Auto Systems and Repair: Engine Oil
Symptoms of Wear or Failure
- Engine oil light may illuminate
- Low oil pressure gauge
- Abnormal knocking noise from engine
- Excessive sludge buildup in engine
Related Repair Advice
- The manufacturer's recommended oil type and change interval should always be followed
- The engine oil light can illuminate due to low oil pressure, a defective pressure sender, or a problem with the wiring for the oil warning light. Diagnosing this problem will require checking the oil level, oil quality, and oil pressure. If the oil pressure is okay, then a diagnosis of the sender, wiring, and gauge will be performed.
- Some vehicles have internal oil system seals that leak, which will cause low oil pressure. Failure to identify these leaks can lead to the replacement of un-needed parts.
- If the incorrect type of oil is used, the oil pressure can drop too low and cause the oil light to come on.
- If the oil light is on, it's best to avoid driving so as to avoid possible engine damage. Check the oil level and add oil if needed. Then have a shop diagnose the issue to avoid any future problems.