Reviews for Honda Civic years:

Honda Civic Reviews and Owner Comments

Honda CivicOwner Reviews (103 reviews)
    Visitor, Surprise, AZ, April 11, 2014 22:37
    My 99 civic has 200k miles and still runs great, low cost to maintain,changed oil every 3000k and never had any real big problems, oh i did have to replace head, but that was due to the water pump piece broke off and clogged something over heated, had it replaced and expect to get another 50K out of it, my last civic befor this one went 300k, and never leaked anything, 35-40mpg someone knocked on my door and asked me to sell it to them, that 88 civic took me across the country many times, went through college then I gave it to my little brother and he used it until he graduated Medical School at UCLA and bought his own practice, he gave it back to me with 300k and I drove it to Phoenix where someone stole it to smuggle drugs got it back when police found it and it still ran great up to the day I sold it. I believe in hondability, GO CIVIC!!
    Visitor, Spring, TX, August 07, 2013 20:42
    I love my civic. I have 265,000 miles on my car. Just recently had to replace the clutch and am about to replace my a/c pump again. Other than that I love it. It runs very well and it meets our needs.
    TristanReal, Willowbrook, IL, July 02, 2013 15:49
     Journeyman
    Reliable, cheap to maintain. Classic civic. daily driver. Good job honda!
    Visitor, Avon, NY, March 02, 2013 11:35
    Bought brand new in 10/2005 as new 2006 Civic LX, manual tran. Yesterday, 3/01/13, gave car to my adult son...this morning the clutch started to go...How bad does THAT make me feel?? How much is dealer replacement clutch going to cost? Mileage: 103k....I sure expected more! Had manual tran Saab for 15 years...original clutch... :-(
    Visitor, Woodbridge, VA, August 08, 2012 09:18
    I have had a 98 civic since 2000. It have just under 30,0000 miles on it when I purchased it. I have only had to do basic maintance work (oil changes, brakes, tires, tune up). Very good car.
    Visitor, Charleston, SC, April 23, 2012 19:20
    I am a owner of a 5 speed 2005 honda civic. I bought it brand new at the honda dealer from California. The car is well maintained. I changed oil every 3K, changed transmission fluid every 50K and replace timing belt and water pump once. I am still driving the car with 212,444 miles and going. Honda has excellent engine for the long miles as long as one does not misuse it or modify the engine. I put only genuine honda parts on the vehicle. I would buy nothingelse but Honda.
    Visitor, Louisville, CO, January 20, 2012 11:43
    my questions is this..I have a 1996 honda civic ex with 69,000 miles that I inherited. IT is a Michigan car, and a mechnic where i live in colorado just discovered that the front subframe needed replacement due to severe rust. My question is...at what point will i need a timing belt replacement and will it be a belt that needs replacement or a chain?
    Visitor, Augusta, ME, January 16, 2012 08:17
    I bought a new 2004 Civic EX Coupe. I now have 190,000 miles on it. I changed the timing belt at 120,000. It runs like a champ. I need to get a new bumper but thats it.
    Visitor, Royal Oak, MI, January 11, 2012 19:28
    I bought my Honda Civic Ex 2000 11 years ago. It is the best car I have ever owned. It has been to Mt. Rushmore and back. I have 238,800 miles on it and it runs like a top. I was at the Dealership twice in 11 years. Once to purchase the car and the second time because I left my gas cap off by mistake. They had to reset the computer. The paint job is flawless (it is Black) I would like to get at least another 100,000. Next summer I will be taking my Civic from Michigan to Oregon. I hope Honda does not follow other car companies and start ordering parts from China.
    barrybrent, Houston, TX, December 09, 2011 20:55
    ive owned my honda since it had 32 miles on it.i love my honda civic.only 3 sets of tires(had 18" aftermkt wheels when bought) the car is a bit hard on the front tires...have to keep them rotated, 1 Battery,changed the oil ea. 5000 miles(moble 1 syn),timingbelt/waterpump(at dealer)at 110000mls,had tranny serviced at 60000mls,tranny has always felt a little funny because of the 'grade'assit tranny brake. but never any serious problem other than the tranny dip stick blew out at about 70000 miles(honda dealer had never seen it) blew alot of tranny oil out.but not a problem because i caught it immed...the car now has 120000 miles and has never even had spark plugs(its time because it does miss a bit)i wouldnt trade this car for nothing...plan on souping it up a bit over the next few years...Go Honda!!
    Visitor, Young America, MN, November 30, 2011 18:15
    My 2004 civic 1.7 is a piece of crap . Blown head casket , blown exhaust manifold gasket at 185,000 Km . Get rid yours before 150,000 or you will suffer the same results as all do around this mileage .The engine is a lemon over 160,000 . Read the problems of this engine which are well documented . Honda will not help you in the least although they know very well of these problems . The manual tells you that they strengthened the engine in the new 2004's but Honda is full of bull . I will go back to Toyota or elsewhere but never again Honda . Read the problems with other models of Honda engines and beware .
    cmsmit05, Royal Oak, MI, November 14, 2011 22:21
    1989 Civic, whole chassy rusted out at just barely 100K and had to junk it. Also, no a/c, some electrical issues, too, radio dead, etc. Not happy. Engine and trans were okay, not great, despite being well-cared for.
