Reviews for Ford Explorer years:

Ford Explorer Reviews and Owner Comments

Ford ExplorerOwner Reviews (122 reviews)
    NOMOREFORD, Tuckahoe, NY, April 02, 2014 16:07
    My First new Ford Explorer was a 1997 v8; wonderful with 232,000 miles on it. Bought new 2006 v8 Ford Explorer, and what a nightmare. Many problems. Notably, radiator was replaced 12/2011 cost $634.00 Radiator just went again. I learned that faulty radiators have been a major issue since 2006 came out. Ford is aware of this and never did a recall, or extended warranty. Buyers of FORDS and suckers beware. I no longer support FORD nor will I ever say anything positive about Fords ever again. Hall of Shame on Ford!
    ijennings, Coatesville, PA, March 30, 2014 10:48
    I have a 2004 ford explorer and this sub has been trouble sense i bought it first it sarted loosen power and later on after dealing with that and getting that fix finally the rear hatch just one day part while someone was in it the windsheild and shatter and the hatch just busted out of it's position this is a very defective suv hate i bought it.
    Visitor, South Lebanon, OH, February 15, 2014 11:16
    I brought my 2005 ford explorer love it until at 50,000 had to buy tires, brakes, alternator, fix the auto seat on driver side and now at 75,000 I have that famous crack on the back of the hitch and something is going on with the transmission. I brought 2 new vehicles from ford in 2005 and I don't think I will buy anything else from them. My 2005 F-150 truck has had a lot of parts replaced and repaired and it has about the same amount of miles on it. Ford you have lost a repeat customer.
    Visitor, Winston Salem, NC, November 22, 2013 06:59
    1997 ford explorer egr vacuum solenoid
  • 2013 Ford Explorer
    Visitor, Houston, TX, May 22, 2013 06:06
    Recently purchased the 2013 Explorer and basically love it except when driving at highway speeds hear a rattling or buzzing bee type noise coming from the front windshield. Needless to say with only 800 miles on this vehicle, it will be going back to the dealership.
  • 2013 Ford Explorer
    Visitor, Corona, CA, April 27, 2013 12:59
    I love the looks and design of our 2013 Explorer, however I have a persistent wind noise coming from the lower right side of the windshield when a strong right to left cross wind is present. The dealership has been unable to diagnose the problem after two visits. Also, I feel that the v-6 engine is under powered and constantly has to be kicked into another gear to accelerate even moderately. Otherwise, the 2013 Explorer is a beauty which needs a few refinements.
    Visitor, Kenosha, WI, April 16, 2013 17:38
    Let me start off by saying ford explorers and their engineers suck. Who ever designed this engine shouldn't be an engineer. I have a 2002 ford explorer 4.0 v6 sohc this pos has been the worst Suv or automobile I have ever owned. Ford should have gone for bankruptcy instead of Chrysler. Back to my POS I have had this car for four years and put money after money into this Suv . First the tranny 3500 year later the driver side timing chain 2300 I have kept up with maintenance year after year . Who puts plastic guides into an engine with a metal timing chain what was that engineer smoking. I have more to list about this so called Suv but to much for this little section. To anyone who thinks or looking into buying an ford DON'T DO IT there engines are designed to fail.
    Visitor, Montrose, CO, April 04, 2013 15:52
    We brought a 02 explorer in Sept of 20012 with 56000 mile on it. It looks and run like it just came off the assembly line. No problems. I am married to motorhead that worked for Car quest parts for 15 years. He didn't say a thing about the prices for parts for this vehicle. Any other SUVs I couldn't get him to shut up..Mind you, we drove 81 chevy blazer that last 15 years so to us this luxury car. Currently the front windshield crack dont how but insurance is covering it. Getting ready to take it on its first road trip to Las Vegas in June. I know we will pleasant trip with car..
    Visitor, Louisville, KY, March 28, 2013 20:30
    I bought my 94 explorer from wayside chrisian mission. The previous owner had replaced the ransmission at 160000. The only problem is the muffler was rotted out and fell off but, it was an easy fix and I haven't had any problems since. his is a good suv to have.
    Visitor, Canton, OH, March 20, 2013 09:26
    fords suck!!!Hard to work on not to mention pricey parts and half years who thought of this half yr crap needs to be awawrded college troghy for over paid genuises ie. thx to ford i got to know what half yr it was made in!!! Thank you ford cant thank you enough for the headache when trying to fix a easy fix!!!
    Visitor, Decatur, IL, January 03, 2013 18:53
    I have a 1994 xlt, my dad bought it new the same year i was born an now i have it. its got 185,400 miles on it an still runs strong as ever.other than a few performance mods, the only money spent in parts was just for maintenance. its used for off-road an pulling an yet still is an excellent vehicle. an its the exact same color asthe one in the picture. brilliant blue.
    BelAirCarGuy, Bel Air, MD, January 03, 2013 17:37
    Bought my 2006 Explorer Limited V-8 with 32,000 miles in January 2010. Now has 67000 miles. Had electrical short and rear lights stopped working, transmission hard to shift from Park into any gear and had to have the shifter replaced, radiator replaced due to leaking, both power third row seats broke and had to have the motors replaced. Other items have just been normal maintenance. Lucky I bought an extended warranty from CarMax for about $1200, as the repairs amounted to about $2000, but only had to pay $50 deductible for each repair (all repairs occurred at different times). Overall like to vehicle and it drives and rides great due to the independent rear suspension, which makes the ride very smooth. Would buy another Explorer, and would make sure I got an extended warranty to cover these expensive repairs.
    Visitor, Greenville, WI, December 26, 2012 18:52
    I bought my explorer in 06. Like many on here it was a great suv for the first year then the tail gate cracked (no recall) rear window lock and wiper assy quite a year later and then just feel apart the following year front door lock is broke and the others won't lock or unlock from the outside anymore When i get in the truck the dome light comes on and then stays on until you get up to 10mph, front wheel bearing went next the heater door started the ticking noise a year after i had it and now the heater wont blow any air at all. checked the blower it runs replaced the heater resistor still don't work Looks like a hole new heater switch assy or switches. front headlight on passenger side went out every winter. Not really impressed with this vehicle and too like others on here the tranny or the rearend seems to slip at times like one wheel is on ice even when your on dry pavement.
    Visitor, Stockton, CA, December 25, 2012 11:29
    I bought a 94 XLT from a private owner almost 2 years ago. That was my lucky day! It needed some work and the owner didnt want to maintain the DMV and Insurance so he onloaded it for $700 with the tags still current, Title clear and even had a current smog certificate. It was so easy to work on I did the repairs at home for less than $100 parts. 47,000 miles later it's right at 200,000 miles and just passed the bi-annual smog check. This is a really old car but made well because my cost per mile has been the best deal of any car I've owned in 35 years. "F.O.R.D. Found On Road Driving."
    Baumbach23, Oxford, NE, December 01, 2012 20:43
    I recently purchased my 2 wheel drive Explorer, and have expierenced Mpg from 19 to 22 on the Highway. The weak point on the interrior are the arm rests which have both suffered breakage of the plastic reinforcement at the handle. Beyond a rougher than usual idle at 167000 miles, and a broken heater hot/cold blend door that will cook you out the vehicle so far has proven to be reliable enough to travel 120 miles a day round trip to work. Some day I will diagnose the rough idle but so far it hasnt caused a problem. A co worker of mine had a broter who owned one of these, and expierenced a collision that set off both airbags, to discover the vent holes in the back side of the steering column were never cut at the factory, along with the seam in the center of the drivers air bag unsewn. I hope to never ever have to discover this myself. He lives, but has had several reconstructive surgeries to repair the burns from the propellent in the air bag.
