Auto Systems and Repair: Air Conditioning Evaporator
Symptoms of Wear or Failure
- Weak cool air from system (or no cold air at all)
- Strange odor when using the heat or the AC
Related Repair Advice
- It is difficult to detect leaks in the AC evaporator because it's located in the heater/AC case behind the vehicle’s dashboard
- An AC evaporator will need to be replaced if it fails a leak check. To verify if an evaporator is leaking, it may be necessary to partially or totally remove the dashboard.
- We recommend replacing the AC accumulator or drier when the AC evaporator is replaced. The accumulator acts as a moisture and debris filter for the AC system and a new part will keep the repaired system clean.