Reviews for Nissan Maxima years:

Nissan Maxima Reviews and Owner Comments

Nissan MaximaOwner Reviews (107 reviews)
    Visitor, Phoenix, AZ, September 19, 2014 01:58
    I have a 99 the I just got 2 months age- and without complaining to much IT is nothing like my 94 was- did i mention i havent drove it in the last 7 weeks? Has an electrical issue that I haven't been able to trace- sitting at a red light It lost all power- and after replacing the battery- alternator and the ignition switch- still have a sun roof stuck open, no power windows, locks, dash lights, ac, alarm, or door chime! I think its the littlest MAXIMA they ever made- have had all coils replaced and it has horrible gas mileage- but whatever
    Visitor, Oviedo, FL, July 18, 2014 06:06
    2nd owner. Overall car is great. The engine light has been on since I have owned it. All issues are with emissions (Sensors and Catalytic Converter). Everything else works fine. Slight issue with tranny going from 1st to 2nd. I think I need to replace tranny fluid. I would recommend. Gas mileage not to good (19 to 22 mpg).
  • 2013 Nissan Maxima
    Visitor, Mandeville, LA, May 21, 2014 16:17
    I just finished my arbitration meeting with BBB auto line and Nissan arbitration specialists. If anyone is having their so called premium leathers seats ripping as you enter either seat please email me damcgees@bellsouth.net I lost the case because at this time my car is only 10 months old with a total of 3 repairs to the front driver's seat and passenger's seat, according to the lemon law, one has to have a total of 4 repairs with the same problem within a year and warranty is guaranteed. HOWEVER Nissan Corp. will not repair my front leather seats anymore. Nissan Corp. is telling me, I am ripping the seats as I enter the seat and because of my buttons on my rear pockets (jeans, shorts, etc). I have a white Nissan Maxima (2013), and tan leather seats ,listed price $38k with only 25 miles at time of delivery. With the first 1,596 miles, the seats started ripping (both front seats) then about 2207 miles, and now 3153 miles. I currently have 4050 miles and its only 10 months old. I do not drive this car daily and only 2 occasions someone used rear seats. (reason for low miles) If anyone out there, in any state having the same issues please e-mail - damcgees@bellsouth.net thanks for reading my story
    Visitor, Minneapolis, MN, February 24, 2014 18:39
    Purchased new 2001 Nissan Maxima GLE. Now has 143,000 miles. Normal maintenance only. Replaced battery, rebuilt alternator, had transmission and radiator flushed twice Excellent runner, great handling car. No rust, no dings and good mileage. Very responsive and fast off the green light. Has plenty of power.
    Visitor, Reno, OH, February 09, 2014 08:36
    Thanks for these helpful reviews. I don't own one, but was looking at buying one since my older Nissan was so reliable. Now I understand that Nissan is owned by Renault and uses Renault parts and supply chain solutions. Knowing how unreliable Renaults have been, makes me not want to come near a Nissan. Everywhere I read, people complain about how these "post-Renault" nissans become "money-pits". That's something I can live without. Thanks everyone for the heads up.
    Visitor, Dallas, TX, January 16, 2014 07:28
    My 2006 Nissan Maxima is on it's third transmission at 80,000 miles and has had strut work on right side and need more. On top of that it has a bad power steering leak. Do not buy a MAXIMA unless you want some problems!
    Visitor, Florence, SC, December 28, 2013 01:00
    AC SUCKS " ENGINE OVERHEATS WHEN STALLED
  • 2012 Nissan Maxima
    Visitor, Sterling, IL, December 10, 2013 19:06
    SV model with panoramic roof. Awesome Car every expectation has been met and more. Little high on window sticker at first but every penny worth it for a luxury sports sedan.
  • 2013 Nissan Maxima
    Visitor, Sewell, NJ, November 03, 2013 10:23
    I am leasing a 2013 Maxima SV - I absolutely love the car. I typically buy coupes and avoid pony/muscle cars because their size, bulk and higher insurance premiums. What impressed me with this car was it's handling, build quality and style. I do wish I got the NAV package and the SPORT package. Many people will say lower priced cars are available with more standard options - and this is absolutely true. I can't believe I'd have to upgrade to the NAV package just for a better media interface, including touch-screen and blue tooth media streaming. $40k car and the memory seat settings were available, however, not included. My V6 EX-L Honda Accord, which cost $10k less included a telescoping steering wheel and memory seats. But... Nissan was anything but cheap with his vehicle and that is evident as soon as you push the button (turn the key - there is no key!) and drive the car. The quality is top class and on-par with high end REAL luxury autos like BMW, M-benz, Infinity, etc. The car's engineering, design and quality is out of this world - and that's something that many people fail to consider or appreciate now that there are many cars that cost half the price that look just as nice and come standard with amenities that make people's head spin because they've never had them before. Two quirks - and only two - about this car. The driver's left foot-rest is cheap vinyl - why not a solid block of hard rubber like Honda? The emergency/parking brake is foot activated - why not on the console or electric activated? I'd buy another one - without even thinking - and I probably will. Next time it'll be FULLY loaded.
  • 2011 Nissan Maxima
    Visitor, Columbus, GA, August 23, 2013 19:27
    we have had to jump start our 2011 Maxima eleven times since we bought it brand new from Headquarters Nissan in Columbus, GA. They replaced the battery in Jan. of 2012. after more, jump starting they replaced the battery again in August 2013. They insist it is the battery. I don't think so.
