Reviews for Acura TL years:

Acura TL Reviews and Owner Comments

Acura TLOwner Reviews (75 reviews)
    Visitor, Denver, CO, April 14, 2014 15:41
    Had no problems at all. Excellent car!
    Visitor, Denver, CO, April 04, 2014 16:45
    Absolutely love this car. 2010 TL SH-AWD w/ Tech. Best car I've owned.
  • 2012 Acura TL
    Visitor, Orange, CT, March 04, 2014 19:02
    I have Acura TL, 2012 FWD. I do not know if anybody else have the same problem as me, but would like to find out. I think Acura has a serious problem with leather. Yes, leather on the seats.It is bulging up in no time. It is depressing to see-mostly on the driver seat since it is used most, and I am not overweight.
    Visitor, Marysville, WA, December 16, 2013 17:48
    Got my 2000 TL with 80K miles. Put in new transmission at 100K but has been trouble free since...have 230K now. I love the power and handling of this car. Wish I could find one garaged with 0 miles.
    Visitor, Knoxville, TN, September 21, 2013 12:27
    I love this car. I have 113000 miles on it, replaced tires once. I have air whistling through the drivers side door but dealer says they are not sure what it is so I did not try to get it fixed. The interior passenger side rear door handle leather is pulling away (it looks like it is coming unglued). The drivers seat has a few small tears where the seat belt buckle hits it. The trim around the outside of the windows is rippling(it has already been replaced once) and my paint is showing wear. The gear shift light on the console is out. Other than the above I have not had any major problems with this vehicle.
    Visitor, Houston, TX, August 08, 2013 10:50
    Purchased 2002 Acura. I asked the dealership about issues I had read about with transmission problems and was assured these few incidents were operator errors and not an Acura problem. Two replaced transmissions later was a costly error to realize I was duped into purchasing an overpriced piece of metal.
  • 2012 Acura TL
    Visitor, Newmarket, NH, March 29, 2013 03:53
    Have the 12 acura TL tech. and love it. This car will do everything, and when you think your done knowing it all, something else happens that you didn't know it could do. HAHA! Love this car, and it hauls the mail too!!! Great car for people in snow country with the front or all wheel drive. The white pearl color is great and not an extra charge like all the other car companies charge. Come on, white is $400 or $500 more? Not Acura.
    Visitor, Utica, NY, March 11, 2013 10:34
    I bought her with 52k in 2008 for a 40k a year job,and now she has 212K leaks power steering fluid, new rotors, pads and tires times 2 and thats it, best car I've ever owned.
    Visitor, Cupertino, CA, December 29, 2012 11:02
    what a car ! bought it new in 1996 - still runs great with 240,000 miles on it; oil changes, brakes and tire replacements only to date.
    Visitor, Round Rock, TX, October 31, 2012 13:39
    I bought the "05 in October of '04. It currently has 62,000+ miles. I am on my second replacement battery, my first set of replacement tires and it needs a door lock actuator replaced along with the hood struts. I am taking thr TL in this week to have an engine mis-fire checked out that happened recently under heavy acceleration and did the same about 3 years ago -- was told at that time that it probably just needed the soot blown out of it. My only complaint is the drivers side door has always had a slight wind leak and the selling dealer ststed they could not find it?? Car is hardly ever parked outside so no issues with paint fade or interior dash cracks, etc. It is black with black leather interior and I still get compliments on what a beautiful car it is. Performance is great and gas mileage is exceptional except when my foot gets heavy.
    Visitor, Gloucester, MA, July 24, 2012 11:24
    I am a "car guy". At first, I wasn't crazy about the front grill, but it really has grown on me. The ride quality is fantastic- the Nav system is first rate. I compared several cars in this price range used- 08 G35X, 09 TSX, IS250 awd, VWcc Mazdas, fords ect.. If you like the look, the decision is really easy as this is the most car you can buy for the money. Forget BMW, Audi or MB- even if they drive as well, the cost of ownership will kill you in the long run. The lexus comes close, but I couldn't find the color/ equipment combination at my price. I love the tl- No problems so far!
