The mass airflow (MAF) sensor measures the mass (or weight) of the air as it passes through the throttle body to the intake manifold. It transmits this information to the engine control computer, which helps control the fuel-to-air ratio.
Symptoms of Wear or Failure
- Engine may run roughly or not at all
- Poor performance
- Excessive fuel consumption
- Check Engine Light may come on or blink
Related Repair Advice
- To prevent damage to the new mass airflow sensor, all dirt and debris should be cleaned out of the air filter housing and a new air filter installed
- Mass airflow sensors (MAF) are often replaced when the problem is actually a bad connector or the sensor wiring harness.
- High-performance style wet foam air filters are not recommended because they will damage the mass airflow sensor and cause poor performance
- The air duct work between the mass air flow sensor and the intake manifold should be inspected for damage whenever the sensor is replaced