Volkswagen Passat Reviews

Volkswagen Passat Reviews and Owner Comments

Nothing but problems with this vehicle. Failure of camshaft, camshaft follower, fuel pump, fuel pump module and inner CV boot. All with less than 70K miles. Very disappointing for a VW. I owned a VW before and it was a well handling, low maintenance vehicle. Not this model. I seem to be in the repair shop every other month - and that include the minor things that I do like plugs, oil change and ignition coils. VW never again.
Although it may be premature- the pure fun to drive experience is incredible!! The milage is awesome- torque is great on takeoff ( I have wondered if printed times are correct- seems faster). I really enjoy the center MFI between 2 analog gauges. We chose a diesel over a hybrid to NOT have to baby it to return mpgs. The DSG works differently in sport mode- worth a try
The good- great ride, great power V-6, nice interior, quiet. The bad- poor gas milage with V-6, not very good steering feedback, the cost of changing the transmission fluid $400.00 for DSG transmission (I will trade this car in before the transmission fluid change is due) will never buy a car with DSG transmission again. I would love to see VW change to the new ZF 9 speed.
I brought a used 2004 passat GLS sedan in 2011..It has been a pain, costly repairs..Never ending oil leaks...I would not recommend this vehicle....
THIS VEHICLE IS NOT WORTH THE COST THAT ONE MUST PAY, ESPECIALLY A USED ONE AS THAT'S WHEN THE PROBLEMS START--APPROXIMATELY 75,000 MILES. AND WE ARE TALKING MAJOR PROBLEMS SUCH AS CATALYTIC CONVERTER REPLACEMENT, USED TURBO REPLACEMENT, TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS--RIGHT NOW MY VEHICLE IS SITTING IN A MECHANIC'S LOT AS I CANNOT AFFORD THE $2,800 TO REPLACE THE TRANS. SOMETHING AS SIMPLE AS NOT BEING ABLE TO TURN THE HEAD-LAMPS OFF (THERE'S NOT EVEN A KILL SWITCH) DURING THE DAY HAS COSTED A FORTUNE JUST REPLACING THE LAMPS. IT'S A VERY NEEDY/HIGH MAINTENANCE CAR THAT HAS DRAINED MY FINANCES. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER VOLKSWAGEN AGAIN.
Purchased my 2012 Passat SE in April 2012. Have owned it about 17 months, and 23,000 miles. Have the 2.5 gasoline engine with 5 speed manual transmission. I must say this car rides, drives, brakes, steers, and rides great! I drive quite a bit being in Sales, and I am very comfortable in this car, and can drive 3-4 hours without having to stop to stretch my back and legs. Car has been 100% reliable, with only oil changes / tire rotations needed. I had a sunroof installed (aftermarket), as VW would not sell a manual transmission car with a sunroof! Guess we manual shifters don't enjoy the sunshine! Great car, loads of room with a huge back seat. I highly recommend this car.
I got the passat 4 motion which is 4wd. Pretty cool to use on winter time. but here are the commons. front suspension corrodes and hard to remove so you end up replacing all components. caliper rear just crapped out on me. but thats ok, rust in illinois is my enemy, thats just mother nature who am i to complain? :) very good car solid. and maintenance is not so bad. i will be driving this one for awhile.
Traded in my Mercedes SL500 in on a Passat. Have had no regrets about that decision. The Mercedes was a money pit; spent over 7K in a year and a half. The Passat has all the comfort and features of many high end cars, without the price. It has 4 years of warranty ( 2012 ).
I have 96 Passat TDI (diesel) with over 300,000 miles. Other than routine maintenance, and tires of course, the only problem I had was that the master clutch relay recently went out. But hey, I consider that nothing with that many miles on it! It's a great car and still after all these years I still enjoy the heck out of driving it.
is the best
My Wolfsburg edition just turned 67,000 and its one of the best vehicles I have owned. I had a few problems during the warranty period but other then routine maintenance items its been a fantastic vehicle. The 2.0T FSI is a great design with excellent performance. I believe VW has made a mistake by terminating the Wolfsburg edition to pursue a broader base with lower costs. When you compare the price point against BMW or Audi the Passat represents great value with European styling, class and fit. I would buy another 2007 tomorrow instead of the 2012 or 2012 Passat.
bought my 07 vw passat one year ago with 37000 miles in it ,now pushing 80.000 miles the car has been practially flawess with unbelieveable power from the 2.o power plant after owning over a hundred automobiles in my life time , this car is truly top shelf !i truly could'nt ask for anything better. straight line performance will smoke most cars ! 30 plus miles per gallon comfortable ,handles like a bmw if not better ! woul i invest in another one ? you darn right !!...BOB
MY STORY ABOUT A 1999 VOLKSWAGEN PASSAT I WILL SAY THIS IS THE BEST CAR I EVER HAD....DON'T SPEND MUCH MONEY ON ANYTHING SINCE I HAD THIS CAR...MEANING MAJOR.....I'M HAVING PROBLEM ON THE WINDOWS AND SUNROOF...NEITHER WILL GO DOWN OR OPEN.....THE WINDOWS PERIOD WILL NOT GO DOWN....WHAT'S UP WITH THAT......OTHER THAN THAT GREAT CAR///I WILL SAY///
it idles gos up and down can't find problem
Bought this car in 2004 and it's been one thing after another... I enjoy working on this car but now tha i'm just about finished rebuilding enging and transmission and fixing a lot of issues of this car over the years and have spent THOUSANDS going to Vw Dealer,Ebay,Junk yards and various other outlets... finally got my new fuel pumps and installed them and the dreaded leak I thought was just a loose connection but came to realize it is a part called A FUEL PUMP RESERVOIR...I had to wait to monday the call the vw dealer..so excited...PART NUMBER::357201043A:: HAS BEEN DISCONTINUED!!!!!!4-9-2012
I would never ever buy a VW again. Way to many repairs on this car. Seemed ok up to about 75,000 miles. Then its one trip after another to the dealership. I go in for a simple $90 oil change and there is always something needs repaired. Nothing light on repairs very costly!! SIMPLE - DON"T BUY A VW
I have a 1999 Volkswagen Passet and I love it! It has 182,000 miles on it and is excellent in the snow. Although I was use to driving a Toyota Tacoma, I enjoy this car. However, we need a waterpump replacement and timing belt. This will be costly, but will do one thing at a time which is the waterpump. The only disadvantage about owning this type of car is that it is very expensive to repair.
