Brake Caliper Symptoms and Replacement Cost
What is a Brake Caliper?
When the brake pedal is depressed, the brake caliper uses the hydraulic pressure generated by the brake master cylinder to squeeze the brake pads against the brake disc. This clamping force slows down the wheel.
Symptoms of Wear or Failure
- The brake pads on one wheel may wear unevenly
- The vehicle may pull to one side when braking
- Brake fluid loss
Related Repair Advice
- A vehicle may have calipers at each front wheel, or at all four wheels
- We recommend the brake calipers be replaced in pairs and the brake hydraulic system flushed when calipers are replaced
- Brake calipers require replacement when they are leaking fluid or if one or more of the caliper pistons have become stuck
- The shop should inspect the entire brake system and verify that the vehicle stops efficiently and in a straight line