Mercedes-Benz 300TE Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your Mercedes-Benz 300TE
- Sunroof Components May Fail Due to Age and Wear
- Repair Leaks From Head Gasket/Timing Cover Gasket Before Oil and Coolant Intermix
- Part that attaches distributor rotor to camshaft may break
- Service Cooling System on Older Vehicles Even if Mileage is Low
- Shifter Lever Bushings May Break Causing Loose Feel/Noise
- Just had head rebuilt engine compartment steam cleaned odometer has quit
- R & R water pump
- What causes the directional switch to not work, & turn off the ext temp display?
- To start the starter turns over quickly about 20 times before it fires
- I have a 1990 TE300 and once it is warm it has a problem shifting to top (4th)
Mercedes-Benz 300TE Problems
The sunroof may not work correctly due to failed components as a result of age and wear. Repairing a sunroof can be labor intensive and very costly.
Internal and External engine oil & coolant leaks can develop from the head gasket and/or timing cover gasket; these leaks should be repaired before the engine oil and coolant intermix which can result in severe engine damage.
Mercedes-Benz 300TE Questions
Odometer/trip counter has stopped, speedo works.
It seems like it isn't going to start then when I put my foot down on the throttle it eventually fires. Mostly happens when it is warm.
Mercedes-Benz 300TE Reviews
Awesome car! These cars were so over-engineered and built as to almost never wear out. We drive "Betty" all over the Big Island with no worries about break-downs, etc. If you think getting your oil/filter changed is a service, you're heading for trouble, no matter what you drive. I service the car well, near-new tires, belts, hoses, etc. replaced on a regular basis. Use only Premium fuel...
Over all the car is very well made mine has 270,000 miles normal maint is required.
I have purchased a 1990 300TE. Bodywork fab, general condition is awesome throughout. Some slight problems with the transmission, but nothing that a transmission oil change and check on vacuum pipes won't cure. All in all fantastic! My car has completed 217,000 miles so far. good for another 200,000 with good care.