Auto Systems and Repair: Heater Core
Symptoms of Wear or Failure
- Little or no heat
- Coolant leak under the dashboard
- Windows may fog up
- Sweet smell inside the vehicle
- Mysterious coolant loss
Related Repair Advice
- Some vehicles may require removal of the dashboard to replace the heater core
- Some vehicles will require the evacuation and recharging of the air conditioning system, which can increase the cost of repair
- We recommend using a high-quality replacement heater core. Cheap heater cores tend to leak and not last very long.
- The heater hoses should be inspected when replacing a heater core. Problems with the heater hoses can cause similar problems to a failing heater core and are less expensive to correct.
- Worn engine mounts allow the engine to move more than normal, which can damage heater core connections. Worn mounts should be replaced to avoid damage to the new heater hoses.