Commonly located on the automatic transmission, the gear position sensor communicates the gearshift’s position to the vehicle’s electrical system. The main purpose of this switch is to prevent the vehicle from starting unless the gearshift is in Park or Neutral.
Symptoms of Wear or Failure
- Incorrect reading from the gear shift indicator
- Illumination of the Check Engine Light
- Failure of the engine to crank over
Related Repair Advice
- An improperly adjusted gear position sensor can exhibit the same symptoms as a failed part
- Replacement of the automatic transmission will often require inspection and adjustment of the gear position sensor