    Visitor, Atlanta, GA, July 19, 2013 13:00
    I have owned toyota and honda predominately throughout my life and last year bought an 06 maxima. This past year has been the least amount of trouble I have ever had with a car. It is much more durable and gets better gas mileage, I know because I check. IF you treat a nissan right, it will run forever. If you abuse it, it will break down. I won't ever buy a honda or toyota again.
  • 2012 Nissan Maxima
    Visitor, Ferriday, LA, July 13, 2013 17:47
    This is a very expensive hot automobile ever built car company called Nissan. I have owned my Maxima less than one year have to say that im enjoying right in 2013 with great performance and best quality of a very luxurious sporty vehicle. This was the car for me i love this car and it's my 3rd Nissan owned ever sense 1998 when bought a used 1997 Altima than 11 years later got my brand new 2007 Altima off showroom floor smack brand new. Now im driving the Maxima from last year Nissan really done a great job on upgraded this car that was remodeled back in 2009 now three years later it has improved more very great job Nissan. Im not trading this baby til she can't take anymore of serving me on the highway and hauling family and friends to where ever they need to go. Best car ever owned this is my favorite most luxury vehicle no need to stress myself out buying a BMW, Jaguar, Audi, Acura and Lexus where this cheaper manufacturer brand that made a flagship sedan that carries all my needs priced is right for me with lots of luxurious in its class. From Bose to most comfortable interior and smooth ride is fine with me. The styling and durability on this car absolutely wonderful I just love this luxurious car on wheels been a excellent blessing buying this car.
  • 2003 Nissan Maxima
    take it to the max, Dallas, TX, January 05, 2013 07:37
    This car was purchased in october, '12 with 178k miles on it. I had never owned a nissan(car or truck) in all my 32 years of driving but, I'd heard so much about this maxima's V6 engine(voted best engine 8 years in a row)that I thought I make the change from Toyota---most reliable cars and trucks I've owned to date. It being used with so many miles on it, i figured a few maintenance issues might need attention, but I didn't expect so much at one time. In these three months, I've replaced the spark plugs, brakes and rotors, interior/exterior lightbulbs, oil and air filters, and made some cosmetic improvements. However, the car still needs new shocks, theirs an oil leak, and makes a rub sound each time I turn left for the 1st time after starting the car. I have to stop and restart the car again for it to make that sound again after turning left and it won't make it again while being drivin. The '03 Toyota Tundra, V6/5-speed, also has 168k miles on it but all I've done to it is regular maintenance since buying it at 32k miles. It's been the best vehicle I've owned to date in terms of reliability and low upkeep. But the Maxima is the most fun to drive I've owned. I hope that after I've 'bought it up to speed on maintanence, it will provide me with another 200k miles of trouble-free driving, but as of now the jury is still out. My only regret is not buying a maxima with less miles on it or that was upkept better. Other than that it is a the best looking car and has an engine that purrs and I can't wait to take a trip to California in it.
    Visitor, Bedford, PA, December 26, 2012 19:18
    i have been a nissan owner since 1988. irelaced my 1988 stanza in 2001 with a new maxiam. the car turned out to be a electrical nightmare.the o2 sensers, the air control valve, the ecu, the power locks, the sunroof, the power windows.i can only guess how much this would have cost to have repaired.all this took place with less than 85000 miles.i have since traded the car off at loss that i am ashamed to tell .but i can asure everyone it wasn't for another nissan.i can tell you that i have and will continue to discourage as many people from buying a nissan for as long as i live.there lack of concern for there customers can be found on the internet if you care to look
    Visitor, Fords, NJ, November 28, 2012 11:14
    MY 3RD MAXIMA AFTER 87' DEN 94' AND NOW 92' I HAVE 268,000 MILES, BUT GUESS WHAT, IT RUNS SO SMOOTH, IT 'S NOT HOW THE CAR RUNS, IT'S ALSO HOW YOU DRIVE THE CAR AS NO TTO ABUSE IT WITHOUT ANY REASON, RUNS SMOOTH, DRIVE GENTLY, WHATS NOT GOOD ABOUT IT...iT'S MAXIMA TO THE maX !!!!!!!
    Visitor, Omaha, NE, November 17, 2012 14:54
    hooray nissan back in shop again lets see 9 coils 3 battery ground cables 2 batteries transmission slippage b4 and after flush complete exhaust replacement under warranty one dealership honored warr. other refused to i thought it was fed req.my brother has degree from ford i worked for chevy.ive only owned nissans try to convince my wife they are good.everyone i know thinks they are good however 2 other maximas in the neighborhood same problems contacted nissan north america no help free advertisement nissan JUNK.YOU GOT ME BASED ON YOUR PAST HISTORY.BY THE WAY KNOW SOMEONE WHO HAS 2009 MAX. SAME THING JUNK JUNK JUNK
  • 2011 Nissan Maxima
    Visitor, Marcus Hook, PA, June 29, 2012 02:08
    my 2011 nissan maxima cd player isn't working properly is it under the warranty to get reapired
    Visitor, Orlando, FL, May 01, 2012 14:26
    I bought an 02 Maxima with 59,000 miles, it's now at 81,000 miles and my experience ranks somewhere between nightmare and lemon. Everything is falling apart, it constantly needs work done on it. Now it has an engine knock and needs a new wheel mount. I'll never buy another Nissan for as long as I live, no car should need so much work done before the 100,000 mile mark has been reached.