How much will it cost to replace a thermostat on a 2002 vw passat 2.8????
Have had my 2003 Passat 1.8l wagon for nearly 97,000 miles. Its been one of the nicest cars I've ever driven - especially the reassuring feel on the road - very safe, very stable, very solid, very German. I've had very few issues, but I'm also very religious about maintenance and have a great guy, Sergey at Absolute Auto in Alpharetta, working on it - he's talented and reasonably priced. I'd recommend this car to anyone, especially as opposed to a traditional German luxury car - which I think mine really is!
My 86k 2007 VW Passat engine siezed up 4 days after an oil change. I was driving, the oil pressure light came on, then immediately started making a loud noise, I immediately stopped the car and got it towed. I was notified by the dealer that there was sludge that caused low pressure and hence the engine siezing up. I had taken to car to the VW dealer I bought it at numerous times complaining of high oil consumption and that the engine sounded like it was working too hard, but they could never find anything wrong with it. I will never buy or recommend a VW again.
I have had my VW Passat for 4 years and had numerous repairs . The capper is my VW just died at 66,000 miles .The engine siezed. Changed oil every 5k with synthetic oil and kept going back to the dealer for power loss and they could not figure out the issue, now my engine is seized.
The famous idiot light for oil pressure only came on in my 2006 Passat as the engine died on the freeway just after I had the oil changed!
After this car, I will not buy another VW! 4 years old and it has broken down 3 times in the last year and had to be towed in.
I've owned my 03 Passat, 1.8T for 4 years now. I've had pretty much all the same mechanical problems as everyone else. There is 1 very expensive repair I have to do soon and that's to replace the secondary air pump. VW wants over $800 to do it. I can do it for $350. Ignition coils were covered by a recall as well as the brake light swich. Oil leak is embarrasing when I park in a friends driveway. The only other issue I have with this small engine is turbo-lag and the drive by wire accelerator. I can't rely on a quick burst of speed to get into traffic. Throttle response is very slow. Also, the sealed transimission worries me that I can't monitor the fluid level and condition. Overall I think this is the safest car on the road. My wife was T-Boned on the driver side rear. I didn't know VW put airbags in the seats! Although expensive to repair comfort and safety earn high marks.
Great car! Had some weird issues within initial warranty period (blown out catalytic converter being the weirdest) but all were covered and the service dept. at out local dealer has been great. Brakes are the best I've ever owned but the rears wear much faster than fronts. Dealer explained this as rear brake bias to minimize front end diving under hard braking. Coming up on 75K miles and need to replace rear brakes before 80K. Fronts are currently projected to last ~130K miles! Original battery went dead after only 3 years but was replaced under warranty. Biggest glitch has been multiple trips to dealer for "check engine" light, but none in last 25K miles. Overall excellent vehicle. My next one will probably be the new CC.
I liked this car until I got the famous "oil pressure" light. The engine blew before I could slow down to pull over! VW is aware of the problem but because I bought the car used I cannot provide all the service records. I changed the oil every 3000 miles but that is not enough for them to cover the warrenty. I will never buy a VW product again!
I bought this car 2 months ago. The first problem I had was every time I started the car, the under carriage shook. I took it into the shop and they kicked the muffler and said nothing was the matter. The next problem I have is that the vents on the dash are at an angle such that they can't blow full at your chest or stomach. The vents close when angling them down. Oh, and that carriage shaking? That was the catalytic converter and turbo pipe cracking/breaking making the car sound like a rusted out 1978 datsun (LOUD!). I do love the comfort and look of the car though.
After rushing and buying my Passat I had to put an extra $3.000 to get it up to par ! Had Sludge problem -Problems with coils. I am now very happy with my Passat after giving it a little TLC!
So after having this car for a year, i had to replace the spark plugs because the engine had an oil leak and burned up the spark plugs. Everytime i press my break to accelerate i hear this knocking on the back of my car. The steering wheel ticks when i turn it and the car always blows out hot air till at least 8 miles. The car has 119,000 miles on it. Replaced the tire boot last year and have to replace it again.
You right, should be the age... My AC is giving me only warm air Sunroof is nor working, I have the same ABS light and I'm not planing to fixed either. I have the same problem with the same window (only up),.. but I love the engine and the turbo. It's 1998.. do you spend some money in lit repairs or is time to replace it??