    JESSIJAMES, Poughkeepsie, NY, July 29, 2012 01:23
    I bought my explorer in December 2006 with 69,000 miles. As of today, I have 278,880 miles. Except for the transmission, I haven't had any major problems. The only reason I had to replace the tranny, was because I never did the transmission fluid changes and it finally gave out at 187,000 miles. I did my first tuneup last year at 237,000 miles. I gave 3 stars for heat/air because there seems to be a problem with the blend door on these vehicles. I replaced it in November 2010 at a cost of $1000, only to have it stop working 6 months later. Replaced it for the 2nd time myself in October 2011 and it's still working. Overall, I love my truck and will not even consider any other vehicle.
    Visitor, Kingsport, TN, July 22, 2012 08:51
    The Explorer was my first Ford purchase. At first,the check engine light came on and I took it to several locations and no one could diagnose problem. They replaced oxygen sensors several times only temp fix. Finally, in spite of their dire warnings I let it go. I've driven it 5 years now without incident so I figure light problem was some fluke. No major failures, I've driven many miles with only regular maintenance. I've read bad reviews of this model but apparently not all vehicles made this year were bad. I've definitely gotten my money's worth out of this vehicle and that is what matters to me. Minor issues include rusting running boards and driver side door lock problem. Not bad for 12 year old vehicle.
    Visitor, Saint Marys, GA, July 12, 2012 07:39
    http://www.fordservoboretransmissionfixsolution.com is where you can get a fix for your transmission if the OD light is flashing or Check Engine light is on. If you get Codes for your trans like PO 775 or PO 745, it is most likely the servo bores. This place gets you a 200.00 fix that you can do in your driveway in 2 hours. It fixed my 03 2 weeks ago and is now doing fine! Ford originally replaced my transmission case at 36,000 miles for this problem. Now it happened again at 148,000. Puts more mileage on a nice vehicle!
    Jwolff5232, Chula Vista, CA, June 26, 2012 14:16
    I bought this car 5 years ago for 3500 bucks. Back then it only had strong at 189k. I always change my oil and spark plugs, just doing the basic stuff is always important. My front and rear suspension ball joints make a clunking noise, but other then that have not had any problems. At one point my transmission was making an intermittent whirring noise (at around 150k), but for the last 25k miles, it has since vanished. Wish it got better gas mileage, for a V6 its very archaic. I only average around 14/18, but always super reliable. Occasionally on start-up, the idle is weak and I have to keep gas on it to stabilize but it always evens out after a few seconds. Maybe a vacuum leak? Overall.. awesome car, has held up great.
  • 2007 Ford Explorer
    Visitor, Center Ossipee, NH, June 26, 2012 11:37
    In comparison to other mid size SUV'S the 2007 Ford explorer is well built and sturdy! Maintainence is simple and not to expensive to adhere to maintence schedule! The Explorer has a compfortable ride and handels well! The interior is could use a more compfortable seating system. The base of the front seats are short and do not support large individuals comfort. They seeemed to sacrafice the seating legnth to gain more interior room. The exterior lighting in this vehicle tends to create moisture on the inside of the lenses of the head lamps, fog lamps, and tail lamps! The under powered engin is a handicap on the highway when attempting to pass other slower vehicles! The truck needs a more horse power and a redesigned transmission that compliments more power and sufficient fuel economy! The downside to the explorer is the engin's lack of power, fuel economy associated with minimal power as well as it's lack of ability in towing. The 210 Horse power engin is weak with the transmission design. The tramission and differential's lack of transference of power consumes too much fuel with limited performance! The wheel bearings are a vast improvment from prior explorers and the comfort in ride has improved! Otherwise, The 2007 Ford Explorer Is a a sound built SUV with a dominate appearence. The 4 wheel drive is average and sufficient with the weak performing enginn. The truck his durable and can uphold it's value for the money. Just as long as it's not bought for towing or off-roading. I love my exploerer and has served me well! Minimal repairs other than basic matainence. She's reliable and sturdy! I would reccomend the V-8 model! This would then be a top ranked SUV! As I finish the service is excellent, Ford stands strongly by thier product and has gained a lifelong customer!
    Visitor, Santa Ana, CA, June 11, 2012 21:25
    I was told I need to replace the front end of my 98 Ford Explorer It has 211000 miles on it runs great. They said I need new ball joints,tie rods,shocks and struts how much should this cost? They quoted $795.00 Thanks Dawn
    Visitor, Greensburg, KY, June 02, 2012 19:41
    my 96 explorer keeps braking flywills it has hapend twice so far i just got a knew one witha a knew starter but it is still acting the same when you start the truck it makes a screatch like the starter isent disingaging fast enuf but it just dus it when you start it
    Visitor, Middletown, RI, May 19, 2012 10:56
    I absolutely hate this SUV. We bought ours used in 2007 and it worked fine for about a year. We have replaced the alternator every year since, the back passenger window motor has been replaced and is currently not working again, replaced all 4 wheel bearings multiple times, back hub assemblies as well, the back panel below window in gate cracked for no reason, the panels next to the back windows are faded, transmission is starting to slip, doesnt want to start in the winter for no reason at all, the heater door doesnt work it just clicks and i am not spending 600 to stop the clicking noise when my husband can reach in and flip it over and takes care of the clicking, and now it is saying it has something wrong with the air injection system. This thing has become a money pit and isnt worth the headache! STAY AWAY FROM THIS SUV
    Visitor, Ocala, FL, March 17, 2012 07:31
    I'VE HAD THIS TRUCK FOR A WHILE AND I LOVE MY 5 SPEED BUT I GOT A NEW SEQUOIA AN LET IT SIT FOR A FEW YEARS SO NOW I AM HAVEING PROBLEMS WITH THE FRONT END HOW DO I FIX IT
    Visitor, Oakville, CT, March 13, 2012 23:27
    BOUGHT A 99 XLT IN 2005 WITH APROX. 80,000 MILES. HANDLES GOOD IN ALL WEATHER. HAD TO REPLACE TIMING COVER GASKET IN 2007 AND TRANS. WENT IN 2008 (SUPPOSEDLY A SEAL) HAVE TO ADD A QT. OF OIL EVERY 1K-1500 MILES DUE TO REAR MAIN LEAK (V-8) NEEDS ANOTHER WHELL BEARING AND A FEW MINOR PROBLEMS. FOR THE MOST PART IT'S STRONG AND DEPENDABLE AND CURRENTLY HAS 256,000 MILES.
    Visitor, Phoenix, AZ, March 10, 2012 10:24
    Warning about 2003 Ford Explorer. Per my mechanic this model year and even through 2005 it is almost an expectation, a guarantee, that the TRANSMISSION WILL HAVE TO BE COMPLETELY REPLACED. I have 171,000 miles on mine and the "O/D Light" and "Check Engine Soon" light have been flashing for the last 10,000 miles. If your "O/D Light" starts flashing or "Check Engine Light" stays on the majority of the time or for that matter even starts to flash a little, guaranteed you are SCREWED, SCREWED, SCREWED. Do not kid yourself. You will be out at least $1,800 up to $4,000. The majority of my miles are highway miles and I have babied this vehicle since purchasing it. I had the same thing happen to my 1994 Explorer as well at 185,000 miles. I have loved my Explorers, but will never purchase one again, never. I should have gotten the message the first time. My mechanic told me there is a reason that his family has 7 Nissans of various models. I think I will be switching to a Nissan from now on.
    mtnski, Monument, CO, March 06, 2012 11:41
    I have had my 06' Explorer for 6 years - bought it new. The only problems I've had is the radiator going out at 60,000 and the fan motor for the heater melting. I haven't had to replace the brakes yet and I am at 110,000 miles! Will be doing that soon even though the mechanic says it's not necessary. I absolutely love this car! It is great in the snow here in Colorado and I lug around a large dog and 3 kids every day. Great car...
