The knock sensor senses the vibrations caused by spark detonation (engine knock or ping) and transmits this data to the engine control computer.
Symptoms of Wear or Failure
- Poor acceleration
- Pinging or knocking sound during acceleration
- Check Engine Light may come on
- Poor gas mileage
Related Repair Advice
- If an engine has multiple knock sensors, it may be recommended to replace them as a set
- When replacing a knock sensor, it is critical the new sensor be properly tightened to the factory specification
- Only use factory OEM knock sensors and be sure to check for any relevant Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs), necessary software updates, and re-calibration procedures
- A knock sensor code isn't always triggered by a defective knock sensor. It can be triggered by a malfunctioning EGR system, a lean air-to-fuel ratio, worn ignition components, a cooling system problem, or an engine mechanical problem.