Volkswagen Jetta Reviews

Volkswagen Jetta Reviews and Owner Comments

I bought the car 02/07/15 and like 3 months later had to be towed to dealer for catalic converter to be changed. It was deffective. Three weeks later had to be towed again for a fuel injector to me changed. It took the dealer about a week to repair, but after that its been good. I guess, if its man made it can't be perfect.
car has automatic transmission. For this reason, the starter is hidden under the exhaust manifold and burns out about every 25/30 thousand miles. At about 130.000 miles, hit a maintenance period in wear, with radiator replacement/starter replacement/water pump leakage/idle air control valve replacement. The on board computer can only be read by a VW/MB and BMW dealer. The car is a Mexico build and quality is not up to German standards. It is a 1992 VW Jetta GL and been in my family since new. My mother gave it to me in 1995 with a bit over 29000 miles on it. Within this time, I have always enjoyed it. One bit of advice that makes these cars sparkle, is to install size 195-60 14 over the standard tire. The other, is to install a front tower brace, this stiffens the pan and the improvement in handling is well worth the cost. It is a gas motor, but always have used 15-40 Shell motor oil. This protects from the Arizona desert heat, it uses about a quarter of a quart of oil every 3000 miles.
2006 Jetta 2.5 does not have as many problems as my Passat wagon which caught on fire while I was driving it due to the faulty heat shield. VW repaired it only to have it fall off on a major interstate which almost got myself and others killed. After that fire EVERYTHING went wrong with that car which cost thousands. You would think I would never buy VW again..with all its faulty wire harness issues ( and there are many), the faulty trunk and gas cap latch, The windows that roll down instead of up, the lights that need replaced constantly and the headliner which is ridiculous to repair, I still think its a better car than a lot of the cars out there when they begin to get older. ITs a car that holds some value and will last a bit. They all have issues. All cars, they are made cheap and cost a fortune...but thats all cars until you get to a higher end car which VW is not anymore. On the class action lawsuit..Im still waiting for payment. Your claim had to be filed by September 24th and it settled in December 2014. VW will pay or do what it wants. The attorneys have been paid by VW and the car company hasn't paid a dime to the non-appearing Plaintiffs, even with a valid claim.
I really love the VW engine (2007 VW Jetta 2.5L) but around 130,000 miles the car thinks the Trunk is always open (the dummy light for the trunk being open on the dash display is always on, even when its not open) and wouldn't activate alarm (but car would lock/unlock) for the longest time. Until all of a sudden at 150,000 miles the car alarm will activate now, however car still thinks trunk is open. Very weird. Haven't been able to get into troubleshooting much. Wish we had some VW Jetta wiring diagrams. Don't want to pay hundreds for a dealer to "fix" it. So far doesn't affect the way it drives. After about 120,000 miles the car started sounding more rough and less smooth. I guess that's to be expected. Engine still going strong as far as I know. Regular maintenance (for the most part) has been done when I can afford it. I also have a smell problem with vent system. Kept thinking it was the cabin filter but after looking on "repair pal" I realize its not. I just deal with it. I live near a mushroom farm because its cheap. So whatever.
