The muffler is an exhaust system component that reduces the noise produced by the engine. It’s located between the catalytic converter and the tail pipe.
Symptoms of Wear or Failure
- Louder than normal engine noise from the exhaust system
- Unusual smell from exhaust
- Rattle type noise from under the vehicle
- Vehicle may fail an emissions test
Related Repair Advice
- Failure of the exhaust system may cause exhaust gases to enter the passenger compartment. The exhaust gases contain carbon monoxide (CO), which can cause drowsiness and death.
- The exhaust hangers and mounts should be inspected whenever an exhaust system component is replaced