2006 Hyundai Elantra Reviews & Ratings

Read real experiences from 2006 Hyundai Elantra owners like you.

2006 Hyundai Elantra Ratings Overview
8 car owners like you reviewed their 2006 Hyundai Elantra. The average rating is a 4.0 out of 5.
By on 4/12/12 | Warwick, RI
2006 Elantra GT has rust around rear brakelight.
Power Steering pump is shot at 90,000 miles.
Brakes always sound like they need to be replaced.
Wipers don't always seem to work that well either.
Of course my car was in perfect shape until the warranty was up
By on 6/26/11 | Walnut Creek, CA
i have a 2006 Elantra,, 18000 miles, mostly city. My rear brakes burned out at 18m left rear was at 0.00 right had a bit left, Front brakes are about 90% of original. Had to cut the drums because of all the scoring California weather is kind to cars some wet streets mostly good weather. Has anyone else had a similar brake problem? My last car a Ford Explorer ran 35m between brake jobs similar driving and occasionally towing a 22 ft boat.
all else is good, car runs well no problems
By on 1/24/11 | La Grange, IL
The car has been very reliable and handles well. The driver's seating position is very good and can be easily adjusted to accomodate my 5' 1" wife. Much improved over my previous Geo Prizm/Toyota Corolla. Engine always starts, unlike some carbureted ones I used to own many years ago.
I like the styling of this 2006 GT hatchback better than later models, but would prefer their timing chain and better gas mileage. Overall, it is a WINNER!
By on 7/25/10 | Bronx, NY
My '06 Elantra hatchback is very reliable, i think. i go through brakes and rotors a lot though. I put over 59,000 miles on it so far and its still going strong. These items i had to replace: front bearings, front ball joint, hand brake wire (may have come with car defective but i did not realize it, till i pull it up a few times and it broke), blown left head lamp bulb, fog lamp bulbs, replace brake light ever 1-2 months (very strange), replace 1 catalytic converter, oxygen sensor, signal indicator sensor. I don't use my Hyundai dealer for service, because they charge way too much money for service. While "under warranty the dealer tried to charge me over $450 dollars to change front brakes and rotors. I like Hyundai cars, i just would like the maintenance cost to be a little less expensive.
By on 6/12/10 | Yukon, OK
I bought this car new in 2006. I bought the base model with the 5 speed. So far, I have had no transmission or engine problems. The gas mileage is great. I have had a few issues with the A/C system and the body seems to get dents and dings very easily. Three of the four original tires on this car (from the factory) were defective and I had to purchase new tires at 25000 miles. This car runs very well and has been very reliable.
By on 4/13/10 | Carlsbad, CA
Carlsbad Hyundai unloaded a lemon on me and Hyundai corporate turned it's back on me and failed to honor their warrenty. Never buy a Hyundai; it's Korean for "garbage"
By on 12/21/09 | Rumford, ME
I bought a 06 Elantra loaded, 5 speed, I love driving it. Almost 60,000 miles and I had to replace struts. I live in Maine and I notice the emergency brake freezes up. and if there is any ice near the wind shield and hood and you try to open it you may bend the hood ends if you don't stop in time. Water seems to freeze there. They stopped making the Elantra and I don't like what they replaced it with so I won't be buying another one.
By on 4/11/09 | Lebanon, IN
This my 2nd one, no problems with either.