    JeanneS, Feeding Hills, MA, April 25, 2012 12:39
    1996 Nissan Maxima I Love this car. I had for seven years!! it's very new looking with minor scratches on spoiler. I call it " The Dark Leopard " Black with tinted windows and leopard seat covers. Good condition inside and out. " only 144,000 miles. this car could out live me!. one problem i noticed just a few weeks ago is the gas tank is dripping a small amount of possible moisture plus rust. I Did not check this out yet since I work 3th shift. It could be the trunk latch or trunk rust dripping down the gas tank!!! if anyone can give me an idea before I spend some bucks it would be great. " No you can't buy My car" Thank You. Jeanne S.
    Visitor, Snohomish, WA, April 08, 2012 12:10
    We Got our nissan maxima and over paying for it bye 3 grand. However it only has 138k miles on it and it runs very good.. I wish i would have known the value of the car before financing it, but as long as it runs i will be happy with the reliability. We have had to get the exhaust fixed once, new brakes an alignment new fuel filter and new tires. We still need to get the wheel barrings fixed, But these are all things to expect when all the original parts are still there. We are fairly happy with ours!
    Visitor, Springfield, MA, April 06, 2012 13:14
    this car is the best i ownd on and is had a supper bad head on colition and then the engin is still alive and to this day 4-6-12 and more i will never give up this rell car and stong thing
    Visitor, Doniphan, MO, March 04, 2012 00:03
    I have had my 1996 nissan infinti for 2yrs it was a rebuilt car i have been having problems with the sensor going out and it's surging when driven I have spent over $300.00 just to replace parts that haven't even fixed it.Now it's dying still and the check engine light keeps on coming on no one can seem to figure out why it's dying when stalled can anyone tell me why it's doing that?
    Visitor, Jackson, MS, January 21, 2012 12:00
    Don't know why paint on the whole top of our car has faded. The sides are fine but, the hood, trunk and roof is horrible.We live in the south and it doesn't get that cold. Someone help me understand.
    Mia C., Decatur, GA, January 19, 2012 13:12
    Like everyone else I need to replace my O2 sensor. I just purchased my vehicle about a year ago. My main problem now is my clutch lost pressure and the car won't start so I'm hoping it won't cost me an arm and a leg to get repaired.
    Visitor, Miami, FL, December 20, 2011 19:20
    I have an 02 Maxima and it have been a very reliable car for nine years. Since I change oil every 5000 miles (synthetic)the engine is still in great shape. I have 155000 miles ans still going strong.
    Visitor, Roselle, IL, December 01, 2011 11:57
    bought my msxima from enterpris in 2005 drove perfect except for the bad goodyear tires collasped on two of tire now at 151k mile all hell has broke loose brake abs system bad transmission downshifts and jerk battery keeps going down thank GOD for jump starters and after reading all these notes all problems are the same it just unfortunate that we are all in the 99percent so why not occuppy nissan for such a bad product.
    Visitor, Stratford, OK, November 28, 2011 09:27
    I HAVE HAD MY 01 MAX. SINCE 168K , I NOW HAVE 210K. I LOVE THIS CAR! MY REPAIRS HAVE BEEN A RADIATOR,REAR WHEEL BRG.,STARTER,MASS AIR FLOW METER,AND 1 IGN. COIL - NOT BAD FOR A CAR WITH 210K AND RUNS GREAT. CAR IS WELL BUILT AND SOLID.
    YoungSwagger, Cedartown, GA, November 21, 2011 19:53
    I bought a used 2006 Nissan Maxima and lately me and my mom have noticed that when we drive it starts to jump and skips up to higher gears can anyone tell me what's wrong?? What could be the problem the local Nissan dealership called which they told me to bring in the car? Please help because I am off of school for Thanksgiving break and I am a Senior in High School which we go back next week urgent information????
    Visitor, Carlsbad, NM, November 14, 2011 07:32
    1992 Nissan Maxima, put 10% ethinol not realizing it in the car five years ago and it has never run right since. The manual says not to run any percentage period. There's only one station left in town that doesn't have it in their gas, now what? The most recent problem is loosing fuel pressure when not running and sometimes even short sits. I cannot find the fuel pump relay and my shop manual doesn't really have an exact location. Everything I read points to the relay being the problem.
    Visitor, Wilmington, MA, November 12, 2011 23:46
    I bought my '06 Maxima used in '08, with 35,000k miles. A few months after purchase I noticed problems with what I believed to be the transmission- the car down shifted very erratically when slowing down. As time went on this problem persisted and as the mileage increased so did the problem. At 100k miles the transmission really started falling apart- it was banging into gear when going into reverse and then returning to drive. At 112k the transmission finally let go. My auto mechanic installed a new Nissan transmission at the cost of $3700.00. I heard many others shared this problem!I will never purchase another Nissan product!!
    Visitor, Irving, TX, October 16, 2011 11:20
    I have nissan maxima 2005sl and at 89000 miles it started transmission problem at my mechnic gave me quote for $3000 i am really disappointed with nissan car and will never buy a nissan car the company nows the problem and they are not willing to recall so please before buying a nissan think 100 times bad ====bad car
    Visitor, Miami, FL, October 07, 2011 19:04
    i have a 2002 nissan maxima gle 3.5 i put new starter and still same thing is happen the starter turn but eng dose not turn i dont no if maybe fly wheel is bad
    Visitor, Schenectady, NY, October 07, 2011 05:28
    bought my 2000 maxima in 2008 with 116k changed alternator,maf sensor,brakes , calipars, rocker panel rusting which seams to be a major problem for 2000 to 2004 max and now i have to change the fuel canister
    Visitor, Lebanon, IN, October 01, 2011 08:20
    I have a 2005 Nissan Maxima with 195,000 miles and on its 4th set of tires. We purchased the car new, fully loaded and it is my 'office on wheels' and I have never been stranded yet in this car. Love this car and can't say enought about it. It was diagnosed this morning with catalytic converter problems and I'm thinking of having it repaired and keeping it. I also agree that Michelin are the best tires ...other tires were too noisy and didn't last. My only real complaint with the car is the turning radius...can't make close turns or you are making a 3 point turn around. But..I can't complain about this make/model.