    boblemmer, Kennesaw, GA, February 25, 2012 20:37
    91 Ford Explorer- I have a vehicle now that is 20 years old and the mileage is now at 402,000 mi. Purchased in '93 with about 50K miles.I have personally done about 100 oil changes now. I have used Pennz. 20W50 oil and Fram filters for most of its life. I fitted the oil drain hole with a valve to be used with a short hose having screw on fitting that opens as you hand thread on. (No wrench required!!) The filter is easy to do along with the vehicle height= easy access. I have maintained it myself except for transmission rebuilds. (Prob. 3-4) average cost each $1200 only soft parts & torque converter. I figured it costs you about a penny a mile not to manually shift. I have never had the valve covers off however they leak some oil. The paint (forest green) is showing primer just on top surfaces. I've done many spark plug changes using conventional plugs @$1.50 each. Driver side ones are a breeze and passenger side 1 rear plug easier from under near oil filter. I am seeing oil deposits on cylinder #5 plug now with a little decrease in power. I installed a cat-back Flowmaster exhaust/muffler after the factory setup rusted through. Only suspension prob. are inexpensive nylon bushings on the front struts which will wear some. If you put a small cooler in front and route the power steering fluid thru it, it keeps seals and fluid fresh for a long time. (Like the stock oil cooler but smaller) The plug wires and hoses are now 20 years old. Protect them from chafing. Most all engine bolt on devices (pumps,etc.) have been replaced once. Belts, tires and shocks more. I don't think I could have had any thing more reliable except when the battery gave up about every 4 years.
    Visitor, Oakland, CA, February 22, 2012 20:03
    I have a 1991 ford explorer and it runs fine, but sometio=mes when I get on the freeway or go up a hill my car slows down with my feet all the down on the gas pedal it then picks up and go like nothing happen.
    Visitor, Birmingham, AL, February 21, 2012 19:30
    310000 and still going strong. Just basic maintence.....if something breaks, fix it!
    Visitor, Dowelltown, TN, February 04, 2012 14:49
    well my name is deborah and I have a 97 ford exp,i have had it 5 years now put about 20thousand miles on it.I have to say I have spent more money on it trying to keep it rnuuing then anything i have ever owned.it looks great. but when you have one that set:s in the drive way 9 months out of the year and has for 5 years well i guess thats why it still looks almost new.I have to say that truly is the worst thing I have every had. wish i had just haif the money back Ive spent on it.I could go buy myself a new chev. I have a 89 chev sub.it has over 4 hundard thousand on it and I would and do still go every where in it.dang I knew better then to buy a ford.
    Visitor, Onsted, MI, January 26, 2012 05:54
    Man, what nice stories! My 2003 is a V8 EB Edition. It was a leased and it had just fewer than 36K miles in 2006. The Ford Dealer that sold it to me told me I did not need a CARFAX report as they do a 115 point inspection BS! Within the first year it was in the shop for some type of repairs. By the 2nd year over 12 times “Items repaired or replaced in 1st Yr.: Computer board that controls the 4X4 in the 2nd week, all 4 half axles, rear end, Trans, brakes, AC clutch, Tires. 2nd Yr.: brakes, all 4 wheel bearings, rear end again, AC clutch again, Door Sensor Driver side” 5 year Radio gone! Things that need work AC blown, rear end again, Wheel Bearings and on and on..
    Visitor, Cambridge Springs, PA, December 17, 2011 07:45
    The lift gate on my 2003 Explorer no longer works to open the lift gate
    Visitor, Lancaster, CA, November 25, 2011 20:05
    ok,so this is how this goes. when we got this truck in '02 it was 3mos. old and was used as a rental vehicle from enterprise. the truck had about 28k miles on it and ran like a dream, had no problems was used for everything since i am a mother of six. now do you see where im going with this, i drove this truck for everything. in '07 the tranny gave out which i gave due to how it was driven (even to oklahoma 2x n back). well at about that time for some reason the mileage/weather temp gauge would start going on/off till it finally went off, dont know why. about '09 the tranny started going out again, and i started driving it only as needed. well in the beginning of '11 the engine finally did it we thought it was the radiator or thermostat,not now 8mos. later and a completely rebuilt motor, new tranny, radiator, fuel pump, etc....$8600 later, we got the truck home on thurs. 11/17/11 and drove it from the shop straight home(bout 7miles) and it was bogging and the check gage like next 2 the gas gage is on,called the shop they told me to drive it a little bit it should be fine n bring in on monday/tuesday so they can check 2 make sure it got sinked up with the computer... no driving on on 18th,dove to p.o. around corner (1/2 mile) , no driving on 20th. well on 11/21/11 i drove the truck 2 ups(4.5 miles) & my insurance which is another 1mile from ups and now the service engine soon light is on and its still bogging. from there i went 2 walmart bout 2.5 miles from my insur. comp. then home 5.5. later that nite i drove my daughters friend home and now the truck is sounding even funnier, by the next day on tuesday 11/22 i drove 2 the p.o.,library and gas station all within a 1/2 mile radius or so & since i was out i took the truck for a drive like the shop told me, nothing major just did an 8mile radius,the lights are still on & still bogging and now something even harder, called the shop they told me 2 bring it in so they can look hook it up. well when my husband got home from the valley i told him and we found oil all over my brand new engine and found out why it was running funny, the valve cover had been eaten through by the timing chain....now the shop is blaming the the engine shop that rebiult the engine and not themselves since they do the final checks on the engine and they put the engine/tranny and EVERYTHING BACK TOGETHER & INTO MY TRUCK......so does n e body have n e thing 2 say on this 1....
    Visitor, Lees Summit, MO, November 17, 2011 19:25
    Nice vehicle. I purchased the 2003 back in early 2004 with 14,000 miles. It has served me well thus far and I have recently registered 141,000 miles. I have not had any transmission problems or heating or AC issues until now. I would spring for another of the newer models in a couple of years based on my experience with this one so far.
    Visitor, Beecher, IL, November 12, 2011 17:43
    208759 miles, still kicking. Only had to replace the Trans.
    Visitor, Mission Viejo, CA, October 14, 2011 08:52
    Transmission had to be replaced at 13,500 under extended warranty and constant battles with 2 dealers and Ford, but finally admitted that tranny was faulty. Not so lucky next time....at 60,550 engine seized after timing chain broke and just after it passed 60,000 mile warranty. $7200 to replace engine. New engine runs better than original, but after reading other owners comments on V6, sounds like design problems. If buying a Ford, get an entended warranty!!
    Visitor, Old Saybrook, CT, October 05, 2011 06:41
    211,647 runs and runs
    Visitor, Lakeland, FL, September 27, 2011 14:35
    I brought my explorer new in sept. of 02. It has 45000 miles on it and it drives like a dream. everything works. the only problem i have is the glass part of the rear hatch is cracked right down the middle at the weld seam. I have contact ford to no avail. other than that, thats the only problem i have.
    Visitor, Ottoville, OH, August 29, 2011 13:28
    At 120,000 miles the car wouldn't start. I took to shop they tell me the entire engine needs replace. I have come to find 2004 Explorers are known for that. the engine is in short supply which will cost me over $4000.00 to repair. Shame on you Ford for not recalling these defective engines. My next car will be a Nissan!
    EddieE, Coloma, MI, August 28, 2011 16:09
    I purchased my 1997 Ford Explorer XLT, V8, AWD, Loaded with sunroof/moonroof, Leather seats, 6 disk CD changer, etc, etc on August 25, 2011. I got this truck at a steal from a guy my wife works with. No rust, no scratches on any of the interior and did I mention only 115,000 miles on it!!! The only problem Ive noticed my second day owning it is radiator fluid leaking on top of the engine, assuming its the water pump, but at the price I paid, the extra 300-500 bucks is worth it!!!
