Mercedes-Benz E420 Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your Mercedes-Benz E420
- High Usage Vehicles May Experience Ignition Lock and Tumbler Failures
- Radiators Break Due to Degradation of the Plastic Tanks and Fittings
- Poor idle quality due to oil feed tubes falling into crankcase
- Malfunctioning Regulators May Cause Blower Motor Failure
- Sunroof Components May Fail Due to Age and Wear
- ENGINE ELECTRONIC LIGHT STAY ON
- Transmission Control Module
- My car will not start any options on what it could be? and where is the relay?
- I have two messages showing on 1997 Mercedes E420 - 1)defective lamp 2) coolant
- Stalls after warm up I've changed the engine wire harness the crank sensor put a used ezl still no change sounds ass if the fuel pump shuts down when car warms up after cool down it starts right up
Mercedes-Benz E420 Problems
Due to wear, high usage vehicles can experience ignition lock and tumbler failures. The ignition lock cylinder will generally require replacement to correct this concern.
A coolant leak may develop form the Radiator due to degradation of its plastic components. Replacement of the failed radiator will be necessary.
Oil feed tubes break and fall into the crankcase (engine) and the tappet becomes noisy (ticking), resulting in degraded idle quality. Our technicians recommend replacing all of the tubes at the same time, broken or not.
Mercedes-Benz E420 Questions
Key was lost. Steering lock was removed so car could be moved. Ignition in position 2, SRS light goes out for 3 seconds, comes back on. Engine turns but won't start. Key sensor (plastic ring at end of ignition in dash) was unplugged. Key I purchased from Dealership. Works door locks, ignition...
Can we do it ourselves?
What is the cost?
What happens if we don't fix it.
Mercedes-Benz E420 Recalls
Mercedes-Benz E420 Reviews
1997 E420 Sport - My first Mercedes, bought from a friend's estate. Car is a creampuff, 95,000 miles and all dealer serviced. The exhaust system is like a new car, not rusted, the chassis is really olid,again no rot. The materials used are very high quality and the car holds up well as a result. Over the years and during the extended warranty the tranny was replaced, as was the AC blower motor...
The ASR light came out and the ABS light same time came on and all gauges stopped working. When engine was shut off, it could not be started and all the lights came on.
Great car but has a poor Electrical Wiring System