    Visitor, Swampscott, MA, September 11, 2011 18:15
    Bought a 5-speed GXE new. Have 195K tough, New England miles on it. Things started to go at 115K miles. Replaced CV axles, starter twice, alternator, shocks and struts, transmission, brake rotors, lower control arms, a couple other suspension parts, and now need corroded frame under radiator repaired. My mechanic will charge only $500 for the job. Needs a little rear side panel bodywork, but not a big deal at this stage. Once repaired, it should feel like new for at least 50k miles. Still glad I bought it. Almost time for a new car.
    Visitor, Kingsley, MI, July 21, 2011 18:23
    just bought this car and everybody is having the same problem with their car when acclerating it stumbles and gets worse were you cant even drive it no solution yet very disappointing
    Visitor, Palatine, IL, July 17, 2011 18:43
    I brought a NEW 2005 Nissan Max SL. The radio/CD player went out the first 3 months; Converter went out 87,000 miles; Transmission went out 85,000, motor mounts needed to be replaced; ABS system is BAD; Headlight wiring BAD; solenoid/ canister vacuum BAD. I am very upset with Nissan. I will NEVER buy another Nissan AGAIN.
    Visitor, Houston, TX, June 14, 2011 18:09
    very cute car. I will never buy another Nissan product. Not even a floor mat. reached 100,00 miles and everything began to break down excluding the tail lights. transmission out $3700 to replace, mounts (2 @ $585) belts, chains, and now the wheel bearing, really! at 50,000 miles break and rotor issues.OH did i mention the A/C hoes, I give up. OOOOO i forgot to mention watch out for the headlights, a replacement $300 easy. This is my first time paying off a car and I guess my last. I have read the comments regarding the the transmission. per nissan once you reach 100,000 miles transmission failure is bound to happen. the new rule of thumb for the 2011 model nissan has increased the mileage from 100,000 to 120,000, go figure. I am heading back to lexus, never had problems.
    Visitor, Ellensburg, WA, May 08, 2011 07:47
    I have a 2000 Nissan Maxima with 110,000 miles on it. Got it 2 years ago and have bought a new starter, 02 sensor, cleaned the throllte body and since then it has been running like a champ! This car is perfect! It has alot of room, nice interior with the best stock system I've seen on many cars and have got many compliments for it. Also it has a sporty look and feel and takes corners like a coupe would. All in all this was the best car for a teenager who likes speed, looks, and enough seats to bring friends
  • 1990 Nissan Maxima
    Visitor, Shapleigh, ME, April 30, 2011 20:09
    funny the people complaining, every car has problems at some stage. they dont go forever if you dont look after them. Iv had my maxima a year now and loving it its a 1990 model an only minor problems like hose's (i think the ones going are originals) these cars cant be killed the way i see it, and iv been told by heaps of mechanics an others the engine will outlast the body of the car. they dont mind the odd foot plant either, i hit over 200kph easy a few days ago. most cars the old are flat out hittin 120kph luvin da maxima....
    Visitor, Norfolk, VA, April 11, 2011 13:09
    i bought this car in 2006,i had to replace the starter..wheel bearing..i love this car its dependable
    Visitor, Fairfield, CA, April 07, 2011 22:22
    Nice looking no doubt. It's what's on the inside that counts. Brake problems at 10,000, then again at 35,000, now again at 89,000,,,warped rotors,,,the odd thing is is that my wife drives it like a baby and I rarely ever drive it.. A/C hose went out at 88,000. Now the transmission is starting to jerk when put into 1st gear. This problem just started and has been getting worse. If I buy a new car and it gives me 150,000 problem free miles,,,I'll return to buy another. Nissan can kiss that goodbye. I'll go to Honda or Toyota.
    Visitor, Minneapolis, MN, March 28, 2011 18:11
    What a vehicle. I bought this with 55K miles on it in 2001. It now has 345K miles. The engine runs great, burns no oil, and gets 25mpg consistently. I've changed a couple starters and both the rear hubs @ 200K. The exhaust system is totally original and the body has no rust. Being from Minnesota that's a miracle. I had some service done on the vehicle (ignition coil) and the electrical systems have now begun to fail. I think it's time to put "old bessy" down. She's got a heart of gold. Thinking about buying another one
    66Stingray, Fernandina Beach, FL, February 22, 2011 05:34
    This is the best car I have ever owned w/o question and I have owned many both domestic and foreign. 76,000 miles (not as many as some here) but the only reapir wrong was an oxygen sensor and that was replaced under extended warranty. I read others comments about blown transmissions and other problems here and wonder about their driving habits. ??? This was my 5th Nissan and my 2nd Max. All the others were excellent as well. I just traded this car on a ...guess..... 32011 Altima they are that good!!! (Retired, didn't need a Max anymore).
    Visitor, Purvis, MS, February 22, 2011 04:43
    GOOD GOOD DAM CAR NISSAN MAXIMA IS THE BEST KING OF THE ROAD NO REPLACED
    Visitor, Scottsdale, AZ, February 07, 2011 13:53
    My 2006 Maxima did fairly well until the last six months. The A/C went out followed by a replacement of the transmission, an engine fuel leak and cracked engine mounts. Heater blows hot and sometimes cold. Metal sounding noise comes when the car accelerates. The good news is that I've been able to go 80,000 before needing to replace the brake pads. I'm so glad I bought an extended warranty for this car and will likely get rid of the car when that expires. I've owned three Honda's before this Maxima and never had issues like I have with my Nissan. I would never buy another Nissan.
