When the brakes are applied, the brake shoes are forced against the inside of the brake drum, which causes the brake drum to begin slowing down. This is what slows down and stops your vehicle.
Symptoms of Wear or Failure
- Squeaking or grinding noise while braking
- Vehicle pulls to one side while braking
Related Repair Advice
- Brake shoes wear out over time and should be inspected periodically
- Brake shoes can be damaged by defective brake drums and/or leaking wheel cylinders
- We recommend resurfacing the brake drums when the brake shoes are replaced
- Brake repairs are commonly offered at promotional prices that may be lower than the RepairPrice Estimate. Make sure you understand exactly which services are included/excluded in the advertised price.