    Visitor, Dacula, GA, September 26, 2011 11:06
    My honda has 103,825 miles and for about a year I have been having it over heat on me. Not all the time but when I have been on the highway for any legth of time it would over heat and I take it to a shop have thermostate replaced, everything else checks out. I does it again 6 months later and noone could figure out why. I googled the signs I have been having and found out that other 2005 Honda Civics have the same exact overheating issues with noone being able to figure out why. BLOWN HEAD GASKET! So beware if yours is overheating!
    Visitor, Metamora, OH, September 03, 2011 14:12
    i just traded my 88 chevy silverado for this 91 honda civic dx 4 dr. sedan and i am very very happy for the great fuel economy i'm getting. this was the reason i did the trade. i loved my truck but wasn't using it for a truck, instead just a means to get me to and from work. and with my 44 mile round trip commute each day, it was killing my wallet. the first thing i did when i got the honda was fill it up w/ premium gas, drain the trans fluid and replaced w/ honda atf, then i flushed the radiator. the engine oil was just changed about a month before i traded for it so that was nice and clean, i also changed out the fuel filter, too. so far i am very impressed w/ this little rice burner. my first tank gave me 35mpg... so my calculations show that i will be saving myself an estimated $400.00 a month on gas!!!! my next step is brakes, can't expect everything to be perfect on an older car i knew nothing about. it will prolly need rotors and pads i'm assuming, that's fine. i got the honda w/ only 109k which is low for the year... the paint is still very good. ofcourse i waxed it right away and much to my suprise, it cleaned up pretty well... it's got some rust and a few dings, but still looks respectable going down the road. i will stop back here and fill yall in how well/or not so well the civic is doing... thanks for reading...
    Visitor, Kansas City, MO, July 21, 2011 00:01
    I bought my 2005 Honda Civic LX on Dec 31 2004. I now have 169000 on this vehicle, most of the miles are hwy. I am just now starting to have some problems with this vehicle that could end up costing me some hefty amounts of money. Example of problems are electrical the dash board gauges are going to zero reading even though the dash lights stay on and at the same time the airconditioning stops working as well as the radio and clock go out completely, all of these problems are occuring while the vehicle is in motion at high speeds. If I turn off the headlights while I am driving then the radio and gauges work normally, but then I don't have any headlights. Also when the gauges are at zero the vehicle will not move in drive (automatic trans) when starting from a stop. Instead the vehicle reacts as if it were in neutral and reves up the rpms, however if I turn the headlights off then the vehicle will move as it should when in drive and the gauge begin to work properly let me remind you that these things are happening while driving at night. Another problem is that I just discovered that I have a crack in my exaust manifold.
    Visitor, Bath, PA, June 21, 2011 15:13
    I bought this car used and, so far, am very pleased. GPM? On the hiway, if I don't go over 57mph I get 42/43 mpg, at 65 I get 36mpg, at 75 I get 32 mpg. I stay in the right hand lane a don't get any sas from the truckers. I have 46K miles on the car. Bill Kirk
    wdirickson, Houston, TX, June 20, 2011 17:11
    This is my favorite car I've ever had. I plan on driving it into the ground, but I'll take darn good care of it along the way. The headlights are a pain in the ass to change because the wheel well blocks easy hand access. Great mileage.
    Visitor, Reno, NV, June 16, 2011 14:36
    okay with car
    Jgk1020, West Babylon, NY, June 12, 2011 20:28
    This car can take a licking and keep on ticking. I have had my Honda Civic LX for over 4 years and put over 57k on the odometer and this car has never failed me. From 3 years being in northern Vermont to the current year of the toils of the metro NY rush hours this car runs the same way it did when I first bought it new off the lot. My only complains about the car would be that I wish the road noise was significantly lower and that it could accelerate faster. Great car I hope to own many years to come.
    Visitor, Portland, OR, May 03, 2011 21:58
    Bought the car in 1996 with 17,000 miles on it. It now has over 218,000. I will not buy another car until it dies. I love it. It gets 42mpg when I drive on the freeway, just in town driving it's 32mpg. The trunk continues to amaze visitors when we pick them up at the airport and all their luggage fits. The fold down seat allows us to haul ladders, lumber etc. Kept the maintenance and oil changes regularly. Replaced timing belt twice, exhaust, clutch, breaks etc over the years. The seats have tears and it's looking pretty ratty as well as the flooring but still dependable. Last trip was a 2 week 2,800mi/drive. Would like to have it converted to all electric ... maybe some day.
    Visitor, Milton, FL, March 24, 2011 22:21
    I paid $600 for this car 6 years ago. Just this past week it passed 300,000 miles, and it's still going strong. If you know how to work on cars, this is the cheapest and easiest one in the world to fix. I've been hit, backed into trees, basically beat the crap out of it, and it still loves me. I'll never find another deal like this car, so I'm looking into restoring it to new(ish).