    Visitor, Baisden, WV, July 30, 2011 11:16
    2003 Explorer. Same problems with door sensors and cracked back hatch trim. Front balls joints are out at 120K miles.
    Visitor, Orange, NJ, July 14, 2011 20:46
    trying to get my car fix at a cheap price iam unemployed
    Visitor, Forsyth, GA, July 09, 2011 03:47
    wen cool in there morning when you crank
    Visitor, Binger, OK, July 03, 2011 12:54
    Had the Explorer over 5 years, NO Problems. Good running, quick, agile, good in bad weather. My wife's car; fits her to a T. Her second Explorer. A little tight for me, and impossible with my cowboy hat on.
    Visitor, Wasilla, AK, June 29, 2011 18:08
    Overall, I am most disappointed in the dealer. Ford themselves did not care that the vehicle has had problems from day one. And the dealer was more interested in blaming the problems on my driving habits. My pervious car had 428,000 original miles on it when I sold it. Bad driving habits? Doubtful! Pulls slightly to the right no matter the road surface from day one - dealer says I hit something, excessive front tire wear normal. Fresh air blend door frozen from day one - I never rode as passenger so I never felt the direct blast of cold air, was never able to keep the car really warm in winter - out of warranty when realized - tough luck. Heater blend door failed, stuck in cold position - happens to far too many explorers - no recall - tough luck. I complained of intermittent passenger window hesitations, they said nothing wrong, now none of the windows work - tough luck. A spot-weld on leading edge of the hood failed allowing corrosion under the paint, peeling spreading as corrosion spreads - it isn't a rust though so it's not covered. Next vehicle likely will not be a Ford - tough luck.
    Visitor, Wake Forest, NC, June 19, 2011 07:43
    Transmission died at 78K. Ac/heater door not working. Idles rough and starts rough. Heater door and Transmission issues should have been recalled!
    Visitor, Green Cove Springs, FL, June 13, 2011 06:28
    BIG TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS -- NO RECALL. SUSPENSION BAD -- HAVE TO REPLACE TIRES OFTEN. Great A/C!!! Comfortable interior!
    Visitor, Mayfield, KY, May 20, 2011 21:55
    MY NAME IS ARCHIE I HAVE A 1996 FORD EXPLORER EDDIE BAUER EDITION 4WD I BOUGHT LAST YEAR AND IT HAS 260,000 MILES AND STILL RUNNING A STRONG BULL I TRY TO GO 4X4 IN THE MUD WITH IT IN 4WD AND WENT THREW 3 MUD HOLES GOT STUCK PUT IT IN 4LOW CAM RIGHT OUT NOW BEFORE I BOUGHT THIS EXPLORER IT CAME FROM IND. TRANSFER CASE FLUID WAS BAD SO I FIGURE I GET EVER THING UPGRADE AND FLUIDS CHANGE AND GET THE CARBON OUT OF THE ENGIE SHE WILL GET MORE POWER
    whodeany1, Virginia Beach, VA, April 23, 2011 10:48
    I have had this car since it was new. It runs well and the only challenges are over zealous kids with doors and dumping drinks on the floor. If you treat the car right it will give you years of service. Its now over a hundred thousand miles heading for 200K. I'm sure it will make it with very few costs.
    Visitor, Roseville, MI, April 09, 2011 08:31
    We have had our 2002 ford Explorer for 8 years now and it's a great auto. The only problems we've had with our explorer is regular maintenance and wear and tear repairs. It an xlt with 4.0 6 cylinder
    Visitor, Sherwood, OR, February 20, 2011 18:23
    Nice SUV but, tranny is going to fault between 75.000 and 130.000 miles, door ajar switches are very low quality, seats air bags sensor faulty early 50.000 miles, rear liftgate trim gets crack and Ford no recall these problems.
    Visitor, Spartanburg, SC, February 14, 2011 16:55
    i bought my ford explorer in 2002 ithad 11miles on it when i drove it off the lot i paid it off last year and it has 67,000 miles on it all my windows has stop working the window siding has faded and it smell like eggs when i start it are drive it for a while and try to pick up speed thetrap door on the heater has broke so it just make a clicking noise when i try and turn on the heat where the door is trying to work so i have to pay $600 dollars to have that repaired due to the dash having to come off so they are going to go ahead and replace the heater core while in there cause it may go eventually. i have had the breaks replaced twice and it jerks if i press on the gas like the wheels are skipping are the engin one and that should not be happening with only 67,000 miles
    Visitor, Lake Hughes, CA, February 10, 2011 13:54
    I bought this Explorer Sport 4x4 new, in January,1993. It is a 5speed stick with manual 4x4 hubs, and has over 240,000 original miles. Still going strong with the original , untouched engine and transmission. Two radiators, two clutches, recalled rear door plungers, one windshield, three sets of front rotors, a leaking transmission, and leak at the intake manifold are all this Ford has required in it's life. It is still used for heavy off-road, and just last summer, pulled a 16 ft car trailer and 1972 Corvette over 1200 miles, with no problems (except a bit underpowered on the hills). Take care of the maintenance, and the car will take care of you.
    Visitor, Akron, AL, February 09, 2011 15:08
    just love my Explorer 2006 works perfectly no problems at all rides and handles well excellent car in the snow and ice here in Iceland it is driven 50.000 km and just needs new tyres .............
    Visitor, La Vergne, TN, January 31, 2011 11:18
    I have had my 02 Explorer for about 2 years, the only thing that I have experenced with mine is a little miss when entering onto the highway, other than that can't complain!!!
    TXCarBuff, Leander, TX, December 31, 2010 11:44
    I bought this SUV for it's towing capacity and the 4X4 and it really does great in these areas. It also drives well and has a comfortable ride for an SUV. Rear corner blind spots are an issue but can be overcome by adjusting the side view mirrors appropriately. High beams point too high so they are less effective than they could be. Brakes are a bit harder to use and don't have the feel of gripping the discs as much as I'd like. I've had this vehicle for over 2 years now and so far there have been no significant issues.
    Visitor, Shipshewana, IN, December 29, 2010 18:21
    i have only had my explorer for a few months but it has 197k miles and it runs pretty nice! It has a rough ide when i start it up and the ball joints are going bad but anyone know why my vheical might have a tough idle? it stops when it warms up.
    wstein99, Raleigh, NC, December 23, 2010 18:57
    This year was a lemon. Same experience as early poster and friend with same year. Tranny goes at 65k. Replace all bearing multiple, multiple times. All sorts of misc repairs (brake switch $250, rear window motor etc). . Ball joint also went. Ford should have recalled the tranny for sure. It's my 4th Ford...always try to buy American. I'll never buy Ford again. This year, 2002 specifically, was a complete piece of crap. Ask a Ford mechanic if you don't believe me.
    Visitor, Stroudsburg, PA, December 19, 2010 20:03
    $3500 tranny, replace bearing all four 2 time $1000 rack and pinon $1000 rear heater and ac dont work universal joint gtoing bad $600 tunup replace rotart all four twice 1000 dollars now my check egine light comes on window is sticking up and down in the cold and many more i just cant think of at the moment this car is a money pit peace of jumk and i would never ever by ford agian for reps are rude disrepectful and bad customer service
    Visitor, Walnut Grove, MS, November 29, 2010 11:34
    I have only had my 2006 Ford Explorer of 2 years. When I first got it everything was working fine. After the first three months, the heating and air conditioning when bad, in the middle of the winter season. The AC worked fine, but the heater only blow cold air. I took it to the dealer ship and got that fixed, problem: Bad Themostat. Then about six months I how a problem with a sensor that cause the engine to shut off and steering to tighten up, all while driving. Of course back to the dealer ship I went and got fixed. Okay to shorten this up, other problems I've had are: blowen head gasket caused a $4000 engine repair, and line for wiper fluid for back window broke, wiper fluid was would leak down through the roof the interior of the truck. All in all, DON'T BUY THIS **** TRUCK!!!