    Visitor, Clairton, PA, June 10, 2012 01:20
    I have had my Acura TL now for 5yrs now i had the transmission replaced at 75,000 miles by the dealership. so far no problems just paid it off. now i have 140,300k working on getting the timming belt and water pump change so i see if i can put another 140k on it.
    typool68, Spring Grove, PA, March 02, 2012 18:12
    This is my first AND last Acura! So tired of the transmission problems that I will not buy another. Heck, at least Hyundai stands behind their transmission to 100K miles and it would be a heck of a lot cheaper!
    Visitor, Bronx, NY, February 20, 2012 18:12
    my check engine light came on i took it to the shop where they discovered two codes reading that i have misfires on cly 1&3 i changed everything on cly 1&3 sparkplug,coilpacks;and the cly its self and can you believe that the engine light is still on i dont know where else to look,and the shop doesnt know neither? please any input from anyone is highly appreicated,
    FredM123, Gilbert, AZ, November 26, 2011 20:15
    We bought our 2003 TL in early 2002 and it has operated trouble free (with the exception of rotors) for 150,000 miles. The transmission had the recommended recall work performed. What experience have others had with high mileage TLs? Is transmission replacement expected at 200,000 miles? Thank you.
    Visitor, Statesville, NC, September 08, 2011 02:45
    honda and acura automatic tranny are pure junk. i've a 2005 acura tl and the tranny just went out in it @ 85000 miles. i thought honda had gotten the tranny issues fixed in later models. bunch of BS...will never buy another automatic honda or acura again!!!
    Visitor, Jackson, WI, August 16, 2011 17:05
    My car has 217000 miles on it and I am just now replacing the transmission. I hope to get over 350K. I drive about 40,000 miles per year.
    totalAcuraTL, South River, NJ, August 15, 2011 15:25
    Love my TL, its a smooth ride and sounds great. I recommend it to anyone who wants a sporty look along with a lot of comfort.
    Visitor, Corona, CA, August 14, 2011 15:04
    I love this car. Bought new in 2010 and it's been awesome.
    Visitor, Poughkeepsie, NY, August 02, 2011 20:50
    Body has some paint discoloring. Needs tranny rebuild/replace again, check engine is repeatedly coming back on after corrections made, car gives good heat in winter and excellent a/c in summer, exhaust and emissions are ok so far, it has a serious right pull in the suspension. Getting ready to pull tranny for a trip to Georgia so my brother can do a complete rebuild.
  • 2007 Acura TL
    tlindgre, Wayzata, MN, May 05, 2011 11:34
    Excellent car! Apparently Acura has not heard enough about the doors swinging back at you when getting out of the car - still happens in 2007. (Did not happen in 2003). The right window sticks sometimes ... in the Winter ... brrr! Gas mileage is good - 28-29mpg. Buerkle Acura in Brooklyn Park, Minnesota is the very best for sales and service! (no relatives work there)
    Neena, Gouldsboro, PA, March 10, 2011 11:52
    Purchased a used 05 TL @ 8 months ago & put @ 20k on it so far. I really like this car! It rides nice & I have not had any major issues with it. Love the handling, the style, and the acceleration & power are super-fly! The interior.....I have noticed a rattling noise coming from the back of the car while driving. Sounds as if I am constanlty driving around with an egg carton in the back seat. I don't care for the doors either.... When exiting the car they tend to come right back @ me & slam me in the leg. Silly complaints for now, but overall it's a nice car!
    Visitor, Houston, TX, March 08, 2011 09:51
    Great Car wood grain and leather seats
    Visitor, Hayward, CA, February 24, 2011 15:49
    I drive my Acura 1999 tl still running great!the nly problem is,increase the less miles per gallon from 25 t0 20 miles now
  • 2001 Acura TL
    margieb, Orlando, FL, February 22, 2011 13:33
    This is an EXCEPTIONAL car now 10 years old. I have owned 2 Acuras (do miss the CL). Now have TL. Even dealer prices are comparable to outside mechanics! I love this car. Usual maintenance....
