Audi Cabriolet Reviews

Audi Cabriolet Reviews and Owner Comments

I have driven my 94 Cabriolet 16 0f its 21 years since 1999 (90,000 mi. then, 155,000 mi. now). The basics have been very reliable. The electrical stuff not so much. I have averaged only 4,000 mi/yr with this vehicle as I ride my motor and bicycle, too. Things that have performed poorly include the automatic top, I have raised and lowered it manually since its newly replaced ($1300)computer failed early on. It doesn't take more than a minute for me to do it manually. The cruise control computer also failed; never has been repaired; the CD player and the speakers are crap. The automatic antenna has been problematic. The two lower of four fan speed switches gave up the ghost many years ago. The heated leather seat elements failed and the seat tilt releases haven't worked for a while. The rear plastic brittle window has been replaced by me twice with new plastic hand sewn and sealed into a 1" border left from the old window. Dealer labor cost of replacing the dealers $600 piece of plastic is another $600,iirc (it requires a special alignment tool). A local upholsterer sold me a large enough piece for $15 and it is weathertight. Never has had or needed any work done on the engine, knock on wood, during my ownership except regular oil and quality oil filter changes as well as ATF and Coolant changes. I did once replace the oil pan after bottoming out. I changed the spark plugs once and added some fuel treatment which fixed a rough idle once. The timing belt, waterpump and thermostat were replaced just before I took possession and need to be done soon. The transmission was replaced recently which was probably due to a leak I caused when changing the fluid/filter but technicians never have dialed in correctly the new one and they are, by reputation, a very good shop. I live with the slightly jerky shifting. I have replaced the front struts, axles (CV joints), and some other worn front end parts and the front brake rotors/ pads once as well. The brakes are awesome. This vehicle has plenty of hp at 174, can do 80mph redlined in 2nd gear, and with its short wheelbase and wide track, handles the twisties great. It has had a very small PS fluid leak for a long time. Currently it needs a new engine coolant temperature sender. She is still a 21YO stylish beauty especially with her top down and I ride her hard when the coast is clear. With the windows and windscreen up and heater on high, this convertible with coat, gloves and hat is quite comfortable on a dry winter NW day. The top is of very high quality, quiet and insulated well and so is warm or cool because the heater and a/c is more than adequate. This vehicle (not mine) should be a collector car. It was way ahead of its time. I have even used it as a work vehicle in good weather as loading tools, supplies or groceries, a bicycle or even some furniture is a snap when the top is down. Some body parts are very hard or impossible to obtain these days
My 1994 Cabriolet has 63,000 miles. I purchased it new. Timimg belt has never been changed. When would you suggest changing it? What would be approximate cost?
We have a 1996 Cabriolet and every single thing works still! We need to replace the plastic rear window thats it!
This car has been almost problem free since purchase (2001). Regular service and garaging have been responsible for most of that condition, however no major repairs have been necessary since then.