Volkswagen Vanagon Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your Volkswagen Vanagon
- Leaking Cylinder Head O-rings/Porous Cylinder Heads May Cause Overheating
- Aging plastic components in cooling system may fail unexpectedly
- Transmission damage due to faild transmission oil cooler
- Reverse Gear Failures and Noise in Manual Transmission Models are Common
- Air flow, oxygen, and coolant senosr failures
- 1990 WWestfalia brake failure troubleshooting - suspected master cylnder failure
- Actually it is a 1985. Why does my engine idle then sputter when I give it gas?
- I have a 87 vanagon was running fine. My wife drove it 6 blocks and turned off.
- 1986 Vanagon, automatic transmission drips.
- Light in dash are out. Cant seem to find correct bulbs to fit
Volkswagen Vanagon Problems
Leaking cylinder head O-rings and/or porous cylinder heads can cause coolant loss and engine overheating. A porous cylinder will require replacement.
Aging plastic components in the cooling system—including the connecting pipes to the radiator—can fail unexpectedly.automatic transmission models when the transmission oil cooler fails and allows coolant to mix with the automatic transmission fluid.
Volkswagen Vanagon Questions
Vehicle had been sitting for a few weeks. Started it up, put it in reverse, gave it some gas - felt like something was bound up - vehicle not moving??? check e-brake - off. Gradually/slowly gave it more gas - BOOM! It broke loose and now no brakes! Checked under the vehicle - no fluid on the driv...
I am chasing a possible vaccum leak/air flow or fuel problem on my 1985 VW Vanagon. The problem started with some uphill sputters in second/third gear. Now when I give throttle the problem exists at certain RPM? The engine idles then seems to get to much air or a gas flow issues. I am not familia...
I went to start it 10 minutes later & it will start but dies when I give it gas and is idling very rough. I pulled fuel line & have plenty of fuel pressure at other side of filter. I let it sit overnight with battery unhooked & it started & ran fine until I turned it off. Now it i...
Volkswagen Vanagon Recalls
Volkswagen Vanagon Reviews
Actually -- I drive a Westfalia -- and despite the cost of repairs which must assumed with maintaining one of these beauties -- there is no other form of transport like them! If you love the outdoors -- yet hate to cram tents into hatchbacks -- this is the ultimate answer. It is fun to drive once you have the feel of it and offers many of the comforts of an RV -- without the 50,000 cost. But do...
Van does not run. Injectors are not functioning properly. Does run if ether or gas is sprayed into air intake. Not sure the problem.
My family loves this Vanagon. We go camping all over the west coast and it suits all our needs. We have almost 200,000 miles on her, and the kids are getting older so we may need to get another vehicle soon but we'll miss her. Except for the time the alternator failed when we were in Yosemite, it hasn't left us stranded! My hubby does all the work on it so it stays in good shape!