The exhaust manifold collects the exhaust gas from each cylinder head and routes it through the rest of the exhaust system.
Symptoms of Wear or Failure
- Ticking type noise, most noticeable when the engine is cold
- Unusual smell from exhaust
- Check Engine Light may come on
- Vehicle may fail an emissions test
Related Repair Advice
- An exhaust leak can cause incorrect readings from the oxygen sensor and should be repaired before replacing any other parts related to an incorrect fuel mixture
- When replacing the exhaust manifold gaskets, new bolts, studs, and gaskets should be used
- We do not recommend resurfacing a warped exhaust manifold, as the manifold will be prone to warping and cracking
- Failure of the exhaust system may cause exhaust gases to enter the passenger compartment. The exhaust gases contain carbon monoxide (CO), which can cause drowsiness and death.