    Visitor, Canonsburg, PA, February 06, 2011 08:52
    bought my maxima fall of 2001 with 18,0000 miles.I have owned many american cars through the years.This car is one of the best cars I have ever owned.The engine runs like the car was still new,( 121,000 ).The starter was replaced last year, also the exhaust system. Nisson built this model to last a long time. I would recommend this car any one looking for a reliable used car.
    scribe, Philadelphia, PA, January 25, 2011 17:52
    Pumper and I have had similar experiences. I've owned my Red Max for six years and at 105,000 miles on it, I've already replaced brakes, two 02 sensors, ignition coil (still covered under warranty at the time, thankfully and a known fault in the vehicle), and one of three catalytic converters (what moron put 3 in there?). Most recently, the starter died. AAA screwed me, but I got it fixed and the car is running great. I hate to trade it in next month because it truly is a luxury sportscar, possibly the best I'll ever own. I'll still get at least $3,500 for it as a trade. And then it will go for $6K on somebody's used car lot, I'm sure.
    Visitor, Pittsburgh, PA, January 01, 2011 12:19
    totally sucks. dont fall prey for the nice options this car has. it has the worst ride quality and horrible reliability
    ghostima96, Decorah, IA, December 26, 2010 16:20
     Journeyman
    Its been an all around good car, except apparently there is a factory defect with the original power steering rack leaking on the passenger side control arm impregnating the control arm bushing with P/S fluid and eventually deteriorating it. Which is why i couldnt find the pass side control arm in junk yards but found plenty for the drivers side.
    TheFonz, Fort Wayne, IN, December 22, 2010 00:53
    This thing is an Abrams tank. I bought mine around 2000, had an Altima before for several years that was outstanding. I think my Maxima had around 40,000 miles at purchase. Now has over 183,000. I've never had any major problems with it until a few years ago. I was rear-ended fairly hard. Hard enough to bend the chassis and total the car: but it still runs perfectly fine. You can't open one of the back doors from the outside and the trunk is kinda off kilter but it still closes and latches. The heaters working a little crazy. Sometimes it will only blow out heat if its turned all the way up, otherwise the air is whatever the outside temp is. I think I've only had to completely revampt the brakes once, which was last summer. I'd recommend this car to anyone whose interested in Sport/Luxury sedans. I just recently made a trade for a 1999 Mercedes E320 4matic which is really nice. A little bit heavier with rear wheel drive, but damn its smooth.
    Visitor, Marietta, GA, December 14, 2010 09:39
    I've had my 2001 NIssan Maxima since 2003and I had not been disappointed. This year I had to replace the transmission at 204,000 miles but aside from that it's been brakes, tires, oil changes and 2 batteries. Best car I've owned aside from my Infinity J30. The service engine light has been on for years...so long the bulb burned out but I pass emissions every year and it keeps running. I would own another anyday.
    Visitor, San Juan, PR, December 13, 2010 08:36
    I bought my 2001 maxima GLE in 2007 and it only had about 18k on it. I did the regular replace brakes and rotors. I am almost in the 5th year I have owned it and I have had to replace the entire exhaust system (cat. converter down to the muffler) and the lower control arm on the driver's side. These seem to be typical repairs for this car. My check engine light came on this morning and I am experiencing idle control problems. So unfortunately, everything that has been complained about on this vehicle I have. Other than that everything up until now under the hood has been fine.
    Visitor, Tacoma, WA, December 12, 2010 13:37
    I've had my car for 12 years and love it! So comfortable and reliable. Don't like the looks of the newer Maximas though.
    Visitor, Marietta, GA, December 12, 2010 13:34
    Pretty good car. I've always loved the Max and this one really has not disappointed. The only problem with this model is that there seems to be an issue with the exhaust system. The converters go out on this model usually at the same time, causing a Check Engine light condition.
    Visitor, Jersey City, NJ, December 05, 2010 17:06
    hands down best bang for the buck,best car compare to camry or accord
    Visitor, Melrose, MA, December 05, 2010 17:05
    2nd owner, I bought in 2003 with 27K, and I know have 157K. Cat Conv repairs are a prob, but hey.... Engine is rock solid, and with regular maintenance theres no reason why you can't get 200K plus.
    Visitor, Sewell, NJ, December 05, 2010 17:05
    I purchased car new in 2001. Still have car now with 129,000 on it. My major issue has been the cat converters and o2 sensors. I have replaced 3 cats in 129,000 mi and 6 o2 sensors. Two p0420's and one p0430. The cats are very expensive to replace ( $ 1,100 installed ). Nissan doesn't help at all with this problem and I'm not alone (check complaints) . Plenty of TSB'S on problem but no recall.
    mphackett2002, East Hartford, CT, November 15, 2010 13:51
    I guess I got lucky with my transmission, I'm at 111K and it finally quit. I did the research after I bought the car so I was waiting for it. I got the cam sensor code twice, went away on its own, put in an AEM intake and custom Y-pipe catback exhaust but it sounds great on its own. Regular oil changes at 5K and one transmission flush to try to resolve the tranny myself but I do believe it made it worse. I liked the heated seats and was cooled and warmed nicely but I have to say the defroster is the worst I've ever dealt with.