    Visitor, Pomona Park, FL, November 27, 2010 11:30
    I purchased my 2004 AWD V8 Eddie Bauer Explorer from a Ford dealership in Dec of 2006 with 35,240 miles on the odometer and while it has had minor issues, my real problems have not been with the Explorer, but with dealerships lying to me about TSB's. I've been to 4 different dealers with the same concerns and all 4 of them lied to me. I found my proof online for each concern and all were TSB's before I even bought the vehicle. One dealer even charged me a nearly $200.00 diagnostic fee(costing them any further business) after resetting my ABS light and telling me it needed a $370 throttle body(which is merely a piece of aluminum for engine air intake) because there is a TSB for that. There was no problem with the TB. I've had literally hundreds of these in my hands and I'm well aware of their function. If it isn't cracked, it isn't broken, although an attached sensor may be. It's still on the vehicle and still works as it did from the start, nearly 2yrs later. The engine runs like a good dream, having ample power and torque as well as being completely reliable. It has over 107,000 miles on it now and has never needed an engine repair of any sort.
    rhlandis, Omaha, NE, November 22, 2010 01:11
    I absolutely love my 94 Ford Explorer. The only thing, other than routine maintenance, that I have had to do to it was to replace the cheesy fiber lower intake manifold gasket. Do yourself a favor and use the metal one that Ford now offers. Although the 1st generation Explorer's have all the aerodynamics of a shoebox, Ford did a great job of blending style and function, with this rugged little utilitarian vehicle. It gets around in the snow like nobody's business, and has towed a good many sub compacts (and a few full sized 4X4s) out of assorted snowbanks. I was leery about "pushbutton" 4 wheel drive (never had one before), but I'm a fan now. She starts to spin a little, just push the button, 4X4 engages and off you go. She's not once left me sit. Take care of it, and it'll take care of you. I do, however, wish that the engine had a bit more power, but that's the only thing that I'd change about this well built, rugged and durable piece of equipment.
    dragos, Midvale, UT, November 20, 2010 22:08
    I bought My 99` explorer 3 years ago, and only put 7000 miles ontop of the 148000 that was already on it. At this point I`d say this vehicle is a great truck in all kinds of weather(rain, snow and sun). the only problem I`ve had is repeat CHECK ENGINE light comes on. When this happens I get code(s)PO171 andPO174,These are bank1 and bank2 running lean!. At this point I have replaced everything but the EGRsensor
    racingbrat58f, Lilburn, GA, November 19, 2010 12:10
    I bought my 97 Explorer 4WD in 2003 and wouldn't part with her for anything. She has 249k miles and runs excellent! The only thing I've had an issue with was an oil leak (from valves I think) and the new-style DPFE kept melting. I had the oil leak taken care of and put an original old-style metal DPFE on her and it's fine. Need to have ball joints replaced, but not an immediate need and I have to figure out what is causing a sound like a dog's growl.....when I'm just sitting, idling, no A/C on, there's a low growling sound that comes from the back half of the truck (sound only lasts for a few seconds each time). All of my regular maintenance (except oil changes) I've done myself (just a sidenote: I'm 39 years old, widowed mom of 4 - if I can do it, anyone can do it! LOL) - tuneup is relatively easy, sparkplugs are a pain (but aren't they always?), and I'm doing my brakes for the first time tomorrow (thank God for google and youtube!). The interior is cloth, has held up great! Oh! I have had a light in my dash out since I bought it....it's dark over where the gas gauge is but lit up fine everywhere else - I've checked all the fuses and everything is fine. I'm not excited about pulling apart my dash so I've just dealt with it. I would like to get better gas mileage - mine is 6 cyl, 4WD and gets about 15/18. Any suggestions would be great! :) The bottom line is I love my truck! Even when cash for clunkers came around, I couldn't part with her! I may buy something to drive more often and give her a break, but I can't give her up!! Oh, and she's great for towing and off-road!! :)
    Visitor, Carlsbad, NM, November 05, 2010 09:55
    We purchased this Explorer about 4 years ago. It has operated great. Good Milage and ride. The only issues we have found are. -- Heater blend door. This is a known problem with ALL these vehicles. the fix can be upto $1000 at the dealer. DIYers can get it done in your drive for $160 in parts. -- Rear hatch body panel cracked. A known issue. Only cosmetic. -- Suspension arm ball joints have completly lost their rubber. This seems a little soon for a failyre in these parts. Overall a very nice vehicle.
    Scorpionsxxxl, Fleetwood, PA, October 30, 2010 11:23
    I've owned this vehicle from 2007 to 2010 it had 98,000 miles on it when I purchased it. I've replaced trans.,replaced exhaust,replaced brakes,replace heater coer,replaced water pump,Replaced head gasket.It has rust at right rear door.
    Customized 2005 Explorer, Woodbridge, VA, October 29, 2010 19:43
    Great vehicle because of its mid size but large towing capability up to 7700 lbs. My silver Explorer also lent itself well to chrome interior and exterior customization. Non mileage scheduled maintanence issues are mostly non existant. Ford did a great job on this vehicle.
    Visitor, Richton Park, IL, October 27, 2010 19:09
    I bought my 1997 Ford Explorer used at 18,300 miles in 1999. Ten years later and over 174,000 my engine is still kicking. The body is in great condition. Everything is still working, CD player, heating and air. I LOVE MY TRUCK!!!
    Visitor, Chino Hills, CA, October 23, 2010 19:09
    2005 explorer bought it new, i now have 196k... great vehicle. transmission slipping a bit, had dealer add service issue additive, got better.
    Visitor, Newton, NC, September 17, 2010 12:07
    03 ford explorer 190,000+ miles on it, runs great. AC compressor just blew estimated cost of 1200 dollars... the front hubs had to be replaced. alternator had to be replaced around 160,000mi.
    Visitor, Cincinnati, OH, August 22, 2010 06:06
    I bought a used 2002 Ford Explorer XLS about 4 years ago with about 60,000 miles on it. Ran fine for about a year, needed a new battery in that time which is fine. After that year the truck needed heavy fixing. I had to replace the wheel bearings 3 times on the rear, heater blend door-my god that was expensive, window actuators, the window washer fluid pump, and fuel pump. I had to call a tow truck 4 times because I would be left stranded at work. Unfortunately the truck is now having transmission problems, the gear are slipping and have had different mechanics tell me the tranny is on its last legs. When the truck did work properly I liked it. I liked the spaciousness and handled fine and was comfortable on short trips. I won't complain about the gas mileage as I knew it going in buying the truck. I usually put about 9,000 miles on it a year and 99% of it is highway driving and I don't beat on it. I wish it did last longer and was more reliable. I spent about half of what I bought the truck for in just repairs.
    Visitor, Hanceville, AL, August 20, 2010 15:28
    THe 2006 model explorer has issues with faulty radiators and throttle bodies. I have had to have 2 radiators replaced at only 57,000 miles. Now the "wrench light is on. I was told is was probably a bad throttle body. The car has around 58,000 miles. Would not buy another.
    Visitor, Frazee, MN, August 07, 2010 10:18
    My Mom bought my 91 explorer used in 95. when she bought her 04 f150 she just let the explorer sit so i took it upon myself to start toying with it. As of now it has 347000k on it. i replaced the transmission at 345000k so i would say its pulled its weight because it is still driving strong and i hope it always will.
