Reviews for Ford Explorer Sport Trac years:

Ford Explorer Sport Trac Reviews and Owner Comments

Ford Explorer Sport TracOwner Reviews (33 reviews)
  • 2010 Ford Explorer Sport Trac
    Visitor, Morning View, KY, March 27, 2014 10:24
    2010 bought brand new and had a hub go out and replaced, told it was leaking fluid again and backup light leaking around seal, now light on one half the speedometer not working. Lot of things that are expensive to fix went wrong.
  • 2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac
    Visitor, Dunlap, TN, March 26, 2014 08:15
    2010 explorer sports trac 62,000 miles and the motor has thrown a rod. Now I need a new motor.
    Visitor, Sweet Grass, MT, February 07, 2014 10:41
    Well first we gave the truck a check up before we left to bc because the truck was said to be doing great. We'll like the 5 day in kamloops, bc are truck u you see the truck was heating up so we looked for somewhere to pull over and we pulled over and droped are radiator bloow up on the one side. So we got it towed to a machine shop ( Canadian Tire)and they told use are transmission was going and we are going to have to wait till the radiator came in entill we could leave so leaves me to this question how is it to fixed the transmission on the truck as everything else works fine it
    Visitor, Milton, FL, June 07, 2013 15:30
    bought in 2005, needed harmonica balancer 2 yrs ago..constant squeek we thought was belt related. now needs a thermostat housing replaced as it's leaking antifreeze which took us 6 mos for it to become a real bad leak that we could find. harmonica balancer reasonable priced repair, this new one a bit high. found solutions on internet from other sportstrac owners. thanks. leather front seats needing major repair from seat warmer function being too hot for material. plastic moldings are coming unglued from florida heat. has been a good little truck in the long run, but cd player has never released the cd's properly. possible heat related from florida sunshine. radio has been excellent tho.
    Visitor, Cleveland, OH, April 01, 2013 12:59
    brakes fail under 5 mph
    Visitor, Matthews, NC, March 22, 2013 07:15
    Bought a 2007 sport trac brand new in 2007 > transmission went out at 77,000 miles on March 15 2013, just got a quote to rebuild for 2695.00. The transmission was faulty to begin with by all the complaints on this truck but no recall was ever given. Average miles per year 13,000. Very disappointed and this will be the last Ford I purchase. Writing the Ford motor company a nice letter, driving a vechicle 13,000 miles a year for 6 years my transmission should have never gone bad. Sad thing is they new they had faulty transmissions in these trucks.
    Visitor, Rincon, GA, January 14, 2013 10:39
    got a 2007 used sport trac..wheel bearing is gone bad tapping on left side of engine..what is next?
    Visitor, Anderson, AL, June 14, 2012 14:20
    2005 Sport Trac...bought new...Transmission went at 46000 miles. Vehicle started stalling in the road (no reverse, no drive until you killed the motor and restarted the engine and move the gears around). Then it drove just fine until it decided to do it again. Really strange and hard to diagnose at first. Warranty was gone but Ford paid the bill except for the $500 our part. THANK YOU JESUS! 130000 another Transmission leak...estimation at $700. Working on getting that one fixed. 5 sets of brakes on this vehicle...but this may be the way my 22 year old drives it (regardless...still not very happy with the brakes). Other than this it has been a very reliable and good ride.
    Visitor, Pooler, GA, May 23, 2012 21:17
    My 2004 explorer sport trac was all i ever wanted until major items like not being able hook up and tow any thing with it by law with any towing equip. And also at 100,000 miles my compass went out and also my auto drive at the same time. Ford,it not your fault its mine for not EXPLORING more options you get it(ExPlOriNg).
    Visitor, De Witt, IA, March 04, 2012 18:50
    Follow up. Slave cylinder went. 105,000 so i'm personally pulling tranny and replacing clutch as we speak. Slave cylinder, clutch kit and trans fluid and dot 3 i'm out 400.00 bucks. I will not pay someone 1200 bucks to do it. Still got faith in my girl/truck.
