1998 Mercedes-Benz C230 Reviews & Ratings

Read real experiences from 1998 Mercedes-Benz C230 owners like you.

1998 Mercedes-Benz C230 Ratings Overview
6 car owners like you reviewed their 1998 Mercedes-Benz C230. The average rating is a 4.0 out of 5.
By on 4/1/13 | Woodridge, IL
I am enjoying this car as second owner. First owner drove 180000 miles than I took over few years ago. It has more than 260000 miles now but surprisingly it doesn't burn oil at all in between oil changes. I keep every 5000 miles use synthetic oil. I changed transmission fluid at 200000. Water Pump at 224000. Very recently Speedometer stock so I bought used one cost $ 80.00 so it shows only 115000 miles make me feeling good. Many people worry about maintenance but in my case. I was able to find these part from website source so most of time I could get parts less than other Import cars like Toyota, Honda..
I don't know how long I will keep this but engine, trans..main part remain strong, I probably try to go for at least 500000 miles. Mileage is also surprisingly accurate (23-30) I drove mostly highway so everage I could get 28-32 miles. I am loving this car
By on 3/6/13 | Virginia Beach, VA
My 1998 Mercedes Benz C230 is extremely reliable car.I bought it in Nov 1997 brand new with 4 miles on it,after 16 years it has 84,800 miles on it and still reliable no breakdown,easy to start,my battery lasted for 10 years,change my 4 tires 3 times and follow car maintenance every 10,000 miles,no other repair.I love it".
By on 11/17/12 | Bedford Hills, NY
I purchased my 1998 c230 from my sister in law when it was off leaseit had 20,000 miles that was in 2001 since i have put 140,000 miles on the car and compared to my dodge dakota with 105.000 miles and my accord 106,000 miles I am sorry to say the mercedes has cost 5 times more to maintain and operate then the dodge or honda. Would never by another over engineered car like this mercedes again. The parts for maintnance are 3X more expensive and not made to last very long, I have replaced 2 mass flow sensors,water pump ,brakes and rotors, timing chain tensioner, battery, O2 sensors,2 coils,vacume lines, ball joints and on and on what an expensive piece of junk.Don't get caught up in the reputation of this manufacture if you keep the car beyond it warentee period
By on 6/1/12 | Carlsbad, CA
I have two 1998 C230's, one with over 130,000 miles and the other with 94,000 miles. I bought each of them at different times - the 130,000 one (green) had 65,000 when I bought it and the 94,000 mile one (black) had 48,000 when I bought it. I have only had one major failure and that was on the green one. The transmission fluid cooler leaked into the radiator coolant and vice versa resulting in a "chocolate shake" tranny fluid. I bought a new radiator ($190), flushed the tranny twice with new fluid, flushed the coolant system, hooked everything up and it's been running OK for over 20,000 miles. I've had to replace water pumps on both and belt tensioners on both, other than that I've had trouble free 111,000 miles out of both.
By on 8/15/10 | Nanuet, NY
This is a great car overall. But look out for high repair cost at the dealership. Most common problem with this car: Transmission. Other that this - normal maintenance will be required. However, this car will cost much more than say a Toyota or Honda ....if you take it to a dealer. If you can do the work yourself then it is worth more that any car on the road. I have 200K miles and can get another 50K with no problem. Not to many cars on the road can make this claim, unless you spend an arm&leg at the dealership.
By on 8/4/10 | Overland Park, KS
Bought this classic two weeks ago. Everything works great! Good body, good interior, with 166k miles. Two full service agreements (oil change etc), and 6 month warranty. Looking forward to this ride for several years. Where can I get an owner's manual. Wanting to learn how to operate everything!