    Visitor, Lexington, NC, February 22, 2011 11:11
    transmission has already been replaced once and now it's acting up again-the blower motor fried had to replace it and 3 other parts-now front end squeaking-i always heard acura and hondas were the best- thought about trading it in on a 2010 civic until i checked out owner reviews
  • 2008 Acura TL
    Visitor, Oceanside, CA, February 05, 2011 18:32
    this car is one of the most amazing cars ever!!!! its luxury sport it is amazingly fast and it is loaded with technology. it never breaks the only thing its worked on for is the oil change or a flat tire shows how Japanese cars will take over the market with their reliability I will always be an Acura buyer and driver
  • 2008 Acura TL
    Visitor, Morgantown, WV, December 14, 2010 18:14
    Just bought a 2008 TL, which is a wonderful car to drive! The only problem is that I experienced a total power loss on two occasions; each time the power came right back on. Have a new battery, and had it and everything else checked by an Acura dealer, but they were unable to diagnose the problem. Reading some of the Acura on-line forums, seems like older models (1999 for example) had a recall for the electrical part of the ignition switch which caused a similar power loss problem....
    AcuraSonny, Joplin, MO, December 10, 2010 16:38
    This ride is Boss!! Cool and luxury too. As with any vehicle, there are some minor problems to deal with but well worth it. Tranny and suspension does seem to be a weak point but fixable. Not as quiet inside as I like but that too can be fixed. Probably with some Dynamat lining. For the most part, a great ride.
    Visitor, Baltimore, MD, December 06, 2010 17:59
    great car i love it.
    elija, Leonia, NJ, December 05, 2010 13:56
    I like it, fun to drive.
    Visitor, Englewood, CO, November 30, 2010 08:55
    Horrible car. Replaced the replaced the transmition at 50,000 and the drive chain at 72. This does not include steering issues , cv joints and standard checkups. Will sell and get a work horse-subaru, toyota or ford.
    Visitor, Folsom, CA, November 25, 2010 21:52
    My Acura TL 3.2 is the best car I have ever owned and at 76 I've had a lot of cars. I bought it from my neighbor with 12147 miles on it. It now has 46720 and I have done nothing to this car except normal maintenance. I get 31 miles to the gallon on the road. The in town mileage is not terrific (15 to 17) but also not that bad. They recalled my car for a tranmission part addition at 16000miles. I love this car. It doesn't come any better than this.
    cocopuff, Brooklyn, NY, November 25, 2010 20:50
    I've just bought this Acura 2000 3.2 tl as is from a used car dealer in Brooklyn, they was suppose to fix the radio. Now they say that I have to wait for a code to get the radio going. I have no radio working in my car. So far from what I've experience with this car is that it runs ok for now. This car has 158,000 miles on it and all the lights stay on in the dashboard. I have no Ideal what thats all about.
    Visitor, Bradenton, FL, November 23, 2010 13:29
    I bought a low mileage '05 TL at the beginning of '09. It has been a fantastic and reliable car so far. I love the style and performance. My only complaint is the dashboard. If you read reviews on this you will find it is an all to common problem for the '04 and '05 TL's to experience major cracks in the dashboard. Acura needs to step up to the plate and offer a voluntary recall.
    Visitor, Panama City Beach, FL, November 23, 2010 13:29
    The interior sucks. Mine and many other owners of the 05 acura dashboards are cracking. There should be a recall. It is ridculous to pay so much for a car that is defective. So far everything else has been working fine.
    crash52, Jacksonville, FL, November 21, 2010 22:52
    great & solid machine; comfortable seating, climate control, GPS, & audio integrated perfectly
    Visitor, Irvine, CA, November 20, 2010 13:42
    I bought mine new and have 79k miles so far. Only major repair so far has been a broken motor mount. I'm even on my original set of brakes but that might have more to do with my driving style (I don't stomp on them). Just oil, lube, filter changes and that's it.
    Visitor, Roanoke, TX, September 30, 2010 10:41
    2002 TL Type S bought in April 2001. Car #7 off the assembly line. 9 reliable years. Still drives and looks great. I checked out the new TLs at the dealership last time I had my car serviced. The new ones felt bulky and heavy. New design sucks. You wouldn't know if the car is coming or going.
    JT7, Charlotte, NC, September 16, 2010 04:42
    I bought my '97 TL 3.2 from a police auction. I got it so I wouldn't put a lot of miles on my other car. Now I love my TL. Runs strong, body in great shape, p/windows a little slow, don't know if wiper motor or switch is going out. And a/c fan motor going out (will replace when tapping with rubber mallet doesn't work anymore). Had it for one year. My daughter was home this summer from college, I let hear drive, now she wants it. I would feel confident letting her drive it back and forth to college. That says it all.
    jamarbri, Hillsborough, NC, September 03, 2010 14:05
    My Acura has been great. Smooth, quite car. No major issues until now. A/C went out and I replaced it and still having the same issues of A/C not working when I stop. Other than that, this has been the best car I have ever owned! Has over 200,000 miles!