    Visitor, North Las Vegas, NV, January 25, 2012 18:39
    took my 02 sport trac to the stealership this morning for a coolant leak (dont know where the leak was coming from). they replaced the thermostat housing, put new o-ring inside the housing and replaced two rubber hoses for under 200 bucks. but here is the fun part. got charged almost 500 bucks just for labor alone. which means, it took a certified mechanic almost 5 hrs to do the job. a job that would only take 1.5 hrs, tops to do. it cost me an arm and a leg,,, plus,,, two ears,three fingers, one eye. and my motgage for this month. and not be able to pay my mortgage this month???... priceless
  • 2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac
    Visitor, Hallstead, PA, January 23, 2012 11:44
    Have a 2008 Sport Trac with 122k. Truck needed rear axle at around 30k (warranty), blew wheel bearing n hub around 90k. Transmission gone at 122k. I am religious with regular maintenance; change oil every 3k.. Is a Great truck-Very nible (i live on top of mtn on wooded lot-very harsh winter conditions, truck is a sure-footed goat!). I have no complaints other than big-ticket items failing! New transmission is $3k!!...Disappointing maintenance-wise!..
    Visitor, Mabelvale, AR, January 11, 2012 13:11
    my 2003 sport trac rack and pinion went out at 3000 miles /two windows quit working/thermostat housing went out129000miles/ rear passenger disc brake on that one wheel locks up smells really bad/but im still going think ill buy diesel ford next time
    Visitor, De Witt, IA, November 28, 2011 19:05
    I own a 02 sport trac bought used at 60,000 miles. Two problems right rear window works intermittently and big one here slave cylinder on clutch. If you check blogs on the net it's clear. Expensive to fix. Transmission has to be removed to change it, OUCH. So I start it in gear. I'm used to it now. I love the truck though and do maintenance myself. Great truck buy the automatic though. 98,000 miles currently.
    Visitor, Round Rock, TX, November 20, 2011 13:31
    i have a 2004 sportrac lxt with a 133000 miles run good i put black 22 inch rims on it makes it look aggressive and mean get lots of comments saying cool truck
    Visitor, Jacksonville, NC, October 29, 2011 14:56
    I own a 2004 Sport Trac, I bought at the end of 2005 with 18,000 miles. I now have 68,900 miles its been GREAT TRUCK!!! A.ROD.
    dzingmark, Madison, SD, September 28, 2011 07:30
    I have a 2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac. Except for the alternator going out at 85,000 miles, it's been a pretty good truck. Now, I have an issue with my brakes squeaking when I back up - only when I back up. I've spent $500 on new brakes, calipers, etc and it still squeaks. My mechanic even put in Ford parts - no change. It's very annoying
    Visitor, Berryville, AR, July 10, 2011 10:07
    Have had my 2001 for about five years. it now has 199,00 miles on it and is doing very well in all regards. I do regular maintenence at local Ford and a few small garages in town and have only had 1 major issue. The rar differential began to whine at 165, oo miles and was replaced for $900.00 at local garage...it was a salvage yard part. Second major scare was caused by the bearing at the front drive shaft. It is NOT something that gets lubed during regular maintenence and mine went bone dry and began to shake rattle and clunk while transporting a friend home from a cardiac stay at a hospital during NWArkansas' 2 foot snowfall. Thanks to a caring truckstop mecjhanic it was removed packed and installed in 60 minutes and cost thankfully only $35.00 !! I LOVE THIS TRUCK !!!!
    Visitor, New Tazewell, TN, April 16, 2011 10:39
    Had problems with this truck from the beginning on repeat issues and ford shops could never find problems. Well , its funny had they found the problems now..after warranty is up...which will cost in the thousands and I will not sit on this.
    Visitor, Murrieta, CA, April 02, 2011 11:06
    I finally had to replace the engine, rear timing chain started making noise at 254k! I personally blame this on Lucas Oil Treatment, thinking I was helping an old engine, 1k miles later the noise starts? Who knew. Great truck all around, I think the only other problem I had was the fuel pump went bad at 190k, dropped the tank and fixed it.