    Visitor, Bainbridge Island, WA, March 12, 2011 14:08
    I have a 1994 Honda Civic HB VX model, purchased new, now 17 years old. I don't use it for communting so it has only 91K miles on it. I've used synthetic oil in it since ~mile 45K and have kept up with routine maintenance. It required a modified oxygen sensor at mile 60K---a pricey little number at $375 because of its unique shape---and now requires a new timing belt---or at least I think that's the reason for the sudden drop in gas mileage to 36 mpg (whereas I routinely got 48-50 combined). Other than these wear-and-tear issues, this car has performed well--no major engine problems, satisfactory handling on highway or city streets. I plan to have it for another 17 years. Too bad Honda doesn't make the VX model anymore.
    Visitor, Acworth, GA, February 01, 2011 16:03
    I honestly have had very few problems with my car - the only gripe I have is that it didn't take long for some lights to burn out. Difficult ones to replace (of course) - the first was the gearshift light, then the mph/km and mileage reset button. I was able to replace the gearshift light (it was a blown fuse) but not sure how to replace the mph/km light and today (my car is nearly five years old, the left headlight (regular beam) went out. Now I am facing the challenge of replacing the light myself (which seems very difficult) or paying Honda a couple hundred to do both headlights at the same time! I love my car, don't get me wrong, but it is not easy to replace anything on whereas the Ford I had before was never a big deal. It is almost like they make so difficult that you have to take it to the dealer. Maybe that is their strategy? I just don't like waiting hours for one tiny thing to be replaced.
    Jeremy Maxwell Kramer, Venice, CA, January 11, 2011 21:18
    Had to replace Engine Mount at 30k miles. It would rattle and make a bad low grumble sound in Reverse. That's a tough $600 to drop on a non Warranty part of the Engine. Anybody else had similar problems?
  • 1992 Honda Civic
    rvirk, Alamo, CA, December 27, 2010 13:32
    This car has given me least problems. No major issues after all these years. I just get major services done from a local shop and that is it.
    Visitor, Saint Paul, MN, December 10, 2010 09:38
    I find my Honda to be the most expensive car so far to date. I have only owned it for 6 months and am looking to trade it in for a different model and make. It is very cheaply made.
    Visitor, Newport Beach, CA, December 10, 2010 09:38
    I'm the original owner. It's a 1997 Civic EX. The car has run like a champ from day one. Just stay ahead of the maintenance schedule; timing belt, water pump, drive shafts, brakes, oil changes, air and fuel filter changes. No problem. Major repairs done ; radiator @ 125k, clutch @ 225k, struts @ 215k, rear brakes lasted to 250K and drums were still good, changed boots on steering rack @ 260k, catalytic converter lasted to 274k!! At this point the steering is a touch clunky maybe the tie rod ends are finally due. Quality problems; AC is a little weak, but still on it's original charge, headliner is falling apart, water leaked into rt headlamp in the early years, rr camber a touch askew. Interior is becoming a bit noisy for my taste @ this point. Might be the tire selection.... Handles and runs superbly for a roller skate! You'll surprise people in faster cars through the twisty turns. Extremely dependable. Great for trafficy commutes.
    Visitor, Miami, FL, November 29, 2010 13:53
    Living in Nicaragua, I bought and Honda Civic Ex 99 that came from California, with a Total Loss Salvage title, took my chances and it is running like new and great phisical conditions, looks like new. What a great job you guys did. Pictures http://hondacivicex99.blogspot.com/
    Visitor, Algonquin, IL, November 26, 2010 19:56
    I bought my 2001 honda civic LX 4DR in january of 2008 not a single problem initially did alternator, battery etc but now if you see my car is excellent I like factory stuff and factory accessories. Have a complete original factory body kit, original alloy wheels, navigation, original dash trim kit. I always by geneuin parts & accessories and if you maintain it, it willnever give you any problem.
    DDover86, Montclair, NJ, November 23, 2010 08:54
    This is the most reliable car that I have ever owned. I would never buy anything else but a Honda from now on. The first 100,000 miles only needed routine oil changes. You absolutely could not beat it! If you want quality for your money, you want a Honda
    GraemeF, Blaine, WA, November 23, 2010 08:54
    I have the DX hatchback. I've had this car for 2 years now. Great gas mileage, reliable, even handles in the snow (manual trans.). Not the fanciest car I've owned, but it works without giving me a headache and maintenance is easy on this car. I plan on running this car into the ground in 15 years.
    Visitor, Madison, WI, November 23, 2010 08:54
    I got this car in June '06 with 168k mi on it. Now (Sept '10) it has over 200k mi and is still running great. The car has needed a few minor repairs (alternator '07, ignition coil '08, muffler '10), but has held up very well overall. Nearly all 92-95 civics seem to get rust above the rear wheels. This often leads to the clips that hold the bumper rusting out and a sagging of the bumper. I fixed this by drilling a hole through the bumper near where the clip was and running a zip-tie through it. This has held up for the past 2 years without a problem. Engine power is pretty weak, especially with the AC on, but you can't really expect much from a 1.5 L engine. However, the fuel efficiency is amazing. I usually get about 37-38 mpg in the summer and 30ish in the winter.