    Visitor, Plano, TX, August 29, 2010 13:04
    The 3rd transmission just went out in my 2002 Acura TL. Acura said it needs another transmission. transmission #1 = Original transmission failed at approx 35k miles transmission #2 = Failure at approx 90k miles + installed a new transmission and shift module and mod to lubricate Upper plate transmission #3 = Failure at 145k miles transmission #4 = at 145k miles (if I replace it) The car has 145k miles and otherwise in perfect condition. At 95k miles the 2nd transmission failed and a new transmission was installed along with a module with a new shift point. Acura said this would correct the transmission problem. They also had a recall that installed a pump that would lubricate an upper plate in the transmission. The latest transmission failure (3rd transmission failure) could be corrected by a 4th transmission. Acura said it needs a new $1200 module to change the shift points (this was installed after the last transmission). The new transmission will cost $4000 + the already installed shift module would cost a total of $5200 + Tax. The only place this car has ever been serviced was at Acura. I recently purchase a 2010 RL. After this experience with the 2002 TL, I regret purchasing the 2010 RL. I've asked Acura to help me with the cost of the new and 4th transmission. Will they??? and if yes how much????
    Visitor, West Orange, NJ, August 26, 2010 09:35
    230K miles and I just had the Trans overhauled for the first time. Aside from normal wear and tear items (Brakes, Timing Belt, and Tune Ups, this car has performed great and has been super reliable its entire time with my family. I would definitely consider another Acura,,,maybe @ 300k : )
    Visitor, Whittier, CA, August 12, 2010 12:52
    replaced transmission 2 times
    Visitor, Charlotte, NC, July 21, 2010 05:50
    200k miles
    Visitor, Stone Mountain, GA, July 14, 2010 19:23
    i've had my TL 3.2 since 1996, and has never had any major issues with it. Interior is still in excellent condition, Brakes can be noisy sometimes. 167,000 mile and still rides smoothly. I've loved this car.
    Visitor, Dedham, MA, July 14, 2010 11:40
    I have had to have my brake pads and rotors replaced twice since I bought the vehicle in 2005 and 11 months from the last time they were replaced I already need to do it again.
    Visitor, New York, NY, July 07, 2010 21:23
    Brooklyn.. code for the radio is o the back of the radio. You have to remove it to get the code. The dealership told me. Is anyone having problems wiht the selonoids? I just rebuilt my tranny but the heck engine light comes on and they have to replace them.
    Cream91, Augusta, GA, June 28, 2010 08:42
    Good car. 1996 Acura T.L 2.5. Only has 144k miles on it. Exhaust manifold system is still under manfac. warranty. Get yours checked out and fixed for free. Can add more horse power. Try buying a super charger. just released from japan as 06/01/2010. email me. if you have questions about this year and model. Knowledgeable. snapsnapdrive@yahoo.com P.S. Stay away from all Jiffy Lube Oil shops. They stripped my oil pan bolt and had to replace the whole thing. Of course I made them pay for it. How is $1,100 @ Acura dealship. I'm sure they will be careful now! lol. A+ for me! LMAO! Get all your oil changes @ Acura or Honda dealerships. The oil pan bolt on this car requires some type of washer that needs to be replaced and checked at every oil change. Found out from dealer week of 06/21/2010 (Week of $1,100 Jiffy Lube pay out) LMAO! (smile)
    Visitor, Jacksonville, FL, June 26, 2010 11:07
    Man I only paid $400 dollars for my 96 acura.... yea thats right four hundred dollars for it and it is the best car i have ever drove and it is very realiable I only had to replace the alternator in it. It has 190.000 miles and still drives smoothly
    Tebaz8584, Pompano Beach, FL, June 26, 2010 08:34
    I just bought my very 1st car, I've put a lot of thought into what I wanted and Acura was the best option to me. I love the luxury that comes from Acura and this body style is by far the best.
    francisdepaul, Vienna, VA, June 24, 2010 14:54
    Body and front bumper with long scratches.