    Visitor, London, KY, March 25, 2011 08:18
    We have had our 03 SportTrac since Oct 2009, and the only problem I should mention is the crappy positioning of the inerita switch right under the passenger dashboard. If you have a long legged person riding shotgun, you need to make them aware not to put their feet too far up under the dashboard by the passenger door, or YOUR TRUCK WILL LOSE FUEL TO THE ENGINE AND YOU WILL LOSE POWER STEERING!!! This is actually a safety feature to keep you from being cooked alive should you be rear ended or in some other kind of accident, which isn't a bad thing, as long as you are aware of where it is.
    Visitor, Lakewood, CA, February 15, 2011 19:10
    I loved this truck until the thermostat housing leaked causing the truck to overheat without letting me know. I pride myself on how well i took care of my truck, and everybody that drove in my truck told me how smooth it sounded and drove. Anyhow, the temperature gauge never went above halfway. One day, on my way to work, it made a weird sound wouldn't give me any power when I pushed the gas and turned off as i exited the freeway. It apparently overheated, warping 4 of the valves and frying the pistons. Because of this i will never buy another ford.
    ben taub, Houston, TX, December 27, 2010 06:09
    bought my truck new in 2005, trying to keep it til june 2011 which would be my last payment. not running right now. Give me so many problems i can't name them all. The body work is beautiful, but the repairs are costly, make you want to pull your hair out!
    Visitor, Chase City, VA, October 14, 2010 23:24
    MY SPORT TRAC HAS 127,800 MILES AND STILL IS AS GOOD AS NEW. ONLY THING THAT TICKED ME OFF WAS THE AC WENT OUT AT 38,000 AND IT COSTS $700.00 TO REPAIR. WOULD NOT TRADE FOR ANYTHING ELSE, IF THE ENGINE STOPS I PLAN ON REBUILT ONE TO REPLACE IT.
    Visitor, Trujillo Alto, PR, September 13, 2010 19:51
    EXCELLENT SUV
    Visitor, Paradise, CA, August 26, 2010 10:13
    Great truck (75,000 miles) with one big exception. Three times, in as many months,after parking it has failed to start. First diagnosis "faulty alarm" ($ 600.00) Next diagnosis "bad fuel pump" This is costing me $ 720.00. After this I'm not sure what to do if the problem continues...
    Visitor, Duluth, GA, August 25, 2010 13:52
    i got this car a few years ago and so far nothings need changing aside from the usual tire rotation. Its an excellent car.
    Visitor, Cyclone, WV, July 15, 2010 23:04
    We bought ours about a year and a half ago with less than 25,000 miles on it. It was great until a couple of months ago while my husband was driving on the freeway my foot touched something under the dash on the passenger side and it shut down the whole vehicle. We were told there is a button above where my foot touched to reset it. Problem is we almost died because of this. We traded it in.
    Visitor, Moline, IL, June 16, 2010 04:21
    Had no problems with 2001 except for front brakes.Seems like a design flaw to me.The brake calipers seem to maybe be the cause. The caliper pins seem to get rust inside boots and possibly not letting disc return to proper position.I have replaced front 3 times in 80000.
    Visitor, Martinsburg, WV, April 14, 2010 12:25
    I brought my 2002 sport trac new, great truck has 98,500 with no major problems.
    LadyRebel, Belleville, IL, March 07, 2010 12:49
    Bought my 2002 Sport Trac used about a year and a half ago with 69,000 miles on it. The car was in immaculate shape for the year and it ran extremely well. For it being 8 years old, it still runs great and looks awesome. Ford had a good thing going when they came out with this line of automobiles.
    Khadij, Wasco, CA, September 14, 2009 08:38
    I own 2002 Sport new when I bought it. Just been minor issues until now. 59000 miles the check engine light came on and needed a (DPF ? ) valve replacement. But my biggest issue is the hatch window. The right bolt hidden under the black clip holding my window in stripped and broke stripped. Ford said my year wasn't included in the recall the previous year with the same issues and wanted 300 to fix it. took it to a non dealer and it was fixed for 100. Now the left clip is broken and has bent the hatch hook that keeps the window in place. Very dissapointed with Ford. This is an obvious malfunction on their part.
    SouTx, Harlingen, TX, July 11, 2009 11:41
    Had since new, have over 85,000 miles and with few problems. Even the body is in good condition considering how many doors have hit it from other cars. Rides a little rough now, but still in good condition.