have closed. now who will really fix my truck or do i find new dealer to give my funds to just to have it have issues they claim to fix. help i need my huge investment to run i homeschool and need a running vehicle again.
It's a great vehicle!! Enjoying my 1990 Trooper since 1992. Highways, off road, daily driver, anything mover, etc... Over 250,000 miles on it. No problems ever with the auto transmission. The 2.6 liters, four cylinder engine is an excellent engine.
Electrical problems from day 1 with this vehicle. Alternator replaced 6 months after purchasing brand new. Lights flicker on and off, key remote stop working and back hatch will not open. It rides great but too many issues...
Bought my baby in 2004 with 80k miles on it. The owner of the car put 50k miles on it the year before I bought it. It now has 223,000 and still going strong. Only thing that I wish was better is the valve cover gasket, I have replaced two of them. The large tires help handling. 2.2L Engine still runs good. Five speed tranny is fun and crisp. Mileage is averaging 23mpg. Wish they kept making them. May have to retire her cause parts are getting scarce.
I got the same problem with my rodeo has 170k miles and runs like a champ still ,but sometimes the power reduce light comes on and im not able run more than 5 miles it goes very slow but ones I turn the motor off and then on the car runs perfect again..we already change all the sensor's and nothing ,we check all the wires and hoses and nothing,some mechanic told me that was the tottle body but now after paying money and time im prefferd that somebody who realy know can assist me ..please let me know ..tks
Transmission: after having the car stuck at the machine shop (doing some valve head repairs) which extended for over three months, I've noticed my transmission hesitating when starting (seems like clutch slippage). Wonder (hope) this is due to machine being down for so long. Next steps, check oil level, if ok, run car for over 1-2 hours to see if after warming up problem gets eliminated. Open to hear any expert advice. Best to all!
An excellent little pickup-very dependable!!!
i have a 1992 rodeo and it has 289,950 miles on it and still doesn't burn a drop of oil. Two problems with it though electric winds are falty and powr steering pumps needs to be eplaced , over all i give this car an A+ for dependabity.
es muy buena pero al ser carburador a mi en lo personal me a dado muchos problemas ya que era usada pero no quita que sea muy eficiente. pregunta? porque se apaga cuando voy de bajada a y tambien tiene prendido el testigo de motor hechenme la mano, muchas gracias.
Bought it used with fifty thousand on it for my son to use for school, have had it for four years and no major problems and everyone knows how well college kids take care of their vehicles. Gas tank is a little small (14 gal) seeing as it only gets 15mpg city and 18mpg highway. I'm online right now looking for exhaust parts and they seem a bit expensive.
Bought this car in 2005. It came from a car rental place. It had high miles on it. It is now 2012, and has over 130,000 miles on it. It still runs and looks fantastic. Other than regular maintenance, I have only had to replace the starter. I would recommend this vehicle!
fantastic car, no issues with maintenance, wish thay still made them, extremely nimmble and responsive
I've spent about a grand on trying to get it to run right. It only has 70K on it but has the lifter tick that you hear from most of them. Also the intermitent rough idle issue that I hear everyone bitching about. This little nigga is driving me crazy, sometimes I wish someone would piledrive me(or the Rodeo)and put one or both of us out of our misery. LOL
Engine vibration
I BOUGHT THIS TRUCK FOR 700.00 NOT KNOWING THE PROBLEMS I WILL FACE. I HAVE PUT OVER 300.00 AND STILL NOT WOKING LIKE I WANT IT TO BUT I STILL HAVE FAITH THAT I MADE A GOOD CHOICE. IF YOU WANT A TRUCK THAT WILL TEST YOUR MECANICAL SKILLS THEN THIS IS THE TRUCK FOR YOU.
water leaks into cab, blower motor failed (broken resistor), evv failed and replacing was very expensive ($500). drive is sluggish but used to it.