    Visitor, Elizabethtown, NC, November 23, 2010 08:53
    185,000 Miles.. 5sp Civic Lx.. Head gasket and radiator.. paid 300 buxs 4 it and spent 200 bucks on the Rad and gasket, timing belt and water pump.. The best 500 dollar car ive had and it gets 40-43 mpg. The body is cheap in my opinion and the interior sux..but MPGs makes up for it..( did all the work myself )
    Visitor, Avant, OK, November 15, 2010 02:07
    its cooool model of honda but its engine get dammn hot..
    Visitor, West Newton, MA, November 12, 2010 05:17
    Love the car, except for lousy a/c
    Unlimited Auto, Virginia Beach, VA, October 24, 2010 21:00
     Technician
    Very comfortable car, I have driven cross country twice in this vehicle and I am planning a third trip. Drives great, very reliable, good daily driver.
  • 1996 Honda Civic
    Unlimited Auto, Virginia Beach, VA, October 24, 2010 20:15
     Technician
    I love this vehicle, very easy to maintain and a lot of options available for different parts. Easy to modify or just keep stock, Honda scored big time with this vehicle.
    Visitor, Washington, DC, October 09, 2010 18:00
    I got a 1991 Honda Civic DX hatchback for free and absolutely love it. I get over 35 mpg driving around the city and over 40mpg on the highway. Not bad for a 20 year old beater! It sits 5 comfortably (7 including the penalty box), it's roomy, and it's reliable. I'm going to drive mine for as long as I can, and when it dies, I'm going to buy another one from rust-free Phoenix.
    Visitor, Ellicott City, MD, October 07, 2010 09:04
    Fluid like in the rake and pinion steering at 73K miles, very disappointing to have this expensive repair.
    raceoffroader, Aurora, CO, September 17, 2010 10:53
    Awsome styling with great gas millage, I'm a big Corolla fun, but I love civic's interior
    xoquixxoqafxo, Richmond, VA, August 30, 2010 21:45
    This car was bought with 50k on it by my bf in Feb 2009, today it has 90k and its been absolutely perfect. No problems what so ever except for regular maintenance. Left us stranded once because the original 5 year old battery failed but it lasted longer than average so I can forgive it. If you want a car that doesn't require much attention, gets 37 mpg average, and is a pleasure to drive, get a Civic!
    Visitor, Guilderland Center, NY, August 26, 2010 07:18
    its only good when its 2 years old. power windows is too slow, transmission feels a bit flimsy. engine oil leakage, power door locks doesn't work well. needs frequent maintenance. what a crap.
    brandi051, Marianna, FL, August 20, 2010 21:50
    This is my first car! I bought it brand new with 11 miles. It now ten years later has 330317 miles on it I have never had problems with it. I have now a/c went out. I would buy another! I love my HONDA!!!!
    Visitor, Los Angeles, CA, August 06, 2010 23:34
    I've had this car for almost 9 years and the transmission just failed on me without warning at about 94K miles. I also need new struts and break pads, so was just quoted $5K for repairs. I may junk it, as the blue book is 5K. Before that I had few problems. The interior, after 9 years, is showing definite wear/tear-- the molding on the outside starting to pop off, the vanity mirror flip up lids fell off, and the little coin basket broke off. The interior "carpet" like fabric on the doors started peeling up about a year ago, and the fabric has thinned on the roof, etc. Really disappointed I didn't get more out of this car. Get a 2000. Avoid this year!!
    Visitor, Buffalo, NY, August 06, 2010 15:02
    2005 Honda Civic. I bought my civic brand new with 2 miles on it. I've had it now for 5 years, and just had to replace the front brakes on it. I also just put on my second set of tires. The gas mileage is amazing, the car looks great, I just really love this car so much! I will run this car into the ground before I even think of getting rid of it.
    Visitor, Reno, NV, July 26, 2010 01:42
    I drove my '03 Civic LX off the lot with 6 miles on it. Currently, it has 155,000 miles on it. I have done a lot of driving in it from pizza delivery to 500 miles in a day roadtrips. I've spent a lot of time and money on regular maintenance: oil change about every 4,000 miles, 5th air filter, 3rd set of tires w/ balances each time, 3rd set of front pads/rotors (brake flush each time), 2nd set of back drums, mutilple flush jobs (3 coolant flushes, 2 fuel injection flushes, and 3 tranny flushes/drains). New timing belt, waterpump, and other belts. 3rd battery with maintenance and cleaning. 3rd set of sparkplugs, and more. At about 36,000 miles, the car wasn't shifting as smooth as it did when it was brand new. The dealer gave me a new tranny under the warranty rather than dissect the stock tranny. I just had a problem with the starter going out. I just replaced it over the weekend. I noticed it was really dirty and I'm thinking it became that way due to a newly discovered oil leak. It "looks" like it's coming out of the gaskets atop the engine but not sure. I'm really upset about this, as it's going to cost a lost to diagnose and repair. Also, around 110,000 miles. I noticed a crack in the exhaust manifold. Gas mileage has worsened but it still passes smog and works. I've been wanting to fix this for some time now, and the part seems to be running around $3-500. I don't think it should be too difficult to fix myself. The stock cd player broke instantly, and I haven't been able to listen to a CD in my car since... 2005? The front driver door keyhole is fickle and you have to struggle to get the key in. Also, one of the power windows won't roll down. Changing one of the headlights is a pain in the butt. I love the car a lot. I've driven it really hard and have actually taken it easy on it lately. It drives well in the snow. I'd like to believe it's been great to me and reliable. I guess I lucked out with getting a new tranny when it had low mileage. It has had problems (key hole, window and CD player), but the engine has never failed me.
