The thermostat is a mechanical device that controls engine temperature. It blocks coolant flow to the radiator until the engine reaches a predetermined temperature. This allows the engine to warm up quickly and efficiently.
Symptoms of Wear or Failure
- Thermostat housing may leak coolant
- Engine may overheat or never reach normal temperature
- Higher exhaust emissions
- Check Engine Light may illuminate
- Poor fuel mileage
Related Repair Advice
- A high-quality OEM thermostat should be used. Poor quality thermostats may not function properly and can cause damage to the engine or components of the emission system.
- We recommend replacing the thermostat any time major repairs are performed on the cooling system