    Visitor, Cleveland, OH, November 11, 2010 14:05
    overall the car is nice but little issues that nissan can take care and not doing anything about
    Visitor, Corona, CA, October 22, 2010 09:10
    At just under 5 yrs old, the paint on the hood and roof started fading terribly and eventually wore down through to the undercoat. I suspect the hood, roof and trunk lid are aluminum (magnetic signs would not adhere to these surfaces). All other exterior surfaces have retained their shiny black luster. The silver-gray contact paper trim around the instrument cluster is bubbled. Now, at 110,000 miles, the center console cushion has fallen off for the 2nd time (I don't want to spend $200 for a replacement). Although, maintained exclusively by my local Nissan dealer since birth, the engine sounds "tired" (service mgr says this is the normal sound???) and now, they recommend that I use a heavier oil (10-30wt). The moon roof sometimes doesn't close unless I play with the switch. Finally, the auto tilt steering wheel sometimes doesn't tilt back into position when I shut the door. Other than these problems, I love my black Max SL! It is a roomy, comfortable riding car and I judge all other vehicles against it. However, it is the last Maxima I will purchase!
    Visitor, Lady Lake, FL, October 05, 2010 11:45
    needed a new transmission...from the reviews i have been reading this appears to be an ongoing problem. i bought this car new and i will never buy another nissan again. i would think there would be some sort of recourse re the transmission issue but i guess i am wrong
    betsy365, Cherry Valley, MA, September 30, 2010 15:52
    Let me tell you when we leased our 1998 Nissan Maxima in July of 1998 we did not think we would be giving it to our 5 year old son at the time when he got his license.! My husband drove that car 5 to 6 days a week to/from work 60 miles each way from July 1998 to February 2010 it has 365,000 miles on it, ORIGINAL exhaust on it, original body, minor rust spots. Sadly we are in a time as to whether we drive her to her last resting spot in the junk yard or put more money into it to replace the original muffler, exhaust valve. It is hesitating when you excellerate, the computer states emisisons issue. We are just worried that if we sink more money into it will it keep going for another 6 to 10 months before my son goes off to college. this is the toughest car decision we've ever had to make! Truthfully should be the easiest with 365,000 miles!!!
    Visitor, Richmond, VA, September 22, 2010 20:57
    2004 Maxima with 52000, My car was rattling at first --- then today it acted like it did not want to go.--- took it in and the dealer said the transmission is gone. 49000 miles -- Wow -- what a piece of crap -- I have a 1998 pontiac grand prix with 210k miles -- no problems at all -- BUY AND SUPPORT AMERICAN
    Visitor, Pittsburgh, PA, September 18, 2010 15:59
    Owned every generation maxima since 92 never again, front brakes and rotors every year. struts, headlight bulbs 3 times transmission twice replaced under warranty 2 engines one under warranty one not. all 4 abs sensors and serpentine belts 3 times. oh almost forgot the bose radio replaced under warranty. want a g35 but it's a nissan product same engine cant bring myself to do it.
    JH17, Presto, PA, September 13, 2010 13:29
    Like others on here, 2004 Max was the worst car ever. My transmission went at 6,900 miles and I had the steering wheel shimmy from day 1. It was always the tires' problem...never Nissan's for making a horrible product. Had so many issues I could write a book. Brakes were horrible as well. Heat would only work on acceleration, etc. All of the common problems I had. I don't understand how car manufacturers get away with this. There has to be more oversight to protect consumers. Traded this P.O.S. in for a 2010 Acura and have had one year of problem and expense free driving. I forgot what that was like. Shame on Nissan for making a sh$tty product and doing nothing about it. Never will I buy from them again.
  • 2007 Nissan Maxima
    Visitor, Fort Bragg, NC, September 13, 2010 13:16
    Just got the car and it's working fine, it's at 57,000 miles. Let's see what's next..
    maxi3083, Hartford, CT, September 08, 2010 18:50
    I got my car at 2010 with 119k on it, not to bad for a loaded maxima had it for three months after and, broke down i was so upset thaught that was it for me , when i turned my car on it didn't want to start, took the keys of the ignition and the lights staid on, on the dash board so i thaught oh oh i have a big problem to make story short took it to a nissan dealer and turns out the computer of the car burned out that was $$1,600 to fix. Now is running like knew.
    Visitor, Miami, FL, August 30, 2010 07:07
    04 Nissan Maxima SE is the Worst car I have ever owned!!! One problem after another, but the biggest problem was having to put a new transmission in it after 68000 miles!!! Violent jerking while changing gears & down shifting. Was afraid to come to complete stop at STOP Signs due to fear of Whip-lash. And I am NOT over-exaggerating!!! Nissan should be ashamed of this car. My family & I have been Nissan owners since 1984, we have had Sentra's, 240SX & Maxima's. Unfortunately, I will no longer be a part of the Nissan family. I put my trust in this company & now they will do nothing to resolve this problem. There are over 100,000+ complaints online on the 04 & 05 Maximas for this same jerking & transmission problem & Nissan has yet to recall the product. I resulted in front end damage to my car due to my car jerking forward. This is a safety issue that should be addressed. I filed a complaint with the National BBB USA Site online & recommend that others due to same.
    Visitor, Lewisville, TX, August 20, 2010 23:45
    My 2000 Max has 141K on it. It has has a tranny rebuilt, new fuel injectors, and overall its a solid car but i'm having speed sensor issues and low gear takes too long to shift lately I think I need a speed sensor can anyone send me advice Chiroworks88@aol.com
    Visitor, San Diego, CA, August 08, 2010 11:48
    I purchased this car used with 50k miles in 1999 thinking it would be a great car that would last me 5yrs. 11 years later the car has 300,000 miles and is still fun to drive. Looking to retire this car now, and will probably get the 2009 maxima.