    Visitor, Piscataway, NJ, July 18, 2010 13:13
    Good reliable car that will not let you down
    Visitor, Anderson, IN, July 12, 2010 23:44
    I love my 2004 Civic! Bought it new, has well over 100,000 miles, and it lasts and lasts, and still looks pretty darn good. Best buy I ever made.
    Visitor, Federalsburg, MD, July 10, 2010 12:29
    I have a honda civic LX brought it used a little over a year ago with over 100,000miles. Recently I have been noticing alot of problems for one my key stopped working in my doors, my clock; after a couple of days i subtracks mins., the seats(which are black) are really hard to clean they always look like a used lint brush, pulls off kinda slow. And the biggest most costly is my ignition switch just went up in my car($641 to repair). My steering wheel was locked at an angle making it super hard for the tow truck guys to lift it on the bed. Shifts kinda hard when going from 40 to 45mph. But other than the normal oil changes(that the car reminds u of with the engine light), brakes, headlight replacements; the normal up keep the igniton swtich is the only big repair ive had. But its only been a year and 4 months so who knows what else will happen
    Visitor, Henderson, NV, June 30, 2010 18:16
    Front brakes gone after 20,000 miles of mostly highway driving. That's outrageous, should last 40,000 miles or more. Honda just says, "Yeah we know about problems with the brakes on 2009 Accords, but Civics are fine". I don't buy that.
  • 2008 Honda Civic
    Visitor, Denison, TX, June 29, 2010 07:20
    2008 Honda Civic. I bought this new and love the reliability and mpg - 28/36 mpg. This is the 3rd Honda I've had (1987 accord, 2000 civic hatchback), and I must say quality at Honda is slipping. This one has had problems my others did not. The driver visor is broken (the dealer said they will replace as there have been many problems with them), and secondly, the engine has had trouble starting when the weather has been super cold. We live in Tx, so not too many cold days, but my other Hondas started like clockwork! But, overall it's still a great car. Just disappointed that Toyota is not the only car company that seems to be losing legendary quality.
    Visitor, San Marcos, CA, June 22, 2010 00:56
    i love my car,this car has now 260k miles and it still has the original transmision and engine.i am super happy with the auto.
    ramjothikumar, Santa Clara, CA, June 20, 2010 11:50
    Excellent cat. Though i bought it in 2007 as a commute car, i have taken it for 1000 mile long vacations trips. Amazing performance both functionally and leisure features as well. The A/C and sound system inside are amazing for a 97 model car.
    Visitor, Augusta, GA, June 19, 2010 10:31
    Computer program for antilock brakes is dicey.. my wife had a low speed accident because the brake pedal would not push down.....
    Visitor, Reading, PA, June 13, 2010 18:01
    my civic sucks i got it a week and my transmission went and now im waiting for two weeks and im pissed
    Visitor, Oklahoma City, OK, May 28, 2010 15:46
    my civic ex has been pretty reliable. i've always had the scheduled maintenance done as recommended and always taken it to a honda dealership for any thing needed done. one major problem i had at about little less than 100,000 miles driving on the highway, and out of nowhere, NO WARNING, no stereo, no air, and no gas pedal, i made it to an exit luckily, but then trying to get into a parking lot, was difficult because once i slowed for the exit, i could not accelerate, ended up having it towed, THEN maybe a month or two after that dead of winter, heater stops working, dealership supposedly fixed it by refilling some fluids, (yeah right) had to take it back 3 times, IT STILL did not work, after having to pay for my "fixes" each time, ($200-500), i finally went somewhere else where they fixed it no problem (problem with the radiator) (still paid almost $700.) The carpet in my floor board even with the floor mats, still has worn down to the point that when i have my foot on the gas pedal, my heel is on METAL, THROUGH THE MATS! When getting on the highway or trying to accelerate relatively quickly, i have to turn the a/c off then it still has a slight delay before it revs up and actually will take off. and my head lights/covers can not just simply be replaced with a new bulb, as of most vehicles, YOU MUST REPLACE THE ENTIRE HEADLIGHT ENCASEMENT! ($150.00 per side) so now, my headlights look so dim, i can not even tell whether i have turned them on or not! OH YES!, and my factory stereo that have by all means, given me several HOURS of non stop JAMMING , unfortunately now has to be beaten in order to spit out my CD's (quite hard), randomly changes channels ALL BY ITSELF ( no going over bumps, or pressing other buttons) , always to a static channel too (even worse) and at the start of the problems, the light that enabled you to see the clock and channels, (backlighting) at night, went out, with no mention in the manual of how to fix this light, resulting in no clock/time or seeing what radio station your changing through at night, now it has gotten so bad as to i have to hold onto the steering wheel and drive also while pushing as hard as i can with one hand on the faceplate area of the stereo, just so that it will let me change a setting, station, or play a CD, volume ANYTHING! because otherwise it will show absolutely nothing, therefore, does not receive or recognize anything you touch on it. (ends up like the game twister but with the fingers on one hand, without being able to look (due to concentrating on road as we all should). As long as you can deal with the above, i would recommend it for anyone looking into a smaller size car.