    Visitor, Concord, MA, June 21, 2010 20:47
    I bought my 2002 Acura TL (with navigation) new in late 2001. It now has 253,000 miles and still runs and looks like new. It has been regularly maintained by the dealer who sold it to me. I hope it lasts another 250,000 miles. It is really a comfortable car and has never had any problems. I just can't see any reason to get a new one except for some additional safety equipment that is now available, such as curtain air bags. I guess I will just have to stay away from accidents!
    Visitor, Yakima, WA, June 19, 2010 22:46
    I bought my 97 Acura 3.2 Sedan about a year ago for $4,000 . It has been my third car and so far my favorite!!! On the highway this car is a dream; I hit 90 and wanted more! Once I'm out of college hopefully I'll be able to afford a 2010.
    sivan22, Murrieta, CA, June 04, 2010 10:15
    The car was given to me by my father in pretty good condition, however I found the air conditioning to die out at 150K miles.
    Visitor, North Bergen, NJ, June 03, 2010 09:56
    167,000+ Miles and still going. Great car, Reliable.
    Visitor, Davenport, FL, April 27, 2010 14:31
    overall great car!
    Visitor, Oswego, NY, April 26, 2010 08:57
    I love my acura tl but imust say i bought this car from an auction at around 143,000 miles and ive had to change all the computers, replace fan, water pump, timing belt, battery and the starter
    Visitor, Montclair, NJ, April 20, 2010 10:49
    250,000 miles and still running like new.
    bremarie225, Baton Rouge, LA, April 16, 2010 08:07
    I had this car for 10 years and it is the best. I have had minor problems and the engine is in great condition. The interior isn't the best because the leather seats are all cracked. I plan on replacing the motor when I get to 250,000 miles. Only 30,00 miles to go.
    Visitor, Rancho Cucamonga, CA, April 09, 2010 12:21
    In response to cocopuff in Brooklyn: Each radio has an assigned "code" as a security measure. That way if someone breaks in and steals your radio or it is disconnected for any reason (change battery, etc), then that code must be re-activated for the radio to work.
  • 2001 Acura TL
    MIZZOUNNC, Lumberton, NC, February 24, 2010 06:37
    Pushing 212,000 miles. Very dependable.
    ChipMunk, Brooklyn, NY, February 07, 2010 01:23
    I just bought a sliver 2002 acura tl 1-16-2010 when I first got in the mileage was 70079 and so far I have no complaints I love this car and I hope that I can keep it for a long time.
    zaragoza81, Wheeling, IL, December 19, 2009 18:13
    the best car i have bought i love my acura tl
  • 1998 Acura TL
    fara0092, Minneapolis, MN, December 11, 2009 00:45
    vehicle is excellent, I am planning to have this car for another 10 years.
    Ray82, Temple Hills, MD, October 21, 2009 12:18
    I love my car
    carldunniii, Bristow, VA, July 17, 2009 09:59
    Its an ok car. Not as fast as my old 2005 Acura TL but the technology in this car is very nice.
    slineaudi, Greensburg, PA, July 07, 2009 14:23
    Nice car. Watch out for rust issues around wheel wells, trunk, gas door as well as brake and exhaust repairs. A bit noisy on the road but nice fit and finish and Honda reliability!
    09TL_SHAWD, Playa Del Rey, CA, July 06, 2009 11:53
    Love this car, this is the 2nd TL I've owned. I owned an 04 as well. Compared to the 04, the 09 has lots more tech features that are great. They're thought out well and well placed. However, compared to the 04 there seems to be some bad decisions on outside vendors and manufacturing faults. I find this disturbing, however uncommon from Honda/Acura. My GPS screen is brighter on one side than the other. Not so much that there's something wrong, but still not perfect. My A/C system came with a small leak. This I found very annoying, as it takes at least 2 weeks after a dye injection to find and fix the leak. Also it speaks volumes about quality control at the plant that built the car. Overall I give this car an 8 out of 10. But I gave my 04 a 9.5 out of 10. So, yes I love my car, but something has happened to quality at honda this past year.
