Ignition Lock Assembly
The ignition lock secures the ignition system and steering column to prevent theft. When the key is not in the "on" position, it is impossible to turn the steering wheel. The assembly includes the ignition lock cylinder.
Symptoms of Wear or Failure
- Car may not start, start intermittently, have electrical issues, or shut off while driving
- Engine may continue to run after key has been removed
- Radio, lights, blower motor, and other components may stop working
Related Repair Advice
- When starting issues arise, the battery and starter should be inspected along with the ignition switch
- If the ignition key will not turn, the fault is commonly caused by the ignition lock cylinder. In most cases, the lock cylinder can be replaced separately from the ignition switch.