    Visitor, Woodland, WA, July 27, 2010 14:40
    i have a 92 4x4 explorer, and it runs like a champ...i couldnt tell ya how many full size 4 wheel drives ive pulled out of the snow and mud...awesome truck.
    cbach1997, Brea, CA, July 25, 2010 13:43
    Parents bought the car when I graduated 6th grade and gave it to me end of college. Had 94,000 at that time (brand new when they got it), and now has 224,000. Still going strong all around almost 20 years later! Changed the transmission for the first time at 166,000 miles. Was having a hard time getting from 1st to 2nd. Clutch plates all worn out. Got a rebuilt from Ford, and they damaged the replacement by not securing the vaccuum line, so I got a third one week later. No problems since. Does not under most scenarios like to rev, shifts earlier then 4,000 even under moderate to heavy load, which is okay since the girl doesn't make much power at the top end anymore. Awesome torque off the line to 3,000, so is very drivable even with a load through anything. Very comfortable to drive, even cross country for hours and hours at a time. TONS of space throughout, front and back. They don't make cars this spacious anymore, the newer ones even with similar wheelbases push the engine further back and the dashboard with it, infringing on interior space in all sorts of ways. I put a Flowmaster 40 series two chamber exhaust and racing cats with 2.5" stainless steel pipe. Saw much more power, easier to get up hills, and my mileage every tank is 17.5 or higher with lots of city. Cross country avg with the air on was 21, which for an oldie pushrod is I think impressive, kept the avg at 72. Any more and kiss your mileage goodbye. It's not built for speed, both in the gearing and the aerodynamics. Original engine, had the timing chain replaced around 160,000. Flywheel done at same time due to damage from multiple bad starters. Noisy power steering pump plagues all Fords from this era. Makes a mess under the hood - fluid leaks through the cap if you turn the wheels while the engine's not running for instance. Somehow since the beginning there's been a leak in the reserve radiator fluid tank, but I can't find any fluid in the driveway or in the bay. Put fluid in, it's gone within a month. Leave it alone and the radiator's still full, so nothing wrong there or with those hoses... Original R-12 A/C was never impressive, replaced with an all new R-134 setup in 2000, works like a champ now. Just recently had to have my rear wheel cylinders (brake fluid regulator for the shoes) replaced for possibly the first time. Ride is never supple, it's a truck, but it is smooth enough to not be punishing. New shocks never seem to last, but the wheels don't hop at speed, and control is surprisingly good when pushing the car hard on asphault. Body lean is noticeable, but predictable. Springs are tough as nails and still don't bottom out when pushed off-road. Electrical in the car's been solid, no sensor failures I can recall. I have platinum +4 Bosch spark plugs and 8mm wire in there, which seemed to make a minor difference in idling and they generally last longer. Replaced all fuel injectors and saw no difference in performance, changed at 120,000 miles, was an expensive decision. Leather inside of course cracks and needs replacing in multiple areas, has not been cared for as it should be. What pieces I've replaced so far have held up well. Driver window regulator and rear window regulator both failed within a couple years of each other. Expensive to fix. Multiple door lock and window switch contacts rusted out, simple to fix. Wiper fob internal contacts also corroded and was replaced. Intermittent setting wasn't working reliably. Rear wiper motor now gets stuck when first used if it's been a while since last tried. Motor for years has also had lifter noise when cold or extremely hot and under a load. Am told not to worry and the power's still there. I just baby it any time I can during these times. I change the oil every 3,000 miles with non synthetic 10w40. Used 20w50 for a few years while replacing every worn gasket under the sun (CA eats those things up). Rear main twice, intake manifold, oil pan, both valve covers, and something else. Brakes don't last long in the front if you tow, rear is only drum, so the fronts get the short end of the stick and they have a lot of steel to stop. Rear diff supposedly only needs fluid changed every 100,000 miles, I do it more frequently, no real rhyme or reason. Interior has on the whole held up well, some pieces are rattling now naturally and the panels in some cases are missing small trim pieces which aren't deal breakers. Not ever enough time for me to get to the junkyard looking for replacement pieces. Steering wheel last year had the button for Cruise ON fall out, I have to use a small screwdriver now to push the recessed contact. It's never left us stranded anywhere, has been everywhere, sounds great, can take any load (huge cargo capacity and all the right dimensions), and is easy to work on. I love it very much, and hope to hold onto it as long as it still keeps running!
    Visitor, Grand Junction, CO, July 20, 2010 15:53
    PCM fuse keeps blowing...first time while under warranty but they didn't document it under warranty, now that we are over warranty by 4000 miles, it happened again and they said the whole wiring harness was melted and would cost $1800 to fix....
    Visitor, Somerset, NJ, July 15, 2010 07:16
    Our 2006 Explorer has been trouble-free since we bought it new. It will soon have 60k miles on it. The OEM tires may need to be replaced soon, and I have to bring it in to the dealer to address the shift-linkage recall campaign. Other than that, hope to continue the good luck we've had with it! Cheers....
    ARIZONARIC, Santee, CA, July 03, 2010 15:31
    5 stars on all the above
    Visitor, San Juan, PR, July 02, 2010 22:10
    it went from my aunt to my gramps to my dad and now to me and its still working. problem with the fuel pump and transmission but overall a good car =]
  • 2007 Ford Explorer
    Visitor, Kaufman, TX, July 02, 2010 18:14
    Had to replace aluminum heater lines after the lines rubbed together and formed a hole causing all water and coolant to leak out and overheat the engine. Out of warranty only 188 miles but repairs cost over $500. Metal bar under passenger seat broke about the same time. At 64,000 miles, A/C line rubbed up against frame and made a hole so all coolant leaked out. Line and coolant had to be replaced as well as actuator and orifice tube. Parts alone cost approx. $350. This is the first, and ONLY, Ford I will ever own! Sorely disappointed in the car and Ford itself!
    Visitor, Norwalk, CA, June 29, 2010 16:35
    I purchased my 1996 Explorer in 2003 and I've been happily driving it ever since. I've had to replace the transmission on it and thats the only major work I've had to do. With regular maintenance this car has lasted through a daily work commute, a trip to and from Mexico City from Los Angeles, CA, hauling, and whatever I need it for. It now has over 280,000 miles on it and still runs like a champ! I LOVE this car and wouldn't part with it for a bit!
    Visitor, Knoxville, TN, June 02, 2010 19:59
    i bought a 93 eddie bauer 2 dr great suv overall but it had 167000 on it, i have rebuilt than tranny but that was at around 170*** had the break pads done at the same time now i am doing them again at 198*** the valve covers are starting to leak but that is at almost 200*** engine is still very strong
    Visitor, Lancaster, OH, May 11, 2010 09:21
    Well, I bought my 1997 Explorer in 2001. Since then I have replaced 3 transfer cases!!, Two front Drive shafts, New Fuel Pump, air compressor condenser thing(A/C issues), The actuator motor broke that opens and closes door for air flow(A/C issue), Fan clutch replaced, second set of rotors..oh, and my favorite...a new engine!!! I love my truck!!
    Visitor, Santa Monica, CA, May 05, 2010 23:04
    This is my third Explorer, and I've had it for 7 1/2 years now. It's the best one so far, the paint has stayed put, which was a problem for my frist one, and the AC hasn't had as many problems as my second one (although it is a weak point and I have had some repairs). Overall. a great car. Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'. Plus it looks great, classic body style, still proud to drive her.
    Visitor, Rutherfordton, NC, May 04, 2010 17:20
    Great vehicle love ford products!! Bought it with 12k mile now have 45k no problems at all. So much better than any japanese car. very solid
    Visitor, Winchester, KY, May 04, 2010 06:47
    I HATE this truck!!! My husband has owned one since 2006 when he purchased it used and since then we have put about $4500 into it for repairs! All 4 window regulators broke ( of course in the middle of winter with the window stuck down about 3-4 days apart from each other!), the engine rattles really bad when you get up to about 35 mph and we were told that would be another $2500 to fix, the rear air conditioner doesn't work and makes a loud thumping noise the whole time you're driving, we spent $1500 last summer fixing the rear end because it was about to fall out, the transmission jumps real bad when it switches gears, and now the radiator is busted! I don't understand why it's such a piece of junk... When we bought it, it had 80,000 miles and now it has 112,000 which I don't think is too bad but this truck is nothing but a money pitt! It's terrible on gas mileage and with all the problems we have had out of it I would not recommend it to anyone! I used to own a 99 mercury cougar and it was a piece of crap too! I will never own another vehicle made by ford! Buyer beware if you buy a used 2002 ford explorer!
    andrewstuder, Sacramento, CA, May 03, 2010 09:12
    My first new car. Love it, still going strong. No repairs to date other than a fuse for overhead light. I should take it in to see if the rear wiper can be fixed, it doesn't clean the window very well and I bent it trying to fix it myself. 120K!
