When the brake pedal is depressed, the wheel cylinder uses the hydraulic pressure generated by the brake master cylinder to force the brake shoes against the inside of the brake drum, which slows down the wheel.
Symptoms of Wear or Failure
- Leaking brake fluid
- Brakes may not stop the vehicle
Related Repair Advice
- If fluid from a leaking wheel cylinder has contaminated the brake shoes, the shoes will need to be replaced
- We recommend that wheel cylinders be replaced in pairs
- We recommend having the brake hydraulic system flushed any time a component in the hydraulic system is replaced or if the hydraulic system is opened
- Wheel cylinders need to be replaced when they begin to leak fluid, as they can damage other components and become corroded. Replacing them may be recommended as preventative maintenance when other brake work is being performed.