Vehicle needed to be towed to dealer with only 3,200 miles driven. Service department pinpointed cause to be a bad fuel injector. Very disappointed that vehicle was towed to dealer before 1st oil & filter. Don't buy a 2014 Jetta unless you want to have towed before 1st service due
11 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 SE Great gas mileage. Very good opinions for the price” leather, touch screen radio, heated seats, sunroof. This is my first Volkswagen and I am glad I got it.I have own it for a mouth and half no problem
Second tdi. 03 had much better mileage. I bought 06 new; brought it in from Tampa to California. While under warranty I took it to the dealer several times when it just wouldn't turn over. Dealer never found a problem, kept it for days. Headliner fell out @ 60k miles. Buttons bubbled on all the instruments & to fix the bad paint they want to replace everything. Absurd. The steering wheel melted, just began disintegrating. Now I've replaced both switches on the front windows. Each time they have to disassemble the entire door... $300 a pop.... now I'm replacing both motors and regulators in each door... $709 + tax per door. Air conditioner has had 6 filters and it blows when the new filter is in but one has to be going over 50 mph steady for it to begin cooling. If the outside temp. is over 85 degrees, it takes 20 minutes to begin cooling. After 90 degrees, it stops cooling. The only time I use the air conditioner is when it's over 90, so I'm so screwed. VW worked on it, but no results. I had to take it to an air conditioner specialist to get it replaced. I change the oil ever 3500 miles and perform all regular maintenance. I do not mind timing belts every 70k or replacing bulbs, but replacing the same bulb in the same fixture every year, really? The heat seats are awesome, but how often do i need them in southern California? I should never have sold the 03 tdi. It just got broken in at 50k miles… mpg actually improved to 48mpg from 42mpg. It really held it’s value as well, but this car…. I love diesels. But all these “little things” have added up to $5896. That amount does NOT include the regular maintenance items, oil changes, brakes, timing belts, tires etc. That is what it has cost to repair the structural problems. I did include the new headlamp covers. They were treated twice and I eventually just replaced them. It was the first time I did not have to buy an entire item, in this case the headlamp, to replace the cheap plastic. My speedometer plastic is scratched and I wanted to replace the plastic as I had cleaned it with something that melted it…. I think i used acetone... don't ;) And they told me I would have to replace the whole part. I could have gotten new doors for what they have charged me to fix the ones I have. VW dealer told me to trade it. They said they’ve fixed all the problems I was having. I don’t want a new car. I want this car to be right. I bought my son an 04 tdi wagon 5 years ago. It was made in Germany, all leather. It gets over 42mpg consistently and has none of the issues my Mexican Jetta has. So, if you want a diesel, the Golf is made in Germany. Just know that VW will NEVER do anything for their consumers no matter how loyal they have been nor how blatantly defective their product is produced.
for those of u who had wiring harness issue there is a class action law suit ... visit www.wiringharnesssettlement.com. fot the issues with cv boots visit https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml and file a complaint... lets have these manufactures fix the faulty cars they sold us
TDI 2006, too many fixes including clutch, door wiring harness, secondary fuel pump, under body rubbers, hoses and motor camshaft
/ water pump has big issues.The water pump impeller is made of plastic and prone to leakage.It becomes highly expensive to replace, since anytime you replace the water pump,it is recommended to replace the timing belt.
Currently at 214,000 miles had minor issues. Two differant hoses, clutch and sensor for the exhaust. Currently the airbag light is on, been reset once after 3 months back on, dealer claims it the airbag controler but they tested it and is came passed all the tests.
I have replaced the engine after the timing belt leaped off. The radio keeps going into safe mode.VW never gave me the code with the radio. They now cliam to have to remove the radio to get the code. I will not be buying a VW ever again. when this one dies I will park it in front of Mayer VW of Larchmont and leave it there. The car also locked the doors with my nephew in the car with the car off, while he was in the car seat. We had to break the window. VW says the car it fine.
Every component except the Engine and Transmission are cheap and unreliable. Everything from the Fuel system to the Lock tumblers falls apart. It is a never ending money suck. I feel unethical selling this car just knowing that something else is going to break the next time someone touches it.
Neither the local Dealer or the VW of America will do anything about it the Air harness problem in my 2005/2.5 Jetta. I have started a class action lawsuit email me if you need more info sonriks4@live.com If your Jetta has had issues with the Door wiring harness you must watch this video see link below: http://youtu.be/p1eQ5XL-zPM
I have the 2005.5 New Jetta and overall I am pretty happy with my car. I have owned it since new, and I have racked up 110000 + miles. It drives like new, but the headliner is falling. Trunk latch will mess up from time to time. Radio buttons are gone for the most part. I installed an after market Sony with Bluetooth. So that is not an issue now. The car was shifting very hard, and just about the time I noticed it. A letter came in the mail from VW for a valve body (transmission part)recall for hard shifts, perfect timing. Bigger issues I once needed a full brake job cause the pad were basically harder than the roters. So pads were 100% but my roters were toast. The ignition switch messed up to the point were my key would not go in, and I ended up breaking a screw driver off inside it. It was a very pricy repair, but the car gets me from work and home daily and gets roughly to 34 mpg.
