Problems for specific Ford Explorer Sport Trac years:

Car problem reports

Problem with your car? See what our experts say or submit your own.

Most reported 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac problems

Verified for the Ford Explorer Sport Trac

The composite (plastic) intake manifold may crack near the thermostat housing and cause a coolant leak. Ford released an updated manifold that was reinforced to prevent a recurrence. No recall was issued for this problem but Ford did extend the warranty to seven years on some models from the date of purchase.

47 Reports

Verified for the Ford Explorer Sport Trac

A rattling noise from the engine may indicate that the timing chain cassette is worn. Our technicians tell us that installing an updated cassette and timing chain tensioner should correct this concern.

18 Reports

Verified for the Ford Explorer Sport Trac

Various problems with the 5-speed automatic transmission were common. These problems can be more common on the 2002 models with build dates before March, 2002. There are many service bulletins describing the diagnoses and repairs, which include fluid leak repairs, transmission software updates, or internal failures requiring a costly repair.

13 Reports

Verified for the Ford Explorer Sport Trac

The intake manifold O-ring gaskets commonly leak, causing stalling and poor idle quality; the Check Engine Light will illuminate.

7 Reports

Reported by ivasquez for the Ford Explorer Sport Trac

I just replaced both my calipers and pads last week. At 1st the brakes felt loose but throughout the week they tighten up. Today they were find and I went to the store and as I was parking I lost my brakes and hit a parked cars. What is wrong with my brakes?

1 Report