    Visitor, Ringgold, VA, May 24, 2010 17:52
    Excellent Vehicle, I bought it when it had 113,000 miles now it has 138,000. No Problem so far with anything. It's Stick Shift, great Pick up, great performance. I LOVE THIS CAR.
    Visitor, Lafayette, IN, May 13, 2010 11:38
    Great car! Just had a pricey 100k mile tuneup, but only standard problems for its age. The major problem I've had with this car was the AC. First it plugged upp and leaked all over the passager seat floor then it needed to be recharged. Minor problems include a buggy driver side window that sometimes sticks while rolling up. Especially in the rain. Probably electrical problem.
    Visitor, Kunkletown, PA, May 10, 2010 17:16
    I have 112000 miles and now the engine run rough and do not know why. Factory rear camber setting were bad and could not be adjusted. Spent 300 dollars on rear control arms that could be adjusted plus 79 dollars for alignment. Went thru alot of tires. Nothing like my 03 honda. 279000 miles and still running better than the 07. Go figure.
    Visitor, Longview, WA, April 25, 2010 00:21
    i have had a car like that last me for 8 years with only the usual mainents
    Visitor, Chicago, IL, April 22, 2010 11:31
    It's like the everyready battery! It keeps going and going! Had a Ford previously and it was a good solid car with more OOMPH than the Civic, but at 70K the interior hardware came apart and about every 30K the brakes needed work. Not this car, it is solid. I am at 120K and brakes after only one revamp are still good.
    Visitor, Wellsburg, WV, April 17, 2010 16:14
    I love my civics. this is my 3rd one. It now has 60000 miles on it and runs like a new one. Only problem I have is the suspension. It does not ride like an accord. But its great. Keep oil changed very 300 miles and it will take care of you. A good quality oil. I use Castrol GTX 5w20. GO HONDA
    Visitor, Cleveland, OH, April 17, 2010 11:16
    Still a very reliable car at 100,000 miles, fun to drive and economical.
    Visitor, Cleveland, OH, April 17, 2010 07:37
    A fun, reliable and economical car! At 100,000, still looks and runds great, with only a very few minor problems.
    Visitor, Pittsburgh, PA, April 12, 2010 17:25
    Great Car, but electrical problems and high cost to repairr
    Visitor, San Jose, CA, April 11, 2010 13:20
    good
    Visitor, Fresno, CA, March 30, 2010 19:25
    Great Car, fun to drive and amazing gas mileage.
    Visitor, Apopka, FL, March 28, 2010 13:55
    Love my 95 eg coupe
    Visitor, Alto, GA, March 25, 2010 09:47
    great car!!
    EFoss, Bakersfield, CA, March 20, 2010 22:29
    We bought our 1991 Honda Civic back in 1996. We wised up and have been keeping up the basic maintenance. It's now al bit over 120 thousand miles and going strong. We did upgrade the AC to the newer type which should keep our cost down for refilling the coolant. It's now March of 2010 and we're extremely happy with our choice of car and we hope the old Bear Car will keep going for a long time to come.
    Joe Langan, Roscoe, NY, March 06, 2010 01:38
    One of the best automobiles I have ever owned. Will have a Civic as long as they keep running like this. Nothing beats a Honda
    Nothra, Tempe, AZ, February 28, 2010 22:03
    Had no problems up until about 90k miles. My AC started binding up, which froze the drive belt and fried the alternator, which took out the battery. All told the damage came up to $2000 in one go. I live in Phoenix, but I tried to use the AC sparingly and just open up the windows so the AC dying was a surprise. Not the most pleasant, but overall it has been a great little car.
    Luvraro, Mosier, OR, February 24, 2010 07:38
    293,000+ miles and I have had brakes and tires repaired or replaced. My largest expense on this car has been having a mouse nest removed from the heating system. My highest gas mileage has been 47 miles per gallon, on cruise control at 55 miles per hour. I love this car!!!
    wageslave, Castleton On Hudson, NY, February 14, 2010 20:19
    Very solid car. Nothing but scheduled maintenance, and normal maintenance w/150K, e.g., shocks, oil pan gasket, exhaust, etc.