    Visitor, Chicago, IL, April 22, 2010 23:53
    ok
    Visitor, Oregon, WI, April 22, 2010 19:06
    I bought a used 2002 explorer XLT with 68000 miles on it and now have 104000. In that 36000 miles driven, I've had to replace the 4x4module, 2 different bearings, a heater switch, replace wiring for power windows, and the grand finale; the FRIGGIN MOTOR!!!! Plus I've had issues with the 4x4 engaging when it shouldn't be. I hate this truck, but am now upside down with it, and can't get rid of it. My advice, DON'T BUY A FORD EXPLORER!!!
  • 2001 Ford Explorer
    bleueyez, Beaumont, CA, March 18, 2010 19:41
    I love this car. The reliability and dependability are without a doubt the best characteristics of this make and model. Gas milage isn't great, 19mpg (everywhere) if you don't put your foot in it to often. Brakes (though they were totally replaced before I purchased it) the best but don't make any sudden moves it will flip. Lights always work (all of them) smoging isn't a problem. I have had to replace the back gate locking system but only once and no problem since. Air is the best and not to hard on the milage. I have had this car 4 years and still love it.
    SpoExplorer, Spokane, WA, March 14, 2010 20:56
    I've owned this previously one owner vehicle for almost a year and have to say that it is solid, quiet and dependable. At 64000 (this weekend) I replaced the front shocks / struts. Had to take the upper ball jt loose along with the stabilizer link to get the assembly back into place. All went well basically and decided to replace the front pads (about 1/3 left) since I had it on my hoist. Easiest brake pad replacement job I'd ever done. Paint is exceptionally nice (Stone and cream), leather interior is fine but leather un-cared for cracks, face it. I condition mine about everyother month to keep it supple. Rear door speaker "blew" so replaced both with Kenwoods, great sound from the Audiophile system ....... and no problems like some others state. To the guy that had difficulties getting his door panel off, get a Haynes manual for God's sake! EZ instructions for about everything you need to do and has torque specs when you need them. I maintain my vehicles regularly and make sure minor stuff gets fixed right away so that it keeps the major problems from ever occuring. What I do not like is the miserable 14.3 MPG around town with this 4.0 V6! I got rid of my 04 Supercrew with the 5.4 V8 when gas went to $4. gal. Sadly that got better mileage (14.7 -15.3 in town) around town and was the absolute most versatile vehicle I've ever owned out of 71. The other minor irritant is the drive by wire "lag" as you turn a corner then apply the gas ...... that lag is irritating but an inheritant issue with drive by wire. It is NOT a transmission or engine control issue as I read someone advised an owner in the Q & A section. Finally, I agree with the guy that had owned Range Rovers and said that once you get past your image issues, this is a great, dependable vehicle all around....... and thousands less.
    wombat, West Milford, NJ, March 03, 2010 11:31
    lots of problems with sensors, always has to have diagnostics run at $400 a pop, before ford will repair anything, this is a model NOT TO BUY, unless you have lots of money every time the sensors screw up, so far 5 have gone on this, because it is over the mileage ford are not interested, minimum i have had to spend on each repair is over $1500, but i give credit it is a dream to drive and comfortable when driving cross country, just so dam expensive to repair.
    BobZ, Needham, MA, February 28, 2010 08:19
    I bought the SUV used at 68000. It now has 90000. Had the manifold replaced and some tie rod work. The a/c will need correction this summer ('10) as well as the fan switch. The SUV rides like a truck - typically bumpy, but the AWD is fantastic - never had a problem getting through snow or sleet. The power steering requires high effort, but tracks straight. I've had the SUV for 5 years now and it runs great. No engine/tran problems. All electrics work fine (except as noted.) Body has no rust.
    Z-man 2010, Littleton, CO, February 07, 2010 10:25
    Like this SUV a lot. Have owned a 1994 Ford Explorer and love that the quality is back, which is why Ford really seams to be the only competition for the Japanese. Owned Ford, Toyota, Honda, Infiniti, Nissan. Was pleasantly surprised at the look, feel and drive of the 02 Explorer. Still own it and have very little done to it. Sensor replaced a couple of years ago, brakes are actually good. I owned the Ford Explorer Sport Trac, which seems to blow through the pads and rotors. Learned how to replace brakes and save money quickly. New problem with this XLT on Overdrive flashing driving in the mountains of Colorado on the highway. Might be a sensor, could be worse. Only other problem I have had is the back air control makes a clicking sound if you work controls in the second control panel. Couple hundred dollars for a piece of plastic, or control it with the front one.
  • 1995 Ford Explorer
    jason2sweet, Springfield, OH, January 09, 2010 13:52
    does good
    deadhalk, Saginaw, MI, December 06, 2009 22:15
    I have a 94 Explorer XLT with about 181,000 miles. As soon as I bought it, I had to replace the water pump, and replace the brakes. The U-joints need to be replaced and the ball joints, and the tie rods, and the shocks, I plan on putting a 3" lift on it, and re-due the body, but I have a lot of time to make it look better. I bought new tires for it for the winter and I love the way it looks. I think that it will make a great mud and deep snow toy. The Good Year Dura Trac is a good buy. I really hope that with the time and money I plan to put in this SUV is going to be worth it. I hope.
    smokey65, Tamaqua, PA, November 24, 2009 16:44
    Humm where to start with problems? thermostate off the dealers lot, both front bearing/hub assembles, (not at once either ford refused to do both at once since it was under warranty they were done a week apart) rear bearings (bolt on the spider broke while changing bearings so new axle) all doors are closed, slammed shut and door ajar light still one ended up pulling both dome lights out, Save people the hassle don't buy a exploder, i mean explorer
    nickell, Greensboro, NC, November 18, 2009 07:13
    66k miles and only oil changes. Besides the poor fuel efficiency, this car is great. Good acceleration, smooth ride. I do get the false 4X4 engagement described in one of the TSBs when I make sharp turns at low speeds, but not a big deal. Bought the leather seats, which was a mistake. Had two of them replaced under warranty after about 6 months. Car is 4 years old now and they are all cracking.
    sic102, Irvine, CA, October 13, 2009 20:15
    Bought new in July 2005, currently has 62,000 miles. Apart from oil changes, still on original tires (which need replacing), rear left passenger window and rear windshield wiper no longer worker. Oh, and the CD palyer has been jammed for 6 months. Electrics are clearly not this car's strong points. Other than that, love this car...
    gene978, Fitchburg, MA, September 15, 2009 05:42
    Bought this car in 2002 from a dealer. She had 50K on her. She now has 80k and I must say has been trouble free driving. Had to have the A/C charged and the thermostat changed and the factory radio was replaced under warranty. Other then that oil changes. Period!
    Aysha2412, Miami, FL, August 28, 2009 21:01
    I've had my Explorer for 10 years now,it had 7 miles when I brought it and now I have 222,652 miles. Beside the 3 recalls, the hood, the seatbelt and the tires I must say I've had no major problems until now (Engine oil pump)and I'm not going to complain. Thumbs up to Ford!
    tcoxboy, Loris, SC, August 21, 2009 05:51
    Love it
    GZilla, Vacaville, CA, July 25, 2009 08:55
    I purchased mine used with 117K on it. I have never owned a Ford SUV. This one handles better than my 1996 Blazer. It was well maintained by the previous owner. The brakes are excellent, the suspension and steering impressed me a lot. It is roomy. At 117K, it is smooth when driving and very quiet.
