Reviews for Lexus LS400 years:

Lexus LS400 Reviews and Owner Comments

Lexus LS400Owner Reviews (29 reviews)
    Visitor, San Jose, CA, July 25, 2013 22:25
    Update to my previous review Visitor, San Jose, CA, October 30, 2011 13:44 298,500 miles and rising. Original engine and transmission. I just changed the timing belt again (interference engine) and I had to have the crankshaft pulley replaced. Bummer - Still running strong though. I have to milk it though as I just purchased cars for my Wonderful wife and two kids. I recently changed to a high mileage motor oil mixed with Lucas oil stabilizer. I changed because the valves were starting to make a little noise and the extra viscosity helped a bit. I am changing back to a full synthetic (probably Mobil 1) along with the Lucas. This is an excellent combination for this car. I am hoping that I can milk it to 350,000 - 400,000 miles, but wow that is scary. I may have to have the valves tightened up. I would love to do it myself, but 32 valves is a lot of valves ! Good Luck - if you can find a 1997 Lexus LS 400 with low miles and a great price, I say "Go for it" !
    Visitor, Charlotte, NC, June 27, 2013 11:56
    Best car ever, brought in 2004 -kept oil change and tune up,and brought new tires; I never had to spend anything thing else on it. It is a ladies car, problem free, next car will definitely be a lexus, had this car going on 9 years, getting brakes put on it this weekend 6/29/13 for the first time. Plan to keep it as long as it holds up, body in good condition,I get compliments on it all the time. Plan on buying a new one next year just because I want a later model car and keep my 99" I will not trade it for anything. I'm Lexus for life.
  • 2000 Lexus LS400
    Visitor, Saint Paul, MN, December 07, 2012 12:54
    this car cost Mercedes Benz lead engineer his job! (due to panic decisions) and for good resin, it is better than any Mercedes of the pre-2000 era
    Visitor, Los Angeles, CA, October 09, 2012 08:25
    Owned this auto for 12 years. Have had 2 problems, most of all it is important to continue to keep maintenance up, which is what I do. About 3 years ago replaced alternator and battery. Having to replace the starter today on 10-8-12. Overall this is the best auto I have owned. This is a low replacement auto. Runs exceptionally well. When I do get another auto I want a Lexus.
    Dwightnc, Durham, NC, March 18, 2012 09:26
    We have a 1990 ls400, 160k miles, the power steering pump leaks fluid into the alternator causing it to go out. We're replacing both items but, the instrument panel light is going haywire while this is happening. Does anyone know or have had similar issues & did the replacement of the alternator & power steering pump fix the problem with the instrument panel? Thanks for the feed-back.
  • 1995 Lexus LS400
    budloe562, Victorville, CA, March 02, 2012 06:41
    my transmission shift fine without turning on my headlight switch.But at night when i turn on my headlights on my transmission doesn"t shift and my radio lights comes on also when i step on the brake.does anybody no the problem.
    Visitor, San Jose, CA, October 30, 2011 13:44
    I bought this car at a car auction in 2000. It had 86,000 miles on it. I now have over 259,000 miles on it and it runs like a champ. I use a full synthetic oil combined with Lucas Oil Stabilizer, a K&N Oil Filter and I change it approximately 8000 or so. I want to milk this bad boy over 300,000 miles ! The only issues that I have had in the past 11 years or so was the power steering pump and lines, and the alternator. This is an interference engine so I have had the timing belt/water pump replaced twice already. You will also want to drain the transmission and replace that filter as well. I have done that twice too. The body is great (I wax it regularly and use a clay bar) and it is very nice and roomy for long family trips !
    jplwaldo903, Marblehead, MA, September 14, 2011 16:46
    ihave a broken wire in wire loom from ecm module to #6 injector how do i run bypass wire.
    Visitor, Laredo, TX, August 13, 2011 14:02
    leaks oil and rear window is broken
    Visitor, Peoria, AZ, August 09, 2011 16:42
    A friend of mine has this year & model with over 240,000 miles on it. I spent a week with him and fell in love with it. I came back home to Phoenix and found the same year and model with 114,400 miles on it. I absolutely love it! It rides like it just came off the show room! I took it in for a timing belt & a small leak around the oil pan. Other than that, this car is awesome and will serve me well for many years to come. Absolutely the finest car I have ever owned.
    Visitor, Lexington, NC, August 02, 2011 10:51
    watch for valve seal leak over 180000, suspension issues ie tie rods and strut adjustments or repairs
    Visitor, Immokalee, FL, July 30, 2011 22:35
    Best car i have had its got 269,956 miles and she still going have had no problems i cant fix very good car and im going to have it for a long time rather have this one than a new one.
    mrmac, Garden Grove, CA, June 24, 2011 19:14
    This 92 Lexus has to be the nicest vehicle I've owned. When I have routine maintenance done (oil change, washed, smogged) , service personnel make comments about how beautiful the style of body it is as well as how reliable this particular model is based on their experence. Looks good even next to much newer cars. Some service is necessary as it is 20 yrs old. Quiet, smooth and stylish sums up my experience with this beautiful automobile.
  • 1991 Lexus LS400
    Visitor, Fort Worth, TX, April 15, 2011 10:09
    Best car I ever had!!