    Visitor, Tempe, AZ, July 31, 2010 16:00
    2nd owner of car. Owned it from 50-140K miles lots of issues. Grinding noises on turning needed suspension work, 2 alternators, couple of batteries, windshield wiper spray motor, bose stereo buttons broke off and cd stopped working (but did sound great when it worked), a/c never worked extremely well, radiator replaced at 90K, struts and shocks at 100K, intake manifold sparkplug boots replaced (oil in spark plug cavity) 120K, finally traded it in when i got a check engine light, misfire, due to one cylinder pressure low. Would not recommend buying one. Not reliable enough.
  • 1994 Nissan Maxima
    Visitor, San Diego, CA, July 27, 2010 17:20
    I bought it brand new in early 1994 and it still runs fabulously. Just over 170,000 miles on it now. Upholstery is still in good shape. Original back speakers get a little rattley if I crank the bass up with high volume, but are fine for regular listening. Driver seat padding is definitely worn with an indention that is 'just my size'. I did have the transmission replaced around 120,000 miles. I love this car. I only had the struts replaced once, but it probably needs them again as the front tires wear unevenly now.
    Visitor, Houston, TX, July 23, 2010 22:11
    Have 145k on the car, in the past year had to replace ignition coils(which seems like a regular issue in this model, suggestion if you replace all six sometimes its cheaper especially if you are going to get the spark plugs done), replaced front struts, oxygen sensor, starter and radiator. These are besides regular maintenance like transmission oil flush, brake pad change, brake fluid flush, new tires & new battery. Hopefully this will be the last for the next 30k.
    Visitor, Richmond, VA, July 06, 2010 16:33
    I am at 4 years and 50,000 miles with this car. It's just the right size, it's a great looking design, comfortable ride but still connected to the road, and it has power to spare. I have had nothing but the usual maintenance repairs- until now- I need a new front wheel bearing- not bad. Lousy turning radius is my only complaint.
  • 2003 Nissan Maxima
    fryarjt, Fort Myers, FL, June 10, 2010 18:07
    Old Maxine has been very reliable but the milage is getting up there, so major services are due.Just replaced the OEM radiator .All motor mounts are worn out at the point so thats going to cost.Engine still runs strong and everything works.
    Visitor, Winston Salem, NC, June 10, 2010 12:04
    1991 Maxima SE! 296,800 miles and still going strong! no problems. Replaced fuel injectors and clutch. One of the best vehicles I've ever owned!
    Visitor, Plainfield, IL, June 08, 2010 10:54
    I have a 190,000 miles and still going strong. Minor surface rust showing up and some disc break hard spot issues though out the years.... but I still love the car and it has never failed me.
    Visitor, Irvine, CA, May 17, 2010 12:20
    Just as I went over the mileage for the warranty coverage, the transmission started acting up. The transmission started getting rough when it shifted from 2nd to 3rd and back from 4rth to third gear. When I went to get it repaired. The mechanic also noticed that the engine mounts were almost all gone and that the radiator mounts were all torn. The body, engine, heating /cooling, and electrical are all still in very good condition. There is a slight rattle when driving over some bumps. I'm assuming that I'll soon need to replace the struts and/or shocks. The large turning radius sucks but is not a major problem. I would be very happy with this car if it wasn't for the transmission trouble.
    Visitor, Las Cruces, NM, May 06, 2010 22:15
    This car will perform better than you dreamed with excellent care
    Visitor, Aurora, CO, May 04, 2010 22:20
    72000 my tranny went out. I will never buy Nissan again. I will fix it and trade it for a donkey. hard shifting and I feel as im going to fly out when my car jerks. NMNE-No more Nissan Ever.
    cbruton, Hattiesburg, MS, April 30, 2010 07:37
    Bought car new in 1999. I now have 258K miles on it. No major problems ever. Basically, brakes, tires, and a few emission issues (o2 sensor, egr valve) However, I have never replaced the struts and it is beginning to show
    Visitor, Randolph, MA, April 28, 2010 12:01
    The same problem as Kara, Transmission was gone at 73K miles. Called Nissan, they didn't help at all. 2 abs sensors also gone. Never buy nissan again, not recommending to anyone ...
    ktroy, Tabernacle, NJ, April 16, 2010 14:46
    I've owned it for 7 years. No problems -just routine brakes and tires. I'm at 129,000 miles now and it needs an ignition coil, wheel bearings and O2 sensor ( rough running). I love this car. Really stable on the open highway at high speed. Great acceleration. I have the GLE - loaded with every conceivable option. Oddly the remote has stopped working - not the button battery -can't figure why. May replace the car eventually with another Maxima or possibly an Altima.
    Visitor, Woodstock, GA, April 09, 2010 13:45
    This is awesome car
    jeejackson, Beaumont, TX, April 03, 2010 15:05
    car has a lot of hesitation in town but drives real good on the hwy
    Visitor, Miami, FL, April 02, 2010 12:17
    rattle noise under the floor of the car and fumes eminating from the bottom of the car. dealer unable to correct problem til date
    Visitor, Carmel, IN, March 29, 2010 19:43
    Love my 2002 GLE. Smooth as silk, very reliable and quick as a scalded cat. Turning radius is poor though and with torque steer considered this baby is more of a cruiser than a hot rod. Will handle high speeds on good roads with an ease perhaps too attractive if you know what I mean.
    kara, Pomona, CA, February 27, 2010 20:41
    I loved this car when i 1st bought it, i am at 74,000 miles. 4000 over my warranty and the transmission is gone along with 2 motor mounts, nissan of north america had a terrible way of responding to my calls (never) !!!! and denied any help whats so ever. After paying $43,000 for my car its going to cost me $5,100 to repair, I just dont have that kind of money laying around, I exspected allot more from this car, i am truly heartbroken and dont recommend anyone by a nissan due to quality and service provided by the company.