I have owned my Jetta TDI 2006 since new. This is my second stab and final one at owning a VW Jetta (04 was a disaster). So far I have replaced the following parts; Rad hoses (twice) Both cooling fans Cabin fan (twice) Fan relay All 4 wheel bearings Clutch Timing belt and water pump (twice) Light bulbs by the dozen Hood closure switch All brakes Now it's the door harness and sunroof opening by itself that are the next repairs if I have any money left. So tell me, where are the supposed savings by owning a TDI vs gas? :( Good Bye VW
The Volkswagon dealership has always said the check engine light is no big deal ,they dont know whats wrong. The headliner and cooling fans go when the warranty is over. Soon after the a/c compressor follows. Drives great despite being mainly junk.
More than a review, a question regarding the side mirror control. The joy stick that controls the side view mirrors broke off a long time ago. I have the mirrors set to my setting but as I turned off the ignition yesterday the mirrors retracted or tucked in against the windows on their own!? When I needed to adjust the mirrors I used a pensil eraser but this wont release the mirrors back to driving position. Can anybody help? Best regards, Looking Forward
purchased in 2001 volkswagen jetta 1.8 turbo gls.... nothing but humongous piles of s***... I have had the car for 32 days and the other day it started getting hot check engine light coors light came on... replace oil cooler and a timing belt serpentine belt... water pump... twice I've had to fix oil cooler because of oil keeps going into my overflow.... now it's going out and it's very sluggish I'm having so many problems with this car I would rather smash into 1,000,000 pieces everdrive another 1..... goto everybody thinking of buying a volkswagen jetta please thank again because I bought mine for 4500 can I put 1200 into it and counting is sitting in my driveway and I haven't been able to drive it is a huge pile of crap... not to mention the handle on the driver door is broke off the glove compartment clippers broke up orders broke speakers blown in the center console is broke.... if anybody has had problems please let them on here because I know everybody I know has these problems everyone who talks about off so I can talk about how big are piles of s*** they are
I bought a 2006 Value Edition new and have had a number of problems, but most were covered by the 5 year warranty. The first problem was the rubber coating on the radio bubbling up, but warranty replaced it. Next was the headliner falling out, warranty fixed. Then trunk latch quit working, covered by warranty.And then the catalytic converter, also covered. After the warranty expired the driver window was having trouble going uo and down. VW said they would gladly replace it for $500. I managed to fix it with some $2.00 wire connectors and some online help. I think the auxilary fan went out and that cost about $500. And now something is wrong with the cv boots. But I have 97,000 miles on it and it still runs like new,although it does take 10 minutes for the a/c to cool. Overall I like it, it is the best car I have owned.
Worst piece of crap i have ever owned......will never...EVER...buy a Volks again........plastic propeller for water pump broke into pieces at 80K......been nighmare ever since......one thing after another.....coil packs.....sensors.....top end rebuilt....both fans replaced....front cowl......got a glove box full of repairs.....prolly spent 5-6k in repairs since bought it.........has 150k on it now......manifold leak now.....been sitting last 2 yrs....until i decide on next move.....figure if i dont drive it....nuttin else will break...
Purchased used at 65K its now at 104K I have had no major issues just a crack in the coolant tank. LOVE EVERYTHING ELSE! I follow my recomended maintenance schedule religiously! Oil change every 5k VW for life!
Got the car in Nov 2006. Has been a pile since day one. Everything seems to break on it. I'm thinking of selling now, tired of pumping $ into it. I'll never buy VW again. German engineering my a$$
i stumbled onto my jet and was very happy until a few days of driving . the car had 67,000 miles on it but it has many problems, it uses oil ,the speedometer fluctuates so i cant use the cruise controll .the ac fan wont work , the check engine light stays on even if you fix the problem . broken interior plastic, the suspension sqeeks ,and it smells like crayons when it is hot outside .how did this car become so popular ? i now have 84.000 miles on it and am looking to ditch it.
I have a 2002 Jetta 1.8t, it's been chipped since birth, turbo upgrade, way above stock horse, and runs perfict. I guess some get lemons and some don't.
I have a 6 cylinder wagon with sport suspension/package. At 80K it started making a noise at idle, like a chka-chka-chka-chka fast, not real loud. I mentioned it before an oil change today and the mechanic heard it as well. Said it's the upper chain drive that is slipping and can cause serious engine damage if not fixed. To get to it requires removing the transmission so while they're in there may as replace the clutch, and check the cooling system. Now it's at 90K miles and I feel like I'm driving a ticking time bomb, it's over 2 grand to repair, but I will do it because I'm not up for buying someone else's problem when I've maintained it for ten years.