    Visitor, Leland, NC, March 25, 2011 21:38
    HELLO this car has been a great investment .225k .still runnign strong.
  • 1994 Lexus LS400
    Visitor, Goodyear, AZ, March 18, 2011 18:39
    GREAT CAR, BUT HIGH COST TO OWN
    kf1596, Vancouver, WA, February 10, 2011 09:13
    308,000 miles runs like a champ just started having brake light issues but cant complain
    Visitor, Trenton, TX, January 17, 2011 05:31
    I bought this car 38 months ago with 69k miles on it. It just turned over 150k and I still love it. It is by far the nicest and best car I have ever owned and I've owned a lot of cars in my 54 years of driving. One mechanic said that the 1999 LS 400 is a tank and will treat you well as long as you do the regularly scheduled maintenance and take care of all repairs; which I have done. The only real repair was the power steering pump and the brake lights in the back window. I highly recommend it as long as you know the car history and it was well maintained as mine was and still is of course.
    icloudnine, Glen Rock, NJ, December 05, 2010 23:22
    I purchased this car with over 100k two years ago and it was the best purchase I ever made with a used car. The maintenance was well kept by the previous owner so timing belt and normal items were practically new. There are common problems with p/s, wiring harness in trunk, LCD failure on the climate control, but this almost twenty years old now with over 150k. Everything works like a new car except I should have looked for a 1993 with larger disc brakes. I used after marktet rotors...big mistake. The ride is wonderful, engine/trans smooth and I will probably keep this car until my wife threatens divorce for sake of a newer model. Best car I've owned.
    Visitor, Portsmouth, VA, November 25, 2010 17:54
    Overall great Car! I had to replace the tensioner pulley housing along with new belt. Parts are EXPENSIVE...but with regulary scheduled maintenance and oil changes...it'll last forever!
    Visitor, Tulsa, OK, October 14, 2010 11:58
    We got this car a few months ago. It only had 75k on it. We LOVE it. one of the best riding and powerful cars we have owned. I have had 7 series BMW's in the past and this is better. Would highly recomend it to anyone
    Visitor, Lenox, MA, July 01, 2010 05:28
    You should not be afraid of buying one IF you are armed with knowing what to lookout for. Timing belt+water pump replacement history is a must . Maintenence records are crucial ..
    drynders, Naples, FL, June 21, 2010 07:47
    Best car I ever owned, and I still do. Minor problems only. I learned the hard way that the Lexus dealer repair process never "repairs" anything: their franchise agreement with Lexus requires them to replace any part not working properly - they can't even clean spark plugs, they must install new. Once I took that into account, I became a DIY repair, bought the shop manuals (for about $180) and if I can't do it myself, only then do I seek assistance.
  • 2000 Lexus LS400
    Visitor, Fort Myers, FL, April 14, 2010 17:23
    Best car I ever owned - and I've had Mercedes (450SL), Cadillacs, Volvo (Bertone) and Lincolns. Not one of them could touch my Lexus (not even close).
    jerry olsen, Palm Beach Gardens, FL, March 01, 2010 10:59
    This is one of the finest luxury cars with the extended life with the minimum repairs as long as regular maintainence is performed. Simple oil changes and tire rotations will give you a reliable luxuty automobile Jerry Olsen
    Gboy, Newbury Park, CA, November 03, 2009 09:22
    Best car I've had in 50 yrs. Have replaced power steering, and front struts. Some tranny work. Otherwise 190,000 miles of comfort driving. Body paint and interior like new. They'll sell this car the day after they bury me.
    SuperBuu, Alhambra, CA, September 18, 2009 02:39
    I've just been given this car from my uncle and am really greatful for it. It's a wonderful and bad ass car, only thing is that when he signed it over, the lights on the stereo already went out so at night I can't see the radio plus he got the gold package, yet, didn't opt. for the CD changer so I can't listen to any CD unless I replace the stereo. Also, some how the driver side mirror's automatice tint got damaged and 1/4 of the area won't tint anymore and it'll cost $380 to just replace the mirror. Not the whole housing, just he mirror.
    supra, Schenectady, NY, August 04, 2009 02:19
    hi,,,,,i have LS400 more than 11 years and I know the car ----it is perfect car for family---its fowerful and comfortable----it has few promblems----water pump,steering box,and suspernsion----there are the main problemes i got in this car---I leave in Oman---hottest place---the temp in summer over 45 and in wenter around 26---and my car runnig perfect ------also i got other few problems---in starter,dainmo charge,and other things---this days i have promlems with parts price---last week i change the brek parts --the front and the abs break only and it coast me 72 RO = 187$ without working charge!!!
    sndpaper, New York, NY, April 24, 2009 10:27
    Bot this car (dark gray/black) in 2008, from a friend, who had put 286,000+ miles on it. It looked practically new. They had taken great care of it, and my step-daughter LOVES it. So do I and my wife---we will use it for long trips and rent a cheapo replacement for the girl. Body and interior were in great shape--this was Lexus's introductory model to US market--we bot floor mats but didn't reall have to. Car drives and handles like a brand new one. After 286,000+ miles, I guess a thing or two would go out, but haven't found it yet. We plan to take the car to Texas some day to retire.