    CarGuy22, Sharon, WI, February 09, 2010 14:40
    I have a 1997 Civic EX Sedan and LOVE IT. I commute 100 miles a day for work and this car has been great. It has 214,000 miles and still runs great. To make my commute more comfortable I replaced the front seats with seats from an Acura Integra. Huge improvement. I also tinted the windows and installed a remote start for the cold winter mornings. If I need any body work done to it I buy my repair supplies from Auto Body Toolmart and fix anything that needs fixing.
    geoff18, Long Beach, CA, January 18, 2010 12:45
    For the money and for what this car is, I am very pleased. Its certainly not a luxury vehicle, but I didn't pay for a luxury vehicle. I have 60K and thus far have had no major issues or unreasonable maintenance issues.
    spyrofae, Bloomington, IL, January 12, 2010 10:51
    I've had this car since college, 2 moves (NC and MD) and now with 2 kids, and am up to 107,000. It's a great, if basic, car. My Civic has had the muffler replaced (salty roads in MD) but no other major repairs, easy to care for, and runs wonderfully. Good for city commutes and long distance trips. The only change I would make is for more power to the engine. Getting it to speed up quickly, or up hill, requires turning off the a/c and really working the gas.
    robertfletcher, Marysville, WA, December 28, 2009 17:23
    great car just needs a few upgrades
    Rodney5950, Fort Belvoir, VA, November 29, 2009 19:40
    Excellent marks for this car. Suprisingly comfortable for its small size and enough engine horse power to get up and go when needed. My only complaint is the transmission shifts stiff in and out of 1st gear. Hopefully, this is normal but I would think it would shift silky smooth in any gear.
    brakes, Ashland, MO, November 27, 2009 00:13
    good car
    vinayrana1993, Plattsburgh, NY, September 01, 2009 19:09
    Excellent car. Very reliable the car now has about 150,000 miles and is still in perfect condition.
    Giabella, Nanuet, NY, August 29, 2009 10:47
    3rd Civic I've owned. Great car. Wish they still made the hatchback. Just wish the seat material was a little tougher.
    aleen_o, Costa Mesa, CA, August 18, 2009 23:35
    1990 Honda Civic Hatchback with 165,000 miles still gets great gas mileage and needed nothing til 19-years-old a new clutch and transmission (with a 5th gear, I'll never be without again!). Great reliable roomy car, I'd buy one again (but not the new Civics--too small, all airbag dashboard, small windows/blind spots and less cargo space). I'd love another Civic Hatchback 10 years old or less. Minor Drawbacks: LOW RIDER scrapes bottom; wipers poor; small tires to inflate often; mechanics always overfill the oil (takes only 3.5 quarts); A/C strains uphill so I hit the condenser button off and on; brakes shudder; stinks on startup (per the Manual); cabin noisy and rides a bit rough though from 1990 has Accord suspension, but hey, every car's got some flaws, and these are minor for a car that never lets this gal down! :)
    squtront, Northbrook, IL, July 14, 2009 10:12
    First new Honda Civic for me just 3 years old this month & with 31000 miles. My only costs are oil changes @ 5000 & rotate tires @ 10000. Best car I've ever owned and in my 72 years I've owned quite a few. Mileage on hwy tops 42mpg and in the summer around town 33mpg. Ride is a little choppy, my last car was a Lincoln LS, so it takes awhile to get used to but on long road trips, 1700 miles,I had no back problems or leg cramps. My wife drives a '97 Civic with 68000 miles and it still gets 28-30 mpg around town, mostly short trips.
    Boredcivic, Livonia, MI, June 19, 2009 10:11
    Cheap, economical car with no bells or whistles. In fact, the car really is just that a car. Nothing more. Its features are limited, and it shows. Pros: it is cheap and easy to park, does not attract attention. Cons: way underpowered (you need to shut off the A/C to accelerate uphill), and forget passing in tight spots; Hard to get in (it is a car designed for the ave. height of Asians); rides like a pet rock (I can feel the road through the floor and seat as if I am reading braille with my feet and bum).
    debdebtig, Barrington, NH, May 14, 2009 09:10
    This has been one of the most reliable cars I've ever owned. I've had very few problems with it and would definitely buy another one.
  • 2008 Honda Civic
    A1950, Mesa, AZ, April 12, 2009 09:05
    I purchased this car on Valentine's Day at CarMax. I really like the comfort, and reliability of this car. The stereo system is awesome and parking is a breeze. Because of the short front end, one cannot see how close you are when parking, and I underestimate the distance! But, I think it is my poor depth perception...LOL! I also found it in my favorite color: Metallic Blue! I've only put 802 miles on it in 2 months, so repairs have not been an issue. Great car, I will have this one for along time. Had my 1995 Camry 14 years before I traded it in for the Civic, and it STILL ran great!.
    smokediver1809, Leetonia, OH, April 09, 2009 05:09
    This is one of my favorite car to drive, with manual transmission you have alots of fun drive it. But the only problem I have is finding parts for my wagon.
    nancysid, Fort Lauderdale, FL, April 06, 2009 11:57
    i inherited this car from my daughter when she bought a new 07 civic. she purchased this car new (her first car), and i believe she maintained it fairly well. it is pretty rough outside (red paint in florida sun) but still nice inside. i like driving this car better than our 04 accord. it handles really well. i had some a**h*** in a beemer tailgating me coming off I95, but he kind of disappeared when i took the exit at 65! i might keep this another ten years unless i find a nice crx.