Ughhh, where do I begin.. So I bought my used 2002 VW jetta from the Hawthorne dealership for $5000 cash, they told me it ran perfect, nothing was wrong with it, I loved it when I bought it...So that was a month ago, I had my fiance change the oil, and when he looked under the car everything was totally rusted, and there was chunky oil and fluid all dried up all over under the car.. It is an automatic, and all of a sudden when i try to leave to go anywhere, my car wont shift, it stays in first and will not go into second and just rev's the RPM so high, so I have to pull over and let my car warm up for about 10 more minutes, very embarressing, and now they say there is nothing they can do about it, im a single mom and this totally sucks, cause it is so exspensive...
04 vw jetta wagon diesel car runs fine while driving but skips occassionally shuts off while idiling but continues to restart. Oil was recently low and changed oil and filter trying to eliminate problem. Problem continues, changed fuel filter also. Also put 911 diesel treatment in fuel but did not solve problem.
Okay I just want to point out that If you buy a car used you don't know what the previous owner did or didn't do for the car. I know I read something about someone complaning about the body and interer that one pulls a red flag for me as it sounds like the car was hit/ Fix wrong and sold to you. You have to look out for you when buying Used BIG TIME no matter who is selling it. LOL I get No it's never been hit... Look under the hood and well well all I see is crumbles there responce... Oh really it's been hit... I have owned a new right off the lot 2003 Jetta, I put about 185,000 Miles on it with only changing Spark plugs once... It did get stuck in 3rd and the dealer told me it was because the fluid was low they filled, Fixed, for free.. Even washed it for me :)I had problems with the trunk latch and I fixed that my self. It was just the plastic piece getting stuck. Other then that it was a wonderful car. I drove the hell out of it. I now have a 2005 Jetta GLI about 79,000 Miles I was the 2nd owner on this one... Now keep in mind about what I said above about used cars... I had it 4 day's and the alternator went out.. Okay its used I understand. they fixed for fee... (Car Max) I have changed the water pump, Timing belt, Aux water pump, water pump hose, Coils, Coolant Cap, and now I'm told I have valve cover leak and cam seal leak. So buying used really isn't a good Idea LOL... Also Never get your work done at a Dealer they are WAAAAAAAAAY to pricy the only work I ever get done there is if its free... best way for you to get your car checked is if they have a recall they will tell you everything that is wrong with it... have them write it all down and get quotes or do it yourself some of the stuff they do is REALLY EASY! I just had my car checked (for free) they quotecd me $1,055.00 to fix the Aux water pump valve cover and cam seal... I just bought the parts to do this for about $150.00 Yeah I don't think I would do the cam seal myself but I know I can find someone to do it under $905.00 more like for about $200.00 total cost for me was about $350.00 I saved $705.00 VW Jetta's have been my best cars so far for the price. Plus if you don't buy the parts or have the work done from the dealer they are very cheep to fix. For the 2005 Jetta GLI I think I have only spent maybe over $1,000.00 to get all that fixed. If I would have got it done thru the dealer it easly would have been over $5,000 -$7,000.00. Bottom line all cars break and if you have problems don't take no for an answer. (Car Max tried to say it was my fault! OH hell no! lol I got it all done for free) Don't get ripped off. I love my VW and if they didn't change the body style in late 2005 I would be buying another one. NEW!!!! :)
We have had two 2006 VW Jetta TDI's. The mileage was great. We sold our daughter's car with 75,000 miles on it because it would die at traffic lights. Our daughter would have to turn the car completely off and turn it back on to get it to go. This was not safe for a single girl in St. Louis. An independent shop said it was the transmission. VW and their dealerships could not find a problem. They didn't believe our daughter, even though it happened 4 times in 2 weeks. VW would NOT work with us. We sold her car for a 2012 Honda Pilot. She is much happier. The second Jetta has 77,000 miles on it and now the compressor is going out. We don't have an option, we have to get it fixed. The estimate is $700. Will we buy another VW? NEVER! It takes forever to get cool in the summer. VW is not loyal to their customers. We will no longer be loyal to them.