    Elkhorse, Monument, CO, July 24, 2009 18:00
    I've had three Explorers (1998, 2000, and this 2005) and three Range Rovers (1999, 2000, and 2003). All Rovers have sucked reliability-wise, and the Explorers have been more reliable - plus the 2005 Explorer incorporates a lot of RR features except is more reliable. Sure, the Rover is a Rover with all its panache' but once you get past that status symbol phase in your life, the Explorer is your steady companion.
    Lacoy, Pittsburg, NH, July 23, 2009 06:38
    Bought my 2006 explorer 6 months ago 37000 miles on it.The engine hesitates at 55 MPH and I hear a buzzing noise when engine shifts,possibly a loose heatshield.Replaced spark plugs also PCV valve which is heated (5hrs to change PVC)No check engine light so tech.can,t fix. NO MORE FORDS
    z32royale13, Greensboro, NC, July 22, 2009 07:55
    Bought the 2000 Explorer with 75,000 miles in '05 (was formerly a Company vehicle). I have 250,000 miles on it now. I have replaced the following ONE TIME - spark plugs and wires, fuel filter, upper and lower intake gaskets, belt, thermostat, mass air flow sensor, a few miscellaneous valves and hoses, rear end racers and bearings, front wheel bearings, internal timing cassette, lower ball joints, front driverside window motor, and actuators. I stripped the radio and speakers and put my own in because I wanted to. Keeping in mind of course this is in addition to regular maintenance (air filters, oil changes, brakes, and tires). Not bad for 40,000 miles a year - 90% highway. In my opinion at least.
    ARTiger, Jonesboro, AR, July 13, 2009 06:40
    Tranny, differentials and A/C system are problems on this vehicle.
    teacherkim, Magnolia, TX, July 06, 2009 03:35
    Bought brand new in Dec. 1991. Only problem have been with A/C. Still driving it with 130,000.
    explorerranger, New Virginia, IA, June 26, 2009 05:21
    good overhall
  • 2001 Ford Explorer
    gpawpcola, Pensacola, FL, May 27, 2009 16:56
    had to replace the swithch on the master cylinder due to a recall for possible fire hazard. had to repace the fuel pump-mechanic said it was because i ran the gas level in the tank get to low to often-evidently the gas cools the pump. had to replace the back window wiper twice, the cd player doesn't work and it has five cd's stuci in it.the left front wheel cylinder quit working causing the left disc brake to wear out prematurely. vacuum line hose on the engine broke causing the engine to run roughly. replaced the windshield wiper switch on the column.
    skillernj, Skillman, NJ, May 25, 2009 07:44
    Bought the new 2002 design when it first came out. Had a 1996 Explorer before that and loved it except that I replaced the fuel float twice. On my 2002 - I only drive about 10000 miles per year, combination back roads and light highway. So far - I have a problem with differential - when it "goes" it will be expensive. My rear windshield wiper crapped out within the first 2-3 years. My driver's side window quit in 2008. I couldn't get the door apart easily to repair it so kept putting it off until one day I got in the car, turned on the engine and smelled something odd. Traced it to an electrical fire type smell near the window switch - then saw smoke - and that was with the ignitiion OFF! Got that door panel apart really fast after that as I wasn't worrying about any damage. Glad I was in the driveway. Replaced the switch myself and all is well, but hard to get the door panel back together. Also having a problem with "dim" dash lighting. Figuring all this is pointing to some horribly expensive electrical problem. Oh yeah, something started going wrong with engagine in and out of 4WD pretty early in the game. Ford builds trucks so you would think they's be good at the 4wd. I really liked my former Explorer and this one is just right size-wise, but come on, can we get rid of these design and engineering problems please? Why do cars have to be so draining to own? I like my Explorer, except for the probs, but would prefer to love it!
    90049er, Los Angeles, CA, April 28, 2009 21:16
    I've owned a 1998 Sport (2WD) for 11 years. Its got over 100,000 miles and been a great car. We had one right at 40,000 miles - motor on drivers seat was one. But this car goes and goes with a little preventive maintenance. Its probably been 5 years since I had to go to get anything broken fixed on it. Some small plastic pieces are having troubles but, hey, its 11 years old. WAY WAY WAY more reliable than my Mercedes.
    CTB, Goshen, VA, April 20, 2009 15:06
    Have 55000 miles on Explorer. Engine light has been on 3 times. Over two thousand dollars spent to repair the engine light problems. If your engine light comes on, take it for a check-up ASAP. Ford could have done much better on the design of the panel. If the car was driven to work 5 days per week I would have sold it long ago. My wife works a few hours a week and is pretty much its only driver. You know, she wouldn't part with it. She loves that SUV.
    shag, Maysville, KY, April 15, 2009 13:37
    Ihave had my explorer for 7 years and my truck is still running very good. I`m starting to feel a little transmission slippage,but i have about 160,000 miles on it.
    babygirl017, Arlington, VA, March 15, 2009 08:01
    I have a ford explor limited adition and I love it! It has 163,000miles on it on it and the most trouble I have with it is keep replacing bearings. My radio fads in and out, and sunroof stopped working, and heated seats on driver side. To me this is a normal stuff considering the yr. Other then that I love it and very glad I made my choice. I bought cash froma dealer in Pa e-burg. paid 9,000 for it back in 2003. I was wondering to can I have my bearing just repaired instead of replacing? I failed inspection because of the bearing, and muffler needs repairing (normal wear, rusted) and they said something about my head lights needing ajusting...never heard of that. I figure I just get new ones since I have never had'em replaced in the first place. Also my new tires in 2005, should I get new ones? Cost so much to get four tires!! I live in Va Crystal City so I do not drive it much just to gorcery store and once a month maybe up to PA n Jersey. Other then that it sites in underground parking and I just start it up every now and again. Sometimes I drive around town just to get motor going a bit.
    murraye, Vincennes, IN, January 29, 2009 17:21
    Alright to start off with I bought this at a buy there pay here place. It was the only thing I could get at the time for my needs...Well it had 183000 miles on it when I got it. I had to fix something every couple of miles and then 6 months later I was driving down the highway from work during an ICE STORM. Worried not to crash and tried to see if I could stop on the road before the interestion and what happens? I CAN GO ANYWHERE, not foward, or backwards. I was stuck in the middle lane with my blinkers on. Thankfully after sitting there for 30 min a man asked me if I would like to be pushed into a parking lot near buy. Since I had called 911 and said a lot of 911 calls were being made and that someone would be there when they could. So then 15 min after I was in the parking lot the police man came and I asked for a tow truck company number. This happened at midnight I got home at 3:00 am. So do not buy a used 1994 Ford Explorer for my experience has not been so great.
    Sheilah, Jasper, IN, January 08, 2009 16:20
    I bought my Ford 2 years ago. Love it. Except..when it desides it dosen't want to start, mainly in cold weather. It does not turn over,nothing. I would just like to know what the problem is
    kENT, Ann Arbor, MI, December 14, 2008 12:19
    2002 Explorer- 6 cyl. Bought the car new in 2002. Now have 106500 miles on it. 4 wheel Auto not working but manual low 4 wheel drive does. Replaced breaks and tires around 80,000. also had to replace wheel bearings and differential seal. at various times. Have an "annoyance" with the gas gage working intermittently in cold weather. Still love to drive it! Gas milage is about 22 MPG.
    hemicuda, South San Francisco, CA, December 08, 2008 13:23
    We bought this Ford explorer new in 1996 after looking at Nissan pathfinder and Toyota 4 Runner we decided the explorer because of the 302 V8 engine, with 182,000 miles on it, still runs strong and looks good. The engine , brakes, transmission are holding up well.
    spur, Huntsville, AL, December 01, 2008 18:59
    I've had my Explorer for 15 years and it currently has over 276,000 miles. It still runs great. Got to say that I've gotten my money's worth out of this one!
    mhartley, Irvine, CA, October 24, 2008 13:31
    I have had my explorer for 2 years now. It is an older car, but it still looks and drives great. A Ford still running at 135,000 miles. I bet it will make it to 200,000.