2005 Toyota 4Runner Reviews & Ratings

Read real experiences from 2005 Toyota 4Runner owners like you.

2005 Toyota 4Runner Ratings Overview
7 car owners like you reviewed their 2005 Toyota 4Runner. The average rating is a 4.0 out of 5.
By on 8/20/17 | Scottsdale, AZ
Purchased a used 2005 Toyota forerunner V6 with 76,000 miles based on Consumer Reports and Edmunds.com reviews. Other than a new battery and a starter, we've had no issues for several years. At 133,000 however, dash panel light and computer code revealed misfire in # 6 cylinder. After some research, I discovered "head gasket," and # 6 cylinder issues are quite common in high mileage Toyota forerunners. See 4runner.org or google: 2005 toyota forerunner "head gasket" and you will discover as I did, that Toyota has lot's of # 6 cylinder & head gasket issues on high mileage Toyota's. So much for low maintenance costs! $4,000.repair costs are nothing to sneeze at my friend.
By on 1/1/12 | Orlando, FL
I had a 2003 4Runner and traded it for my 2005 4Runner in 2009 with 35,000 miles. It is the sport edition V8 4WD. I love everything about this vehicle. Although it rides a bit stiff, I can't complain. The Jensen sound system is amazing, although could have had a better stereo system. I can't get some local stations, however the ones that come through are clear. Not a crucial downfall for me. Just recently the check engine light,VSC Track and VSC off lights came on with the vehicle skidding icon. They stay on for a few days and go off, coming back on eventually. I took it to the dealership and they diagnosed it as the Air intake valve malfunction. They said it needed valve assembly x3, pump assembly, and gaskets x2 @ $2500. Labor $1100. They said it was common with the V8's. Has anyone had this same problem? Would love some suggestions. Other than that, I have had no other mechanical issues with this vehicle and recommend it to friends, minus the 4WD. I would most likely purchase another 4Runner minus the 4WD.
By on 2/18/11 | Oceanside, CA
I have had a Cellica and Camry previously and I bought the Sport Version of the 2005 4 Runner, without 4 whl drive. The only regret I have is that it is too stiff of a ride for me...I like a little bit more of luxury and comfort when I drive. My husband wanted the Sport Version to take his surfboard to the beach...I like how it looks, but wish I had gotten something better on gas and cushier....We also bought a 2001 MR2 and a 2004 Tacoma SR5....We like Toyotas for their reliability, but I wish all of our cars were a little more comfy to ride in.....
By on 10/20/10 | Oakland, CA
Excellent car. Purchased with 11k on it in 2006 and it's been a top performer in all conditions, including deep snow. No major repairs, but do plan to replace the shocks at about 80k. I test drove everything at the time and I've never had a moment of regret about this purchase.
By on 9/14/10 | Charlotte, NC
I bought tis car new and ever since she served the family well.
I had to wait for it an extra 3 weeks, because I wanted one without the sunroof and leather/electrical seat.
I'm a tech, so I take care of all the maintenance or repair and the car gets all the best - OE or better parts.
Beside the reg. services I replaced the following:
-all tires @ 40K
-front brakes @ 50K
-A/C evaporator @ 55K (that's the reason for 3 stars on the A/C system)
The only thing I miss is an MP3 capable CD player and a switch for the traction control. There are some off-road situations when it would be better off. Overall - it's a great car, I'd buy one again.
By on 8/31/10 | Gainesville, GA
I have 2005 4runner it only has 72000 miles on it and a piston went out took it to toyota and they only fixed the one piston don;t know how they did that but this truck was running fine. Got back in to go to the store and had a bad rod knock so just not so sure of the vehical now. Has anyone else had this proplem? V6 Lucky I bought the extended warranty.
By on 11/5/08 | Redwood City, CA
I had my Toyota 4Runner for many years and it was a great car that generally needed little time at the repair shop. The one exception was the head gasket issue with the V6 motor. The V6 version has too small a border between the piston and water jacket in one spot, and after a while it blows out the head gasket. I blew two head gaskets, and each one cost $2500-$4000 to fix. Definitely don't go to just any shop to get this work done, as it's a complex job and if they don't do it right, they can screw up lots of other stuff on the car. If you really want a 4Runner that will last a long time, get the 4 cylinder version. It doesn't have the head gasket problem like the V6. Beyond that, the car is a trooper, rinning over 300,000 miles with no issues. The 2005 4Runner was back when in still had sightly stiff truck-like suspension - hard for long drives - but newer versions ride more like a car. All-in-all, great car.