Motor mounts are used to secure the drivetrain to the vehicle body/frame and protect it from engine vibrations. They consist of a rubber insulator between two strong metal brackets.
Symptoms of Wear or Failure of Motor Mounts
- Excessive engine vibration transmitted to the body/frame
- Clunking and/or excessive engine movement on acceleration
Related Repair Advice on Motor Mounts
- As with all rubber components, dry rot and age deteriorates the integrity of the motor mount over time
- A broken motor mount allows the engine and transmission too much movement and can cause potential damage to components that depend on a stable engine (e.g. axles)
- Excess engine movement caused by a failed mount can damage other mounts. When a failed motor mount is replaced, the other mounts should be inspected for damage