    LBJ, Hiram, ME, February 18, 2009 18:35
    I purchased a used 1998 Honda LX - 150,000. one month later I had to ferret out a worn wire casing causing a ground. Two sources helped Hondatech and alldata. I am annoyed by the electrical issues, however, the car handles well - fits me comfortably at 6 ft tall- and gets an average of 42 mpg.
    Robert Isbell, Alameda, CA, February 02, 2009 17:50
    This has been one of my favorite cars. Great power, great handling, great gas mileage and good looks too. Easy to maintain and fun to drive. The only issue I had was the brake rotors would warp and cause the steering wheel to shake when braking at high speeds.
    volvodude, Los Angeles, CA, January 05, 2009 09:11
    This was an excellent commuter car. No frills but it worked consistently with no major problems. The paint has begun to sunburst a little bit but overall was definitely reliable.
    cynthzuehl, Corpus Christi, TX, December 24, 2008 07:39
    This care is awesome bought it used it is awesome shade of bubble gum pink. It now has 200,000 miles on it. of course routine break tire and suspension replacement. I noticed some people said that their steering wheel shakes REPLACE BREAKS! Your car does need love and care as with any car does, replace your breaks people! I just replaced mine for the first time this year I let them get too bad. I put 600 miles a week on it...little trooper. The hood mount just broke the latch shattered this week, I hit a seagull last summer and it finally gave way. The stock stereo has awesome base and all, my friends love it, it has a cassette player and cd player too!!!! I have the LX model. When I buy a new car one day years from now I will only buy Honda. THis car still gets 35-40 miles a gallon! (with a good tail wind or drafting 40! lol).
    abcs, Seattle, WA, December 23, 2008 22:13
    Hybrid model. Once you get used to the "auto stop" feature, it's challenging to engage it in the so-many instances that you find yourself stopped. Getting it started from auto stop is best if one pretends like it's a manual transmission. The car handles well, accelerates smoothly enough (adequate but not great power), and the MPG excels with the better weather (in cooler and/or inclement weather, the MPG drops due to Honda's A/C being used to clear the Honda-typical window fogging). The only oddity is that there's no audible warning if you happen to leave your lights on, and the battery goes dead fast. But, a standard vehicle can be used to recharge it. Due to its compact size, only the driver has a hand rest. Black dash attracts dust. To change oil, a plastic panel below engine needs to be removed, but easy-to-break plastic grommet-like attachments make it costly to do yourself at $3 per x10. Best to pay to have a professional handle it. A nearby dealer (Klein) fortunately has a package plan where changes are $20 per.
    Ladybug Driver, San Francisco, CA, December 22, 2008 10:00
    What a fantastic little workhorse! I love this car for its reliability and excellent gas mileage - it never ends up in the shop. The repair and maintenance on this car is most affordable (that's because it really never needs any repairs). For the amazingly low price, I think the car is designed nicely - and it's easy to park in a big city. Both the hybrid and gas version have excellent gas mileage.
    hemicuda, San Mateo, CA, December 09, 2008 15:33
    Bought this car for my mom in 1995 and she's put 48,000 miles on it, changed the brakes once and the battery. very reliable car!!
    sarahe, Laguna Beach, CA, November 03, 2008 20:31
    This is a great car. It rides better than I thought, the brakes are great, the electrical system has never been a problem, and it has great AC and heat!
  • 1992 Honda Civic
    retiredcatlady, La Verne, CA, November 01, 2008 11:11
    This is the best ever car I've owned. It still used freon and I should have upgraded when I had the chance, but was living Oregon and didn't use AC that much. I have 145,000 miles on it and still runs like a dream. 30mpg in town and 40mpg on the freeway.
    MetFan, Fort Lauderdale, FL, October 30, 2008 18:31
    great little car, super on gas and very economical!
    94 civic, Newbury Park, CA, October 28, 2008 22:28
    over 250,000 miles with no major problems. Have had the water pump replaced once and and ignition coil, That is it. I keep waiting for this car to die so I can get a new one but it just keeps going.
    rdude135, Alameda, CA, October 07, 2008 16:30
     Journeyman
    This EX Civic has been a good car. The interior has held up well, but the paint on the hood shows signs of checking. The steering wheel shakes when I step on the brakes and that has been an issue since I can remember. The clutch and drive train have worked flawlessly. With over 150K on the car the engine uses oil, and I have to keep a close eye on the level. Overall the car has been great. I definitely will purchase another Honda when I look for another car.
    Andy Y, Walnut Creek, CA, September 25, 2008 15:15
    This was my first new car and I love my car! I had the problem with my sun visors and the dealer took care of me. I've had one leak from my timing chain tensioner cover (warranty) and I just replaced the tires. With the synthetic oil I'm getting 33-35 mpg each tank! Sometimes the AC takes a little long to get cold but I'm really nit picking
    benlat, Portland, OR, August 23, 2008 08:16
    The Honda is excellent! The only problem is the exhaust, I have had it repaired FULLY three years ago and its falling apart again. other than that, the car always runs and never has any problems. Its been 5 solid years! !