    no.gov, Saddle Brook, NJ, April 13, 2009 18:45
    Bought this car in March of 2009 with 115,000 miles on it. I have to say the car is great, the stereo is awesome (anyone that tells you the stereo doesn't "bump" enough is looking to rattle the screws loose, not actually listen to music. There is no AUX jack, but I'll live with the 6-disc changer and this is an '03. Leather interior is perfect, it's stretched and shows it's age but some leather conditioner really makes a difference. I've seen people complain that the car makes noise, but really the only noise is from the leather squeaking against itself as far as I can tell, and again if you listen to the stereo you probably won't even notice. I've also seen many people complain about the transmission being badly designed, and I believe it was recalled twice, but to tell you the truth if you buy this car chances are it has enough miles on it for you to notice any shift-delays or discrepancies on the test drive. Mine has plennnnty of miles on it and it shifts like a brand new car, whether I'm gunning it or just cruising. There is plenty of torque-steer if you let it know you're in a hurry so make sure you got both hands on the wheel when you punch it. My right front shock is leaking and needs to be replaced but it doesn't seem to be endemic of the car model. Automatic climate control works great and definitely warms up the car faster that I'd expect, and the seat warmers are a nice touch, although by the time the leather heats up in the winter you'll probably already be warm from the A/C. Auto-dimming mirror is a must-have in my opinion and this one works great, hell even the side-view mirror tilts down when in reverse to see the curb. The mirrors even have automatic heaters to get the snow off during winter. Plenty of space int he back seat, power front seats with 2 memory presets on the driver side. All in all I'd say it's a great car, well worth the money ($7200 after taxes for me) and still looks mighty nice for a 2003, put a Type-S OEM lip kit on this sucker and whatever other mods you like (nicer rims, headlights) and I still get nods when driving down the road. Can't recommend the car enough, just do your research. Oh, 2 down sides, car takes premium gas and if you punch the gas you will be filling up your tank probably twice a week. I do about 17miles to work and 17 more back and if I keep it at 70mph or below I'll fill up once every 5-6 days. Some people think that's great mileage but I come from driving a civic :) Cheers.
    vemulasri, North Brunswick, NJ, February 16, 2009 20:31
    I love this car.
    brickracer, Fremont, CA, January 04, 2009 20:07
    I bought the TL new and it is really excellent to drive. It has solid power and is very smooth to drive. One nice thing about this generation TL is that it is not all bloated like the new TL. Pretty easy to part the thing and it has just about every gadget you can think of. One problem I have had is that the automatic transmission and it did not shift right from day 1. After hassling my dealer for a while I got Acura to cover the repair which ended up being a new transmission. Besides that it's been a pleasure and has required no repairs, just scheduled maintenance.
    RyanAcura, Fort Worth, TX, December 01, 2008 11:44
    I love my 2004 Acura TL for two primary reasons: a wonderful 260-horsepower V6 and a lot of standard content for a good price. The TL is stylish, highly attractive and is loaded with features that complement both the performance and look. The cockpit is very unique to the TL; controls are well laid out and easy to use. The gages are in bright blue and red. The front seats are extremely comfortable and hold you place during quick turns. The backseats have more leg room than the Saab and CTS. The reliability factor played a large part in my decision to buy the TL. I have had only two major repairs done and both were recalls resulting in a reimbursement. I purchased my TL used and have been very satisfied. I have a long commute that requires a car with not only a comfortable interior and ride but a vehicle that will withstand abuse. Pros: Interior, power, quiet, features for the price, reliability, resale value. Cons: Trunk space is limited, back seats do not fold down
    patmannion, Capitola, CA, October 17, 2008 14:47
    I bought a second hand 1997 Acura TL. It has been a great car. I have 120,000 miles on my Acura. The car has had 40,000 trouble free miles under my ownership with minimal maintenance costs. The car gets about 25 miles to the gallon, has adequate power and handling, and great comfort. The body work and interior has held up great. I work on Japanese cars for a living and think these cars are hard to beat. The oxygen sensor is the only component that has failed but that is perfectly acceptable and replacement was not a major repair.
    michael2244, Exton, PA, August 21, 2008 03:58
    It's been a great car, but the exhaust system is very expensive to fix! The A/C blower went bad after 167,000 miles, and it took a day and a half to change it! Great mileage, a "Tiny Legend" my son calls it...