Mercedes-Benz E420 Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your Mercedes-Benz E420
- High Usage Vehicles May Experience Ignition Lock and Tumbler Failures
- Poor idle quality due to oil feed tubes falling into crankcase
- Radiators Break Due to Degradation of the Plastic Tanks and Fittings
- Malfunctioning Regulators May Cause Blower Motor Failure
- Sunroof Components May Fail Due to Age and Wear
- 1997 mercedes e420 broken stearing wheel lock how to remove
- Car wont shift through gears Only reverse and first.
- What is a fuel relay "block" on a 1997 Mercedes E-420. The dealership says $500
- How to erase error code in my AC
- Why the central locking system is not activated while driving at certain rpm?
Mercedes-Benz E420 Problems
Due to wear, high usage vehicles can experience ignition lock and tumbler failures. The ignition lock cylinder will generally require replacement to correct this concern.
Oil feed tubes break and fall into the crankcase (engine) and the tappet becomes noisy (ticking), resulting in degraded idle quality. Our technicians recommend replacing all of the tubes at the same time, broken or not.
A coolant leak may develop form the Radiator due to degradation of its plastic components. Replacement of the failed radiator will be necessary.
Mercedes-Benz E420 Questions
It happened all of a sudden. Start car put in reverse back out put it in drive and wont go from first to second third or fourth even manually. Just reverse and first.
Have an 1994 E320 as well and the doors do lock as I accelerate. My E420 does not. The central locking works when the doors are locked using the key.
Take car to store short way away from home (15 minutes). When ready to come back home car will not start again until it sits and engine gets cold again. What could be wrong?
Mercedes-Benz E420 Recalls
Mercedes-Benz E420 Reviews
1997 E420 Sport - My first Mercedes, bought from a friend's estate. Car is a creampuff, 95,000 miles and all dealer serviced. The exhaust system is like a new car, not rusted, the chassis is really olid,again no rot. The materials used are very high quality and the car holds up well as a result. Over the years and during the extended warranty the tranny was replaced, as was the AC blower motor...
The ASR light came out and the ABS light same time came on and all gauges stopped working. When engine was shut off, it could not be started and all the lights came on.
Great car but has a poor Electrical Wiring System