    HOTRODDON, Nashville, TN, February 21, 2010 04:42
    THIS IS A VERY NICE CAR VERY GOOD ON THE EYES AND THE PERFORMANCE IS CRAZY FAST FOR OEM ALL THE BELLS AND WHISTLES AND A GREAT ELECTRICAL SYSTEM THAT DOES NOT FAIL OVE THIS CAR
    IWAYNE, Brooklyn, NY, January 07, 2010 04:41
    Car is pretty good in all,, but doesn't brake good slides a lot ,, hand brake freezes in cold weather,, doesn't have limited slip so wheels spin at every chance it gets , heat doesn't come up fast enough even when car has warmed up you have to turn up full blast until you have stared driven. The rear suspension sways to much on swift movements causing a fishtail like gesture ,,
    gm master tech, Cocoa, FL, October 22, 2009 16:34
    lovelovelove this car! i will never ever sell this car ever!:)
    drago, Plattsburgh, NY, June 28, 2009 15:56
    Best car i've ever own. I owned it for 9 years and a half and had 270 000 km on it. I have the 5 speed manual version, i was and i am yet pretty hard on the car and is still do the job. NO PROBLEM with this car. Just check the cross member under the radiator, it tend to break in the middle with the rust.
    gnjoroge02, Lowell, MA, June 28, 2009 11:28
    2004 maxima has BIG Problems with the transmission. It shifts extremely hard from 1st to 2nd gear and it has a rattling noise coming from underneath as you accelerate. The issue happens sporadically.
    bfleshner, Sacramento, CA, June 11, 2009 11:32
    Best car I've ever owned! 75,000 on the clock, have only done oil changes and brakes front and rear, one set of tires. I average 22.5 mpg in town, and 28 mpg highway.To get the best fuel mileage use the sport shift mode. RPM Shift Points: 2,000 from 1st to 2nd, and about 2,750 in all other gears in town. The computer shifts much too early, causing the engine to "bog down" in town. There is no such problem at freeway speeds. My only complaint is that the suspension is a little firm at times, but the handling and performance more than make up for it. Best tires for this car are the Michelin AS Sport Plus, excellent wet and dry traction and much quieter than the stock tires.
  • 1995 Nissan Maxima
    pattiemae, Columbus, GA, May 16, 2009 18:44
    my son inherited this car so I don't know alot about it. he has been driving it for about 1 year. recently we have had alot of problems. check engine light still on taking it in for repairs again! I feel like this will be a great little car once we get the kinks out
    harveyp1122, Deerfield Beach, FL, April 03, 2009 03:45
    THIS IS THE BEST CAR I HAVE EVER OWNED.IF ANYBODY WANT TO HAVE LUXUARY CAR FOR THE BEST VALUE THERE IS NO BETTER CAR THAN A NISSAN MAXIMA.THE ONLY COMPAINT IF YOU CAN CALL IT ONE IS THE TURNING RATIO,OTHER THAN THAT YOU CAN'T DRIVE A BETTER CAR.
    Route303, Valley Cottage, NY, March 24, 2009 08:16
    Love this car!! Made to run forever. Not one problem in 7 years.
    max4lyfe, Brooklyn, NY, February 11, 2009 18:41
    This is perhaps thee most affordable driving machine. It is the definition of a road warrior. It has the look and comfort of a luxury vehicle and the performance of a racing legend. Probably the most powerful and underrated engine ever!!!!! The one thing tho, this car is a lady and the better you take care of her the better she takes care of you. I've had this car for a couple of months and I have no complaints. Just as long as you do the basics such as change the oil, rotate the tire, and have it looked at by a NISSAN MECHANIC you'll be in speed heaven!!!!
  • 1993 Nissan Maxima
    matte, Oakland, CA, December 10, 2008 11:10
    Owned one of these for years, and it took every sort of abuse I could throw at it. The Bose stereo died every couple of years, though. I had to do the front brakes, but not other big repairs. I even wrecked it twice and only had a little body work to do. Great car.
    Maxman, Jacksonville, FL, November 25, 2008 08:07
    Very solid transportation, classic body style
    riggins, Charlotte, NC, November 10, 2008 11:05
    Good car, only complaint is I've had to replace the starter 3 times.
    pumper, Cedar Rapids, IA, October 23, 2008 09:24
    as of 105k, replaced alternator, MAF, 2 o2 sensors, muffler, brakes twice, sway bar bushings, 2 ignition coils, starter, and window molding that deteriorated. a fairly long list, but i still like the car. great horsepower , mediocre fuel economy, good stereo, excellent interior all-around, and is still a pretty cool car.
    demfamily, Miami, FL, October 09, 2008 20:29
    Engine power best attribute. Electrical, suspension Struts, hood struts and exterior paint wear need improvements.******************************************
    bulldog bob, Blairsville, GA, October 06, 2008 08:01
    Some minor body fit problems. Goodyear tires are not up to snuff. Most Goodyears are not. Lots of trouble with Goodyear dealer, they have a hard time balancing the tires.
    pookies, Monroe Township, NJ, September 27, 2008 11:41
    Love the car. At 74500 miles had to replace rear sensors. Under warranty had wheel bearing problem. No issues since. otherwise very reliable and good ride on long trips.
    brales74, Cleveland, OH, September 02, 2008 19:05
    Have had issues with the brakes. Had to replace several times.